Menu

How have you approached the plays on the 8th grade reading list?

Whenever we study plays, we watch them on DVD with script (book) in hand. Most times we watch straight through 1 x and then watch a second with the book stopping the disc @ specific things I want to point out, or some scene we need to discuss. Plays are meant to be experienced with actors and scenery etc. We do Shakespeare like this as well.

Faithe

P.S. I usually use whatever discs the library has.

Whenever we study plays, we watch them on DVD with script (book) in hand. Most times we watch straight through 1 x and then watch a second with the book stopping the disc @ specific things I want to point out, or some scene we need to discuss. Plays are meant to be experienced with actors and scenery etc. We do Shakespeare like this as well.

Faithe

Yes, we've enjoyed Shakespeare this way, but haven't tried any others. Do you remember seeing any good versions of the plays on the Modern list? Our library is pathetic. I was planning to use Netflix.

Faithe

We did it the opposite way - LOL!

The first time through we read the play and discussed anything that was confusing. That year my sons were in 8th and 5th, so we read them out loud and discussed as we went. (Think of Nan's descriptions of doing literature when she had two sons at home.)

ETA: I used WEM to help me think through the discussions. I concentrated on the novel questions more than the play questions (especially with them).

Anyway, after reading and discussing we would watch the play (usually from the library) and not have to stop it unless someone just couldn't contain a comment - LOL!

ps - I'm not saying this process really helped my DS's fall in love with plays - LOL! Although, my older DS was able to enjoy the ancient Greek plays his 9th grade year, even though we didn't watch any on DVD.

Edited by Rhondabee

I'm sorry, but I think reading a play is horrible and tedious. The only thing worse is having to sit in class and listen to those horrible tapes day after day after day.:tongue_smilie: Plays are meant to be watched. We watch them and stop every so often to discuss things, list characters (in a Shakespeare play where it can get confusing), look at the text and talk about important quotes, etc. I don't know anything at all about your list, but we just did Our Town using this method. We watched the version with Paul Newman as the Stage Manager. I was bawling in that last act.

Another idea that might work with a co-op is one that I used in my honors class for modern drama. Each group had 3 people. They had to act out a scene from the play. One person wrote an essay about the author, one person about themes, symbols, etc., and another one summarized the entire play. They acted out the scene and summarized the information from the reports. Everyone had an equal share and the children learned about a lot of plays..

Christine

I'm sorry, but I think reading a play is horrible and tedious. The only thing worse is having to sit in class and listen to those horrible tapes day after day after day.:tongue_smilie:

Christine

Not sure if you're "I'm sorry" is directed at me...but it feels like an insult.

I would agree that reading a play by oneself when you've never read one before and the verbage is a little out-of-date and you're a pre-teen is a rather tedious experience. But, when you read a play *out loud* with a group, even just a small group of 3 people, that's a bit different. They even do this for fun on StarTrek - LOL!

(I think LoriD calls it "popcorn reading" - we divvied up the parts. It wasn't just *me* reading out loud.)

I don't really know what I will do when my now-7th grader (who was then in 5th grade) re-reads that list. (He will read it next year.) It won't be the same having only one student, and I will have to do it differently than I did before - but I don't think I could do it any better.

Se la vie~

Not sure if you're "I'm sorry" is directed at me...but it feels like an insult.

I would agree that reading a play by oneself when you've never read one before and the verbage is a little out-of-date and you're a pre-teen is a rather tedious experience. But, when you read a play *out loud* with a group, even just a small group of 3 people, that's a bit different. They even do this for fun on StarTrek - LOL!

(I think LoriD calls it "popcorn reading" - we divvied up the parts. It wasn't just *me* reading out loud.)

I don't really know what I will do when my now-7th grader (who was then in 5th grade) re-reads that list. (He will read it next year.) It won't be the same having only one student, and I will have to do it differently than I did before - but I don't think I could do it any better.

Se la vie~

We've done this sort of reading with Shakespeare, and it has been quite enjoyable. When I still had 5 teenage boys at home, we had a blast with Othello. Often we will then watch a movie version. We've also enjoyed watching a movie version with script in hand and at other times without script in hand and without a prior reading.

I haven't yet done anything but Shakespeare this way, and now I'm wondering why I haven't. In years past, I've ignored the plays on the Modern/Eighth grade reading list.

I think I should have asked my original question differently. I think I should have said, "Can you suggest some good movie versions of the plays on the Modern/Eighth grade list?" I am especially wondering which movie versions stay true to the original play. Then I can decide what combination of reading and watching and discussing we'll do for each of the plays.

Thank you, Rhonda, for your input. It's always much appreciated.

