Menu

Ancient Indian Literature

I have a 12 year old 6th grader who wants to/has to read literature from India from B.C.E. Although I generally know the stories from the Ramayana, this is not a deep spot in my education to put it mildly, and I'm trying to plan this from out of town. So I'm hoping someone can help. I've seen Kate in Arabia's posts about the Ramayana version by Sanjay Patel and I'm thinking of getting it since it looks wonderful online. Dumb question -- what other works should he read? Are there good translations? He'd love also to read some kids' versions or other adaptations at the same time if there's something a little lighter to go along with it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

You would want the Jataka Tales or Oxford's Tales From India which are retold by J.E.B. Gray and include a portion of the Ramayana. In a different vein, Swimmer Dude really enjoyed The Homeless Bird even though the main character is a girl. Have fun!

There are some sets in the Baldwin Project that might fit the bill.

Indian Folk and Fairy Tales

Indian Fables

Jataka Tales

More Jataka Tales

Tales of the Punjab

I went hunting up and down for good versions of the Ramayana and Mahabarata for logic-stage kids. Something between 10,000 pages of dense prose and a 32-page picture book. :tongue_smilie:

This is what I came up with...

The Ramayana (for children) by Bulbul Sharma (135 pp, not illustrated)

The Mahabarata: The Epic for Children by Kumar Shastri (238 pp, illustrated)

My library didn't have them (even interlibrary), but I was able to get them used fairly inexpensively.