Menu

New baker's dozen with muffins?...

OK, I am not a muffin baker. Recently I began making muffins for my family. I've tried the healthy, blueberry muffin recipe that has been linked here several times and I have tried the blueberry muffin recipe from my Fannie Farmer book. Both times I followed the recipes to the letter and filled the cups per the recipe instructions. Each time I only had enough batter for 11 muffins.

What gives?:confused:

I rarely get a dozen here either.

I read a interview with a recipe book writer who said that they would just round off their recipes to a "good baking number". That drove me up the wall! Why don't they tell the truth?

I wish I knew where I read that interview, there were some other crazy things in it too.

Well, isn't this just the weirdest recipe blooper I've ever seen!!! I've been cooking for over 40 years but baking muffins is new to me.

Recently I purchased brand new, regular sized Wilson muffin tins. With each recipe I've tried so far, I've been careful to only fill the cups as recommended in that particular recipe. The "healthy" recipe that keeps circulating on TWTM board says to fill muffin cups to the top. My Fannie Farmer recipe says to fill cups 2/3's full. Each recipe I follow to the letter and still come up short with enough dough for only 11 muffins.

How come these muffins recipes are not written up with enough ingredient amounts to provide dough for the promised "dozen"? Or why don't they simply say "makes 11 muffins"? Does this mean I'll have to convert every muffin recipe I use, increasing ingr amounts from 11 muffin recipes to 12 muffin recipes? (What a headache! :( ) I mean, if I'm going to dirty a 12-cup muffin tin, I want to produce 12 muffins, darn it!!!:mad:

Oh, and even my wand doesn't seem to be fixing this problem:o