I'm sorry, but I think reading a play is horrible and tedious. The only thing worse is having to sit in class and listen to those horrible tapes day after day after day.:tongue_smilie: Plays are meant to be watched. We watch them and stop every so often to discuss things, list characters (in a Shakespeare play where it can get confusing), look at the text and talk about important quotes, etc. I don't know anything at all about your list, but we just did Our Town using this method. We watched the version with Paul Newman as the Stage Manager. I was bawling in that last act.

Another idea that might work with a co-op is one that I used in my honors class for modern drama. Each group had 3 people. They had to act out a scene from the play. One person wrote an essay about the author, one person about themes, symbols, etc., and another one summarized the entire play. They acted out the scene and summarized the information from the reports. Everyone had an equal share and the children learned about a lot of plays..

Christine

I understand what you're saying, but as noted below, reading together with each person taking a part/parts can actually be enjoyable if you have enough people. We've done Shakespeare this way, and I have friends (young high school and college age kids) who have gotten together to do it this way just for fun.

Reading a play all by one's lonesome does sound horrific though.

Dd just listened to Julius Caesar using Shakespeare Appreciated from Audible.com and really enjoyed it. I listened with her, we paused often for discussion (often at her prompting), and we both got a lot out of the play (I was able to see a few things very clearly this time through that escaped me in previous read-through/viewing).

While I think any reading of a play should be followed up with a viewing IF one is readily available, I don't think anyone should avoid a particular play just because a viewable version isn't available. The truth is, many of us live in rural areas where local theatres NEVER do great plays and the local library doesn't have a good selection. Realistically, BUYING all of these plays on DVD can be prohibitive for many of us, and an extravagance we won't indulge in for many more who *could* afford them but choose not to buy them all anyway.

Dd just listened to Julius Caesar using Shakespeare Appreciated from Audible.com and really enjoyed it. I listened with her, we paused often for discussion (often at her prompting), and we both got a lot out of the play (I was able to see a few things very clearly this time through that escaped me in previous read-through/viewing).

While I think any reading of a play should be followed up with a viewing IF one is readily available, I don't think anyone should avoid a particular play just because a viewable version isn't available. The truth is, many of us live in rural areas where local theatres NEVER do great plays and the local library doesn't have a good selection. Realistically, BUYING all of these plays on DVD can be prohibitive for many of us, and an extravagance we won't indulge in for many more who *could* afford them but choose not to buy them all anyway.

Thanks for this. We, too, live in a rural area. Our library is very small. I am finding a bunch of plays on Netflix. I think though that I will have to preview before showing them to my dc. I had hoped someone might have had some experience with them. Maybe I should ask on the high school board.

Yes, we've enjoyed Shakespeare this way, but haven't tried any others. Do you remember seeing any good versions of the plays on the Modern list? Our library is pathetic. I was planning to use Netflix.

Our Town with Buddy Ibson and Gwyneth O'Connor was a big hit

Death of a Salesman with Dustin Hoffman

Streetcar named Desire with Marlon Brando

Those are 3 that come to mind, but I will go look up which ones we watched. I am up to Moderns again, so this is a geed time for me to look.

Faithe

I understand what you're saying, but as noted below, reading together with each person taking a part/parts can actually be enjoyable if you have enough people. We've done Shakespeare this way, and I have friends (young high school and college age kids) who have gotten together to do it this way just for fun.

Reading a play all by one's lonesome does sound horrific though.

We have also done this as a family...reading a play with everyone having a part, and it is really fun. My boys can really ham it up! They usually end up having me laugh so hard I can't read m lines....:lol: Shakespeare is especially fun.

Faithe

I'm sorry, but I think reading a play is horrible and tedious. The only thing worse is having to sit in class and listen to those horrible tapes day after day after day.:tongue_smilie: Plays are meant to be watched.

I agree that plays are meant to be watched, but I confess that I am having a hard time understanding all of Shakespeare's language. Maybe it is because I am not a native speaker; though I have heard from native speakers who have trouble with the slightly archaic vocabulary themselves.

I was just watching Henry V with my son the other night and I understood only about half of the lines.

So, for plays like this, I find it beneficial to read them beforehand so that I can understand what they say.

Do you all understand Shakespearean language just like that???

edit: I have read plays out loud with my DD where we took turns reading teh parts- much more fun than reading silently.

I put this on the high school board, too.

I was hesitant at first, not wanting to violate any copyright, but I found the list on the website and so thought it would be okay.

Here is the list of modern period logic stage plays:

“The Importance of Being Earnest,†Oscar Wilde

“Pygmalion,†George Bernard Shaw

“The Crucible,†Arthur Miller

“A Man for All Seasons,†Robert Bolt

I found this list here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/the-g...as-literature/

Has anyone seen any good productions of these?

