Menu

How to write a good essay?

I have been trying to write essays for awhile now, but I think I need a guide on how to do it. I have essays to write for literature, history, and sometimes biology and I would really like to perfect my skills on writing a good essay. Does anyone know of any type of curricula/link that I could use to perfect my writing skills? Any books or experience?:bigear:

Sure, you can go through a bunch of theory and "how-to"s; however, in practice, it basically comes down to two things - (i) a lot of reading, to expand your vocabulary, soak up many different styles of writing and to be able to formulate a coherent thought and then to tie together various coherent thoughts and (ii) "trial and error" method, with having a person strong in language and analytical thinking tear your essays to pieces, pointing out to errors in logic, phrasing, language usage, style, etc. With a lot of experience and a lot of reading, you will build up your essay writing skills.

You could look at purchasing Write for College by Great Source

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Source-Write-College-Handbook/dp/0669444014/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291240359&sr=8-1

You can get used copies really cheap. It's a really good resource to have on hand to teach you about different types of essays and the writing process. It also gives examples of each type of writing it talks about it. The link on Amazon will let you take a peak inside.

Sure, you can go through a bunch of theory and "how-to"s; however, in practice, it basically comes down to two things - (i) a lot of reading, to expand your vocabulary, soak up many different styles of writing and to be able to formulate a coherent thought and then to tie together various coherent thoughts and (ii) "trial and error" method, with having a person strong in language and analytical thinking tear your essays to pieces, pointing out to errors in logic, phrasing, language usage, style, etc. With a lot of experience and a lot of reading, you will build up your essay writing skills.

That is exactly what I have been trying to do! Lol, I think I just need some more practice and I will be on my way to writing a good essay. My mom says I write good essays but sometimes I add unneccessary information.:D Practice makes perfect!

You could look at purchasing Write for College by Great Source

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Source-Write-College-Handbook/dp/0669444014/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291240359&sr=8-1

You can get used copies really cheap. It's a really good resource to have on hand to teach you about different types of essays and the writing process. It also gives examples of each type of writing it talks about it. The link on Amazon will let you take a peak inside.

Thank you for the link, this looks like a great book!

It won't offer critical feedback, but it does provide a nice frame work for working through the fundamentals.

Thank you so much for the help!

I have been trying to write essays for awhile now, but I think I need a guide on how to do it. I have essays to write for literature, history, and sometimes biology and I would really like to perfect my skills on writing a good essay. Does anyone know of any type of curricula/link that I could use to perfect my writing skills? Any books or experience?:bigear:

One online resource for helping with the small tweaks and bigger tweaks

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/677/01/

Maybe some of the exercise practices in there would help to perfect some of the specific skills you and your mom are noticing in your writing.

-crystal

One online resource for helping with the small tweaks and bigger tweaks

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/677/01/

Maybe some of the exercise practices in there would help to perfect some of the specific skills you and your mom are noticing in your writing.

-crystal

This is a great link for writing help, thank you so much!