Menu

Not Enough Explanation with Kinetic Books

We are using Kinetic Books Pre-Algebra right now for my 12ds. I wanted to use it for Algebra, but I am finding that they do not explain the solutions, just give answers (and just on the odd problems). I am going to have to change curriculum for Algebra and am looking for something that is conceptual, explains well, does not move too fast, and gives solutions to problems. Are there any programs like this?:huh: I was so hoping Kinetic Books would have worked.

Thanks in advance,

Catherine

We are using Kinetic Books Pre-Algebra right now for my 12ds. I wanted to use it for Algebra, but I am finding that they do not explain the solutions, just give answers (and just on the odd problems). I am going to have to change curriculum for Algebra and am looking for something that is conceptual, explains well, does not move too fast, and gives solutions to problems. Are there any programs like this?:huh: I was so hoping Kinetic Books would have worked.

Thanks in advance,

Catherine

I am doing Kinetic Algebra this year and I was having a lot of difficulty with it too so I called the company and they were very helpful and got me all straightened out. :)

Thanks in advance,

Catherine

Well I hope to eventually create a yahoo group and upload all the worked answers, but I generally am slow as a snail so it won't help you much.

Have you thought about using their grading service?

Online Homework

Online grading is available for all of our products. The required functionality is already built into the textbooks. Pricing for this feature is similar to the pricing for comparable products.

* $10 per student per term

Heather

looking for something that is conceptual, explains well, does not move too fast, and gives solutions to problems. Are there any programs like this?

IMO, you just described Teaching Textbooks. My DD13 is using TT very successfully. She is highly academic (typically scores in the 99th percentile on Stanford Achievement tests) and I specifically chose it for the clear instructions and FULL solutions. Do I wish the problems were more rigorous? Sure, but the trade-off is worth it since she is gaining a solid understanding of math and WHY math is important. We're using TT Alg 1 + 2 and calling it Algebra 1 since TT doesn't get to Quadratic Equations until Algebra 2 and that is typically an Algebra 1 level concept.

TT is not for everyone. My DD10 did not like the spiral problem sets. And it does move rather slowly.

How about Jacobs Algebra? There are DVDs and Solutions available:

http://www.veritaspress.com/prodinfo.asp?number=103360

"Solutions Manual for Elementary Algebra

Dale Callahan has collaborated with Harold Jacobs to produce a Solutions Manual for Elementary Algebra. If you're teaching from the Elementary Algebra book, you'll definitely want the solutions manual. It not only contains answers to problems, but actually shows you how to work them out. Terrific resource."

I am going to have to change curriculum for Algebra and am looking for something that is conceptual, explains well, does not move too fast, and gives solutions to problems. Are there any programs like this?:huh: I was so hoping Kinetic Books would have worked.

Thanks in advance,

Catherine

I think you have described MUS Algebra, but many don't feel its tough enough. I am combining it with LOF which does not explain well but offers great thought problems.