Menu

How do I apply for scholarships?

LuvingLife

I am trying to get into college for practically nothing. I know it sounds crazy, but I really need college to be paid in full or close to it. We really don't have a lot of money, and I don't have any kind of job at all.

Is there anyway I can get scholarships like this, or anything like this? If so, how would I go about applying for this?

I am trying to get into college for practically nothing. I know it sounds crazy, but I really need college to be paid in full or close to it. We really don't have a lot of money, and I don't have any kind of job at all.

Is there anyway I can get scholarships like this, or anything like this? If so, how would I go about applying for this?

Quite honestly, the best way to get college almost paid for via scholarships it to get the highest GPA and ACT/SAT test scores you can while still living a life that provides a good extra curricular or two for the application. Then look at schools where you are a bit above the average applicant with your test scores. Colleges, themselves, often give the best financial aid in this aspect.

For outside scholarships, check with any clubs you or your parents belong to, any church you go to, any workplaces, banks or credit unions, and keep eyes on the newspaper as some are listed there. Our ps guidance office puts out a monthly packet of scholarship opportunities for all students, then you narrow it down by interests or other aspects when applying. It's competitive, but some can be won. My oldest won two - one smaller and "one time" and another decent sized and "renewable." What the college itself offered was still more, but added together, they made a nice amount.

In essence, scholarships are pretty much someone deciding to "sponsor" a student through college. Most want that student to be somehow affiliated with something they like (clubs, work, etc) or they want to sponsor someone who shows the most promise to do well (via grades, test scores, art portfolios or the like).

Via test scores and GPA alone, some schools will promise free tuition. Alabama comes to mind with a minimum ACT of 32. Others (like Pitt) have full scholarships they offer, but on a more competitive basis.

So, to pay yourself, study, learn, do practice tests, and get the highest you can get while still enjoying the rest of life.

Note: MANY feel the "tests" are not fair, do not gauge ability, or whatever, but honestly? It's what most scholarships are based on regardless of whether the above is true or not.

Note 2: If you aren't looking for an academic major (thinking sports, music or art, etc), testing is less important in general than things in those fields - lower scores on tests could still get you a nice scholarship if you've won awards in sports/music/art.

Some colleges provide merit aid (as Creekland described in her post) but others only give financial aid. If you are admitted, these schools will often provide substantial aid to lower income students. The aid package might include loans and a work study position. Not all aid comes in the form of a direct grant.

The income you could earn in a summer job will not pay for much these days with the way college costs are going, but I would encourage you to seek out summer employment or maybe a few hours of babysitting during the school year. Every bit you put away now for your books and expenses will be less that you have to borrow. Further, an employer could potentially provide a letter of recommendation. Homeschoolers are often asked to have a recommendation from someone outside the home.

Good luck.

Some colleges provide merit aid (as Creekland described in her post) but others only give financial aid. If you are admitted, these schools will often provide substantial aid to lower income students. The aid package might include loans and a work study position. Not all aid comes in the form of a direct grant.

The income you could earn in a summer job will not pay for much these days with the way college costs are going, but I would encourage you to seek out summer employment or maybe a few hours of babysitting during the school year. Every bit you put away now for your books and expenses will be less that you have to borrow. Further, an employer could potentially provide a letter of recommendation. Homeschoolers are often asked to have a recommendation from someone outside the home.

Good luck.

Absolutely true! Don't think you have to have all your college money in the form of scholarships. Many colleges provide decent need based aid too. You will need your folks to fill out the financial aid form when the time comes though.

Quite honestly, the best way to get college almost paid for via scholarships it to get the highest GPA and ACT/SAT test scores you can while still living a life that provides a good extra curricular or two for the application. Then look at schools where you are a bit above the average applicant with your test scores. Colleges, themselves, often give the best financial aid in this aspect.

For outside scholarships, check with any clubs you or your parents belong to, any church you go to, any workplaces, banks or credit unions, and keep eyes on the newspaper as some are listed there. Our ps guidance office puts out a monthly packet of scholarship opportunities for all students, then you narrow it down by interests or other aspects when applying. It's competitive, but some can be won. My oldest won two - one smaller and "one time" and another decent sized and "renewable." What the college itself offered was still more, but added together, they made a nice amount.

In essence, scholarships are pretty much someone deciding to "sponsor" a student through college. Most want that student to be somehow affiliated with something they like (clubs, work, etc) or they want to sponsor someone who shows the most promise to do well (via grades, test scores, art portfolios or the like).

Via test scores and GPA alone, some schools will promise free tuition. Alabama comes to mind with a minimum ACT of 32. Others (like Pitt) have full scholarships they offer, but on a more competitive basis.

So, to pay yourself, study, learn, do practice tests, and get the highest you can get while still enjoying the rest of life.

Note: MANY feel the "tests" are not fair, do not gauge ability, or whatever, but honestly? It's what most scholarships are based on regardless of whether the above is true or not.

Note 2: If you aren't looking for an academic major (thinking sports, music or art, etc), testing is less important in general than things in those fields - lower scores on tests could still get you a nice scholarship if you've won awards in sports/music/art.

That's awesome! Thank you so much, I am going to try my hardest to get good ACT/SAT scores, this is very important to me and I really need scholarships to help me pay for college. Thank you for the help!

Good luck.

We actually qualify for aid right now, but because I am not of college age it is pretty useless right now. I have a lot of money saved away right now, and I do plan to use most of it for college books and things like that.

thank you for the help!

Absolutely true! Don't think you have to have all your college money in the form of scholarships. Many colleges provide decent need based aid too. You will need your folks to fill out the financial aid form when the time comes though.

I do qualify for aid right now, hopefully I will still qualify for it in the future!

Thank you for the advice and help!