Menu

X post: Knowing Mathematics reviews please

Pam L in Mid Tenn

I have the 4th Grade materials. I can't say I've spent a great deal of time with them or, except in very small doses with my 6 year old (not the intended audience), used them to teach a child. So I can't really give a proper review.

Since I don't know of anyone else who has used these I will say the program seems to move fast. I said in the other thread that my feeling was a relatively bright child who had a poor math education might do better than a child of average intelligence who was/is struggling at math due to the pace of this program. I could be wrong about this, but that's my impression. The goal of KM is to bring a child up several grade levels in 13 weeks. Seems ambitious to me.

I don't know how easy it would be to compact Math Mammoth, but think I'd try that for remediation over a longer term than moving through KM so quickly. MM is not the math program we use (in the interest of full disclosure) but Maria Miller's explanations are so clear and the follow up problems so well designed to compliment the teaching topic in the previews I've seen, that that's where I think I would would go.

Sorry I can't do better than giving an "impression."

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Do take it with a grain of salt.

I'm trying to be objective, but in this case I'm finding it difficult to separate my impression of KM from my perspective as the father of a 6 year old. A 6 year old who is fast on the uptake, but still a 6 year old.

I would happily run a older child who was going well in a "traditional" math program through KM, as a way to transition them to a whole-parts (Asian-style) math program.

The question I would ask is how much review do you think the child needs? KM moves fast. There are workbook problems, but it moves at a sprightly pace. That could be good for those who "get it" but might lose those who don't.

Bill

Thanks for the further explanation. My child "gets it".... just needs lots of review.... with a bit of "gap filling." In fact, he doesn't need the extensive remediation that I thought he would need when I first posted the question in the spring.

Still musing....

But thanks!

Not being an MM user myself I'm sure others could give you better advice than I, but I know Math Mammoth has materials organized by topic designed to "fill gaps" and plenty of materials aimed at review.

I may be wrong, but I believe Maria Miller started MM as a remediation program of sorts when she was tutoring (these materials are her Gold series).

There are many knowledgable MM users on this forum. You might look at the materials in preview online and then ask users here if they think it would meet you needs and they could help you get the specific items that might help you. Everything I've seen in the MM material is very well explained, and there is a plenty of review and application. I have not seen anything better for this need.

Bill