Menu

how to introduce creative writing

So, my son, 10 years old, wants to be a writer...and an actor...and a dancer... and a musician and a..

But writing always comes first. He is a voracious reader and a sensitive one as well. I am surprised at how much he can get from a text at 10 years old.

But he doesn't actually write. Well, he writes for school. He can write one heck of a narritive and he enjoys outlining. I think he finds it amusing to suss out the main ideas.

But no creative writing. He engages in huge, long creative playtimes with his younger brother. I think he is pretty much the best big brother ever. He will come up with these huge adventures and characters and I won't hear from them for hours. They have costumes and props and he plays music. It's a big deal every day.

I am toying with having a gentle introduction to creative writing. I feel like my son does a lot of schoolwork and I hate to add one more thing. But, he always tells me he wants to grow up and be a writer. Well, if I don't introduce him to the craft how is he going to start? At the same time, I don't want to make his fun into work. Writing is hard and it takes such a long time to get it all down.

Any suggestions? If I don't make a specific time for this it won't happen. he won't journal on his own. Just won't. If I can find an even halfway interesting curriculum he would be game. He does much better with "we do this three times a week'. He does not do well with 'here, do this when you can."

We did the NaNoWriMo workbooks in October and they helped tremendously. I didn't know my DS was a writer until last month when he started writing his "novel." Getting him to write is worse than pulling teeth, but the creative freedom really set him free. Have you let your DS just write? Do any free writing? The workbook was very helpful in organizing a story and developing charcter and plot, and it was free. ;)

I saw the NaNoWriMo book and did download it. I am glad to get the reccomendation before starting.

I don't hold him back from creative writing, he just doesn't. It's a skill and there are just so many darn legos to play with and why learn a new skill when that is hard? He has tried on occasion but it gets so BIG in his head and he can't sort it all out or get it down on paper fast enough. It's just easier to tell it all to his brother and then act it out.

I think he needs to start learning some discipline and then he will have the tools to put it on paper.

I probably would let it just stay a fun idea for him, until he shows that he is ready for more. If he were frequently writing, but abandoning stories because he didn't have the skill or discipline to finish them, then yes, studying the craft can be helpful and inspiring.

There is tremendous value in the elaborate play that he sets up with his brother. Writing isn't "better" than that, and it is practice just like a writing curriculum would be practice. Because it's what he chooses to do, it's probably meeting needs that he has right now, and perhaps signalling that he has the heart of a director rather than a writer ;). Who knows?

He's only 10. If he enjoys the writing he currently does in school, just keep that up. Writing outlines, composing simple narratives, and so forth? Those ARE the fundamental skills he will need in any type of writing. Character development, plot tracking, any creative writing skills, are best taught after the basics are in place, imo. And the best time to teach them is after a writer has had experience screaming in frustration, because he has written himself into a corner and can't finish the story. They really appreciate it then :lol:.

I don't hold him back from creative writing, he just doesn't.

This sentence is the main reason I say to wait and see what happens. In my experience, writers . . . write! They do it on their own, it's a compulsion. They may not write well, they may start one story after another and not have the discipline to complete any of them, but they write. That's not to say that your son will never be a writer, just that he's not a writer NOW. He may be revealing his writer's heart in other ways, but it's much easier to learn the craft when you are at the point of readiness. Laying seed in fertile ground, so to speak.

You can take dictation from him. Encourage him to record the stories that he makes up, or his imaginative play story lines. Encourage him to make videos. Give him outlets other than just writing things down.

Make sure that he hears or reads a lot of different kinds of literature, including poetry.

Talk about words and using precise and strong words in sentences. Play with a thesaurus.

Writing Strands has a fair amount of room for creative writing. The best curriculum I know of for it is Writer's Jungle.

Just let him go for now. You may think that lax, but by what you are saying, he has an enormous imaginative life--and that is just about the most important thing ever. If he wants to write as he gets older, he will. But until then, keep cramming him full of stories. Good ones. He should be reading THE ONCE AND FUTURE KING by now which is a favorite of our family, Robin Hood, all kinds of legends and myths. When he starts to write he will have a huge well of literature to pull from. Make sure he reads the classics, the Iliad and Odyssey, Beowulf, everything that is in TWTM for his age in literature. You really can't go wrong with that.

I probably would let it just stay a fun idea for him, until he shows that he is ready for more. If he were frequently writing, but abandoning stories because he didn't have the skill or discipline to finish them, then yes, studying the craft can be helpful and inspiring.

There is tremendous value in the elaborate play that he sets up with his brother. Writing isn't "better" than that, and it is practice just like a writing curriculum would be practice. Because it's what he chooses to do, it's probably meeting needs that he has right now, and perhaps signalling that he has the heart of a director rather than a writer ;). Who knows?

:iagree::iagree:

if you read the biographies of famous writers, many of them were noted in their childhoods for being wild storytellers -- oral, not written -- with siblings and friends; and in many there was a huge emphasis on acting out stories, playing pretend, etc. This is a wonderful background.

Many people who followed that general pattern began writing a bit later, and then became really serious about it in their mid to late teens or even twenties. At this point they generally find people or books to help them, ask for instruction, or signal their desire to have more formal knowledge about what they're doing.

Also, consider that "being a writer" does not have to mean being a writer of fiction! That's only one part of the enormous range of genres and types of writing a professional can choose to do.

Oh thank you all so much for your thoughful replies. I have been reading and thinking about it all.

I think at the lease I am going to wait until next year. 6th grade seems like a good time to start. That gives me this year to educate myself more about teaching creative writing. And I may decide to wait longer depending on what develops.

Director, huh? I have thought that myself. He and his 5 year old brother have a plan: The big one is going to write books and the younger is going to turn them into movies :lol: Right now the 5 year old is obsessed with how to turn The Odyssey into a movie "that is for kids and is good" Their idea of cutting edge technology is claymation so who knows what they will come up with.

It is good to hear that even though he isn't putting pen to paper that he is doing important work.

I hope this thread grows with other ideas and suggestions!

I really agree with that approach. And then if he enjoys the first 2 books he will be asking for the other titles. Children love to collect. Those are the exact 2 I would start with, and I also think two books is the perfect # to start with.

The first book in the series that I saw, was the poetry book and I was most impressed. I just cannot recommend this series enough. It is so well done!

It's the whole lifestyle aspect of bravewriter that I find intimidating. It's one of the reasons I chose not to do MCT. We already do WWE and are very happy with that. I manage to do a lesson 4 times a week. So, I am already doing copywork and dictation and narration.

I love the way that WWE teaches writing but it does not have a creative component. That's not what it is for. I do agree with SWB that creative writing cannot be forced. But if he doesn't even try then how will he know if it is something he would like?

Of course, after this year there is the very real possibility that I won't have a writing curriculum. I don't have much hope that Writing With Skill will actually be done before next year. I have a little hope but not much.

So, if that happens, then maybe Bravewriter it is.

Lifestyle, huh?

I strongly encourage you to try NaNoWriMo next year. Start the workbook several weeks in advance. It lets them plan characters, plot and so much more. One of my kids has started several novels, but never finished. He was excited to try NaNoWriMo. My other has always been a natural writer, but the idea of thousands of words terrified her. For the month of November, they both looked forward to writing every day, they wrote during free time and they both made their goals. Neither one finished their novel and they both decided the didn't like their stories enough to continue, but we ALL agree we will do NaNoWriMo every year from now on. It was the best creative writing experience any of us had ever had!