Menu

Yeah, most kids need "hair under their arms" to do algebra, but not all do. I decided to just keep moving ahead and deal with the brick wall when we hit it. I think my kid just jumped it and kept going.

I tried slowing him down. I added in all the suggested "living math" books, we did two programs at each level, I didn't allow him to do more than 45 minutes each day, but he kept on learning and making great leaps in his understanding.

The reason we took him out of school was because he wasn't being challenged, so why would I want to do the same to him at home? I do not push him. He just eats it up.

He started algebra just before he turned nine. LOF did get a little heavy (their prealgebra wasn't out yet) so we switched to MMM (Cornerstone) Algebra and then went back to LOF and he flew through it. We did MMM geometry (very light) and he is now over half way through LOF Geometry (he turned ten two weeks ago).

When he finishes that I will give him the choice - he can do LOF Algebra 2 if he wants a challenge or else LOF Statistics (which only requires Algebra 1).

I say keep doing what she wants to do and keep an eye out for the brick wall, which may or may not be a problem.

We opted to continue at his pace. Ds is doing algebra this year. My thinking is that we hit a brick wall, we back up. But he's been asking to do algebra for about three years but wasn't quite there until now. So far it's going great. My current plan is to continue on, probably doing geometry next year. If he runs into any struggles this year we MAY do a second year of algebra using a different curriculum.

If you wanted to go wider there are certainly many options. I haven't used them, but Patty Paper Geometry has been mentioned a lot. Another option is the AoPS books on Number Theory or Counting & Probability, but I believe those would come after algebra.

Go for it.

I remember a speaker (an author of a math program) at my first HS convention say that Middle school math doesn't really exist. Once they know the 4 operations, fractions decimals and percents... MOVE ON. It obviously resonated with me as it was 4 years ago. ;)

I agree, some things might be harder at some point and that is when you slow down, when you get to those hard spots. Otherwise, onward!

I strongly believe in letting children progress at their own speed.

My 6th grader is successfully studying algebra, using Art of problem Solving (which is by no means a "light" curriculum). My 8th grader has just gotten an A in an algebra and trigonometry based college physics class.

Keep in mind that what is considered the typical scope and sequence in the US is not a worldwide standard; many countries have their students progress faster in math. Also, any "standard" is geared towards the average student - your child may not be this average student.

I keep hearing the "developmentally not ready" thing - and have not encountered it. IMO, with a proper preparation through rigorous arithmetic and prealgebra training, a child will be ready for algebra at a much younger age than educators want us to believe.

There are two similar threads on the Accelerated learner forum right now.

Ds, who just turned 11 a couple of weeks ago, is doing Foerster Algebra with no problems. He has not shown any sign of slowing down. I expect him to finish his algebra book by the end of Feb. next year. I plan to have him go through AoPS's algebra book or class in the spring to stall him for a bit.

He is also taking AoPS's online Mathcounts Basic which is very challenging for him. I do recommend letting her go at her own pace, but I also think for a person who breathes math, branching out is important. AoPS has Counting and Probability, and Number Theory books that you might want to look into. Competition Math for Middle School, which AoPS carries, is also a good book for branching out. Here is the link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Competition-Math-Middle-School-Batterson/dp/1441488871/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291411538&sr=8-1

A lot of curriculums add in some algebra at very young ages. Just because you introduce algebra, doesn't mean you can't veer off into units on easy trig and easy statistics too, and even circle back to some advanced word problems on fractions and percents.

There is no reason you need to work systematically through an American textbook, especially when you are ahead.

Play, jump ship, use a little of it all. Study topology and probability and ancient ways of doing math.

Introducing algebra doesn't have to mean racing ahead.