Menu

Write with the Best reviews

I saw this recommended in another thread and would love to hear some reviews. Here's a link. I tried to do a search but without much success because of the common words in the title.

I see there are volumes 1 and 2. If you've used them, did you complete both? Did you find them useful? What about with reluctant writers?

Thanks.

I purchased volume 2 for my 6th grader, but I realized as soon as I looked through it that it was too advanced for him. It looks like a good program, but for a student in early logic stage, I would recommend volume 1.

Thanks! I did see where you can print out a decent sample from the website. I think we'll start with the volume 1 sample and give it a try.

We used Volume 2 last year and liked it. However, looking back, I think my DD13 would have gotten more out of it if she had been a year or two older. So I agree that it's a good idea to start with Volume 1 for early logic stage, even for an advanced student.

One nice feature of Write with the Best is that it's easy to apply to any literature source. If your student needs more practice on a lesson, there are suggestions for additional examples so you can repeat the lesson with a new source. For instance, my DD had trouble getting the hang of free verse poetry. We were following the style of Emily Dickinson, so I found some more examples and we spent another week or two on that lesson.

In Volume 2, the Persuasive Essay lesson using Thomas Paine was especially good.

BTW, Write with the Best is also available at Christianbook.com and it's a little cheaper for the 3-ring binder format. They're offering free shipping on orders over $35 thru 12/24 (code: 313147MS)

Edited by amtmcm

We used Volume 2 last year and liked it. However, looking back, I think my DD13 would have gotten more out of it if she had been a year or two older. So I agree that it's a good idea to start with Volume 1 for early logic stage, even for an advanced student.

One nice feature of Write with the Best is that it's easy to apply to any literature source. If your student needs more practice on a lesson, there are suggestions for additional examples so you can repeat the lesson with a new source. For instance, my DD had trouble getting the hang of free verse poetry. We were following the style of Emily Dickinson, so I found some more examples and we spent another week or two on that lesson.

In Volume 2, the Persuasive Essay lesson using Thomas Paine was especially good.

BTW, Write with the Best is also available at Christianbook.com and it's a little cheaper for the 3-ring binder format. They're offering free shipping on orders over $35 thru 12/24 (code: 313147MS)

Thanks, I like you can take it and apply to other lit sources, that's appealing.

I just bought Volume 1 for my 7th grader. We are going to start it after Christmas and spend just one semester on it. After looking over it, I think this pace can be done with a student at this age and writing ability. I'm pretty sure that I would spend a year (or more...repeating the lessons with different material) on it with younger students. For volume 1, there are 9 writing projects...each scheduled for 10 days. So if we stay on track, my ds should be able to complete it in 1 semester. Then I plan to use Volume 2 for an entire year for 8th grade (by giving him longer time for each project...again 9 projects).

Although I cannot speak from experience yet, I really like the format of this writing program. For one, it is interesting and varied. In fact, this is why I purchased this program. My son is a decent writer (for his age and gender :)), but he needs practice writing lots of different kinds of projects. Also, the projects are divided into clear and specific daily assignments. He will know exactly what he is supposed to do each day. Very nice for a homeschool mom!

Jetta