Menu

The literature thread got me thinking....

dangerous, I know....

Have any of you read The Well-Educated Mind by SWB and tried to implement her ideas for a reading journal with your logic stage kids?

Is this something that a 5-8 grader can be doing, at least on a simple level?

I am wanting my dd9 (4th grader) this year to write down one thing from her 15 minutes of reading (history, literature, and fun - 15 minutes required for each a day). Even if it is as simple as "Anne and Diana had a sleepover." You'd think I'm torturing her - am I asking too much for this age?

What about starting with a more basic exercise like recording all the books that she reads. I have been keeping a list on my blog this year. I like to see the titles piling up and I often have a comment or two or a whole review to add about the book.

I think that what is in WEM may be a higher level exercise than your dd is ready for.

For a while, my sons were making little one page family newspapers. They often included the most recent books read by everyone in the family. Maybe that would work for your dd.

The literature thread got me thinking....

dangerous, I know....

Have any of you read The Well-Educated Mind by SWB and tried to implement her ideas for a reading journal with your logic stage kids?

Is this something that a 5-8 grader can be doing, at least on a simple level?

I am wanting my dd9 (4th grader) this year to write down one thing from her 15 minutes of reading (history, literature, and fun - 15 minutes required for each a day). Even if it is as simple as "Anne and Diana had a sleepover." You'd think I'm torturing her - am I asking too much for this age?

I think this is a great idea. It has the child think some on what he read. It is sort of what WWE level 1 is doing (after reading a passage and ask a few questions, I then ask my dd to tell me one thing she remembers from the passage). A 5-8th grader should be able to do this.

For next year I am letting my ds and dd pick out a very special notebook/journal each and keep a reading log, something similar to what you are doing.

I'm trying to do this with my DS as well, but haven't been following him as closely as I should. (Since I just introduced it, I think we'll make it more "habit-forming" come the new year.) I asked a similiar question not too long ago and even found a fantastic list of topics. .. here you go: http://pmms.msdpt.k12.in.us/imc/preddy/writing%20prompts.pdf

I think this is a great idea. It has the child think some on what he read. It is sort of what WWE level 1 is doing (after reading a passage and ask a few questions, I then ask my dd to tell me one thing she remembers from the passage). A 5-8th grader should be able to do this.

I was thinking it was do-able also, she is on level 4 of WWE (she is in 4th grade - not 5ththis year) and I'm not asking for that level of detail - I don't want a summary, or a narration, just something written to show me that she is reading. I have even told her that I will write it down for her, if she just wants to tell me and bring me the composition book (up in her room, since that is usually where she reads). I tend to think of this as a laziness issue with her, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable in what I was asking her to do.

I think that what is in WEM may be a higher level exercise than your dd is ready for.

of course what is in WEM is not right for her. She is 9. I'm talking about writing one sentence about what she read - it doesn't even have to be a good sentence.