Menu

Genevieve Foster history books - do your DC like these?

Michelle T

These are scheduled in Sonlight's Cores 6 and 7. I'm wondering how easy they are for kids to follow? My guy is 11, but with poor comprehension and retention. I'm concerned that he won't be able to follow the Foster books, as they seem to really cover a lot of info.

Opinions? Do you think a younger-elementary child could enjoy these?

Michelle T

I used them as wrap-ups for history time periods during logic stage. I think they make good read-alouds or read-alones for that age. However, they do cover a LOT of ground and so if someone has trouble with comprehension/retention, then I think they could become very confusing and maybe frustrating for them - even if you are reading them aloud. Now, maybe if you covered them very slowly, it might help with some of that problem - I'm just not sure....

Regena

We did Core 7 last year when my kids were 13.5yo, 11yo, and 8.5yo. My 13.5yo and 8.5yo tolerated the Foster books. They did learn from them, but didn't care for them too much.

My 11yo LOVED the Foster books. She liked them so much that she asked me to buy all of them.

I thought the Foster books were pretty choppy at the beginning, but got better. At the beginning of the books, they jumped around a lot.

We liked the Foster books overall, but because they are trying to cover the entire world for a specific time period they tend to jump around from person to person and place to place. If your child has a hard time remembering several different story lines or lots of different names, he might have a hard time with them.

My son (who has a hard time remembering several different story lines and lots of different names) generally liked the books, particularly the American history parts. When he would forget who was who or what had happened when, I would just remind him and we would go on (assuming that I remembered!:))