Menu

Favorite educational toys/games for logic stage?

The best toy I ever bought my oldest son was a box of wooden pattern blocks. He still loves to get them out, only now, he uses them to create battlefields. He also still loves LEGOs. I'm thinking about Christmas and would love to know some toys/games with lasting value for this age.

Buckyballs hold everyone's attention around here.

/QUOTE]

Ds (11) loves buckyballs too! He can arrange and rearrange them for hours!

As far as games go, some people love it some people hate it, but Risk keeps dh, ds, and ds's friends busy for hours. I'm in the hate it camp, but dh swears it's good for teaching strategy.

Ds is really starting to enjoy card games--this Thanksgiving break he and dh have been playing a lot of Texas Hold 'Em online, side-by-side. We also play a card game called Golf as a family and with other families. I like card games for teaching probability.

Legos, of course, are king around here.

Ds' math team coach has a good number of those little cube-shaped puzzles that she lets the kids fiddle with while they work on problem sets. They're challenging enough that ds hasn't memorized the patterns yet. Or maybe it's because he's doing two things simultaneously with his brain while he's working with them.

Ds is also starting to do sudoku. There's nothing like a nice big book of sudoku!

Keva Contraptions are a huge hit here. Ds11 got them for Christmas last year.

Hey Judo, what would work as a substitute for the ball? We already have tons of Kapla blocks, which dd loves. The instruction book (complete with pics!) for the Keva Contraptions is available herehttp://www.mindwarewholesale.com/Solutions/PDF/44156W.pdf So if I just find a similar ball, we're good to go. :)

I wasn't sure if you were looking for games or something they could do on their own. If you want the "manipulative of choice" among math geeks, I would recommend Zome. Ds thinks its awesome.

http://www.zometool.com/products

:iagree:

We LOVE Zome! DS has the Advanced Math set, along with the Zome Geometry book, and he — and DH :tongue_smilie: — love building things with it. If you buy the "naked" kits and just get your own case, it can be a lot cheaper. I also bought one of the "grab bag" sets, to have lots of extra & unusual parts. The Advanced Math set comes with the Bubble Adventures book, and both kids have had a lot of fun with that.

Jackie

Hey Judo, what would work as a substitute for the ball? We already have tons of Kapla blocks, which dd loves. The instruction book (complete with pics!) for the Keva Contraptions is available herehttp://www.mindwarewholesale.com/Solutions/PDF/44156W.pdf So if I just find a similar ball, we're good to go. :)

You might want to try ping pong balls. The ball that comes with the set is a bit bigger, but it's hollow.

:iagree:

We LOVE Zome! DS has the Advanced Math set, along with the Zome Geometry book, and he — and DH :tongue_smilie: — love building things with it. If you buy the "naked" kits and just get your own case, it can be a lot cheaper. I also bought one of the "grab bag" sets, to have lots of extra & unusual parts. The Advanced Math set comes with the Bubble Adventures book, and both kids have had a lot of fun with that.

Jackie

We don't have the geometry book and I thought ds might like it for Christmas. I just ordered it from Key Curriculum Press for $7.50!! (awesome price compared to Amazon's $30!) Also, they have the advanced builder's kit for the best price I have seen.....$168 vs. Amazon's $209 on sale! http://www.keypress.com/x5802.xml

HTH someone! Jackie, thanks for mentioning the book. I know ds is going to love it.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
forgot link

We don't have the geometry book and I thought ds might like it for Christmas. I just ordered it from Key Curriculum Press for $7.50!! (awesome price compared to Amazon's $30!) Also, they have the advanced builder's kit for the best price I have seen.....$168 vs. Amazon's $209 on sale! http://www.keypress.com/x5802.xml

HTH someone! Jackie, thanks for mentioning the book. I know ds is going to love it.

Wow, that's a crazy price! I'm going to email that link to several people, thanks for posting it!

Jackie

The best toy I ever bought my oldest son was a box of wooden pattern blocks. He still loves to get them out, only now, he uses them to create battlefields. He also still loves LEGOs. I'm thinking about Christmas and would love to know some toys/games with lasting value for this age.

K'nex has been a big hit here. Strategy games like Stratego, Settlers of Catan and Battletech.