Menu

Teaching Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows to Homeschoolers

I’ve written up a very detailed lesson plan for teaching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for homeschoolers: http://www.knittedthoughts.com/2010/12/harry-potter-homeschool-craft.html

I homeschool my own 2 daughters and teach a class on Harry Potter at the Huckleberry Center for Creative Learning and have had many discussions with parents about the series. The book (and movie) includes the rather difficult concept of “horcruxes†and this lesson (which includes a really nice writing component and craft) helps kids understand what Rowling is doing in this book and why it is so dark. The ultimate message of the series is actually quite life affirming and I think if your kids have read the book or seen the movie it’s important to discuss how the horcruxes lead to this ultimate message. My lesson plan is really fun for the kids and opens up a door for discussing these more difficult ideas. If you enjoy it and find it useful, please feel free to repost to facebook or other homeschooling forums or email it to anyone you think might benefit – homeschooled or not, this would be a fun craft and great educational opportunity for all kids.

Enjoy!

Holly Van Houten