Menu

Keeping Christmas cookies fresh when made ahead

I know that every year thousands of people make dozens and dozens of different kinds of holiday cookies ahead of time. What I don't know if how they keep them all fresh so I've never made Christmas cookies.

We're having a party and I'd like to have trays out with a variety of cookies. I know I can't make all of those cookies the day before the party...so, how to you keep them fresh so you aren't serving stale, dried-out cookies to your guests?

Honestly, I don't think most Christmas cookies taste so great after being frozen for any significant length of time. My MIL used to have a cookie party around Thanksgiving and freeze hundreds and hundreds of different types of cookies. Then she would have an open house at Christmas and put them out. They all tasted the same to me and just weren't very good anymore. I wonder, though, if part of the problem was that she froze lots of different kinds together in one container. Maybe if she had separated out the different types into different containers, she would have gotten better results.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Honestly, I don't think most Christmas cookies taste so great after being frozen for any significant length of time.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I consider myself a good baker, and I'm sorry, but a previously frozen cookie will never taste fresh.

But I also feel that way about almost all food items. I guess it depends on the expectations of those eating the cookies.

Drink flats= the cardboard short-sided half box that a case of 12-ounce Pepsi cans comes on.

I've never had a problem with taste deteriorating during the month. I freeze as soon as possible after taking cookies from the oven. Like is packed with like. I don't want my peanut butter blossoms in the same bag as my sugar cookies.

Four ideas for you -

For chocolate chip, white chocolate macadamia nut, and similar cookies, mix the dough and shape into logs. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Then when you need the cookies, slice and bake.

Some cookie recipes can be used to make multiple types of cookies. Look in older cookbooks to find these recipes.

Host a cookie swap. Organize a group of friends. Each of you make several dozen of one or two types of cookie. Then swap cookies. That way each of you will have one to two dozen of each type of cookie.

My mother would make the cookies and put them into tins. One type of cookie per tin. They always tasted just fine.

Except for a few cookies (meringues, for example) I bake ahead and FREEZE! I have a deep freezer in the basement, and in November try and use up a lot of stuff to have room for cookies. In fact, as of today I have six different types of cookies already in the deep freeze (I do keep some out for us to eat as I go..and some like Andes mint I will have to make two or three times to still have any for Christmas). Two days before Christmas I bring up all the different cookies, spread the containers out on the dining room table, and make cookies plates to give away, fill our cookie platter, and then return to the freezer those not needed (yet). I average 18 different types of cookies each year - some I make every year, but I try to allow for a couple new recipes each year, too.

Zip lock plastic bags are good for storing cookies - set the bags in one of the many Amazon boxes you have on hand ;) and stack the boxes in the deep freeze. The boxes keep the cookies from getting smashed. You do want to keep each type of cookie in its own bags - and remove as much air as possible from the bag as you seal it.

Edited by JFSinIL

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Freezing-Cookies-and-Cookie-Dough/Detail.aspx

I'm freezing doughs and baked cookies this year, since ds will probably be born just a week before Christmas, and I'm not working from scratch straight out of the hospital!

I ran a test batch of spritz cookies and froze them for a couple of days. They were perfectly fine.