Menu

What Google school books have you added to your e-reader?

My sweet DH got up at the crack of dawn today to buy me a $99 Nook and while I have a few Google Books bookmarked, I wonder which ones you find useful to have "portable" on your e-reader. I am not necessarily looking for classics like Huck Finn (I can find those easily enough) but the more obscure but wonderful books that the Hive always recommends :)

My sweet DH got up at the crack of dawn today to buy me a $99 Nook and while I have a few Google Books bookmarked, I wonder which ones you find useful to have "portable" on your e-reader. I am not necessarily looking for classics like Huck Finn (I can find those easily enough) but the more obscure but wonderful books that the Hive always recommends :)

I think that Handbook of Nature Study is on Google Books. I bet that you could find the Famous Men series there too.

Oh good one! I have one of the famous men books in hard copy, but would love the others.

You might want to browse the Baldwin Project site for other titles to look for on Google Books.

For example, there is a cool biography of Charlemagne and another book about Roland that I used for middle ages but that was very long to print out.

Oh, The Bird's Christmas Carol should be on Google books.

Might the Andrew Lang color Fairy Books be on there?

You might want to browse the Baldwin Project site for other titles to look for on Google Books.

For example, there is a cool biography of Charlemagne and another book about Roland that I used for middle ages but that was very long to print out.

Oh, The Bird's Christmas Carol should be on Google books.

Might the Andrew Lang color Fairy Books be on there?

Oh wonderful-Just read 3 chapters from Famous Men of Greece :) So much better snuggling in bed than reading from a computer monitor!

Thanks to a mention by Stripe, we are enjoying the Indian textbooks available online. We have been using the math (big surprise :D) program called Math Magic and the English program called Marigold.

Both are quite charming. The English program has been a joy, full of poems and nice stories. Both have enough Indian culture to make them interesting. We have used them as bed-time story type reading.

The books do seem to be at least a grade behind what we are used to (so, for example, my First Grader is reading the 3rd Grade English book). The lower grades are pretty much limited to Math and English, but these go through 12 Grade and there are many topics at the middle school and high school levels.

The color artwork is part of the nice aesthetics of these books, so I don't know how they will render on a e-ink Nook, but worth a shot. Gorgeous on the iPad.

http://www.notemonk.com/ncert/

ETA: The zipped files of some of the first math books, I forget if it is 1 or 2 or 3, are not complete and you need to download the individual chapter files.

Bill