Menu

Parenthetical documentation

Ok, for every paper I ever wrote, I did footnotes. Plus the internet didn't exist and I never used lectures as a source. I bought the new MLA handbook which is all parenthetical documentation, so that is what we are doing this time. I cannot figure out the following questions despite looking in the index and skimming through:

One son is using Fear's Churchill lecture through the Teaching Company. Now I can look up lecture and it will tell me how to do the works cited, but how do you do the parenthetical part since there are no page numbers?? Should it be ( Fears "The Nazi Menace") since that is the title of the particular lecture?

Ok, for the FDR paragraph he used a pdf from the FDR presidential library. There is no author or anything on it. I don't have a clue how to cite this in the works cited OR the parenthetical part.

Actual Churchill speeches: He is using quotes from Churchill. They were in the articles he read. Does he cite the articles he read or should he cite the actual speeches ( dates, where given) and how exactly do you do this??

Grin.. Both when I taught and when I did them myself, we used books, magazines, encylopedias, and scholarly journals and that was it. I am pulling my hair out and feeling like it shouldn't be this hard.

Christine