I think I should have asked my original question differently. I think I should have said, "Can you suggest some good movie versions of the plays on the Modern/Eighth grade list?" I am especially wondering which movie versions stay true to the original play.

I just always assumed for plays that any video stayed true to the original. Otherwise, it would have a different name. For example, if you get a DVD labeled "Pygmalion" that will be true to the original play. But, the musical "My Fair Lady" is an adaptation of the play. (We watched My Fair Lady after reading Pygmalion. And my then-5th grader actually read an adaptation while my 8th-grader and I read the play now that I think about it.)

Anyway, all the plays we got from the library were always true to the original...can't say they were the "best" versions out there, just what was free!

No, I don't understand them all and to be honest it would take PAINFULLY studying each line and looking up the references etc. I get gist of what they are saying and to me that is enough except for important quotes. I always got top scores in my vocabulary, though. I read Huckleberry Finn and Jane Eyre in 5th grade for fun... I still remember the librarian saying I shouldn't check them out because I wouldn't understand them. I did, and proceeded to give her an oral narration when I returned them!!! I hate that. I hear about teachers doing that to the kids here in middle school. I'm sorry, but if a child wants to try, then let them try. They may not understand ALL of it, but so what?? They can always reread it when they are older... GRRR...one of my pet peeves.

Christine

I agree that plays are meant to be watched, but I confess that I am having a hard time understanding all of Shakespeare's language. Maybe it is because I am not a native speaker; though I have heard from native speakers who have trouble with the slightly archaic vocabulary themselves.

I was just watching Henry V with my son the other night and I understood only about half of the lines.

So, for plays like this, I find it beneficial to read them beforehand so that I can understand what they say.

edit: I have read plays out loud with my DD where we took turns reading teh parts- much more fun than reading silently.

It's an acquired skill, to some degree. The more exposure you have, the easier it gets. What's worked best for us (and I think this is how WTM suggests you do it) is first reading a summary of the play to get the gist of the plot, next watching a production, and finally reading the play.

DS recently did a selection from Much Ado About Nothing for a speech competition. Different judges gave him anywhere from 1st place to last place in the same round. It was really funny. Some judges sat their with a blank look while others were laughing so hard they had tears rolling down their face. I think it all depended on how much previous exposure they had to Shakespeare.

The first time I watched Henry V, I just didn't get it at all. It was one of the first Shakespeares I watched. Now I can't watch it without weeping during the St. Crispin's day speech.

The more Shakespeare plays you watch and read, the easier it gets to understand them.

Edited by Luann in ID
Somehow the title of DS's play disappeared.

It's an acquired skill, to some degree. The more exposure you have, the easier it gets. What's worked best for us (and I think this is how WTM suggests you do it) is first reading a summary of the play to get the gist of the plot, next watching a production, and finally reading the play.

Yep, I forgot that is what we did with Shakespeare. I did have them read a summary type book for each play first before we watched it. Good point.. And you are absolutely correct..it gets easier. When I taught it to 5 classes a day every day, I guess I have a pretty good background..

Christine

DS recently did a selection fromfor a speech competition. Different judges gave him anywhere from 1st place to last place in the same round. It was really funny. Some judges sat their with a blank look while others were laughing so hard they had tears rolling down their face. I think it all depended on how much previous exposure they had to Shakespeare.

I still remember showing Much Ado About Nothing to my 10th graders. They were rolling on the floor and laughing and crying. One of them looked at me and said, "Mrs. ..., this can't be Shakespeare. It's funny. Shakespeare is only sad!" :tongue_smilie: Nope, that is all they have them study in school, though!!

Christine

Thanks for this. We, too, live in a rural area. Our library is very small. I am finding a bunch of plays on Netflix. I think though that I will have to preview before showing them to my dc. I had hoped someone might have had some experience with them. Maybe I should ask on the high school board.

I *just* signed up for Netflix so I plan to start viewing/previewing soon. Perhaps we can post again soon to review some plays?

The Great Performances website has plays that you can watch on your computer. This seems like a nice option if your library is lacking.

Oddly enough the straight plays seem to be listed under musical theatre for genre.

Once you pick a play there are a number of helps including educator guides, interviews with actors and other info. Some of the works listed only have an introduction and/or one scene. Others have the full performance.

Update: This seems to be a listing of the full performances available.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

The Great Performances website has plays that you can watch on your computer. This seems like a nice option if your library is lacking.

Oddly enough the straight plays seem to be listed under musical theatre for genre.

Once you pick a play there are a number of helps including educator guides, interviews with actors and other info. Some of the works listed only have an introduction and/or one scene. Others have the full performance.

Update: This seems to be a listing of the full performances available.

Wow. This is just amazing. Thank you so much!