Menu

Check in for Duke King Arthur study

We're still in Greece. :tongue_smilie:

DS talked me into 4 more TC courses: Herodotus (Vandiver), Age of Pericles, Greek & Persian Wars, and Alexander the Great. (Herodotus & Alexander are still on sale — only for $40 for the DVDs!) I think we now own every TC course on Ancient Greece. <sigh>

We're both really enjoying Great Battles of the Ancient World; DS is constantly pausing the DVD to add extra details and explanation to what the professor is saying. I'm blown away by what he's taught himself once I turned him loose on a subject he's passionate about. I'm thinking if we make it through Greece and Rome by the end of the year, and do Germanic tribes and Vikings over the summer, we should be ready to start the Duke study & TC Medieval World course next fall. But who knows — maybe he'll really get into Rome, too, and we'll end up spending a year on Rome as well. :blink:

What are you guys working on these days? Did Swimmer Dude enjoy his study of Islam?

Jackie

I got it for DD last year and was really excited. We tried to use it. DD loved the book. She found, however, the amount of questions and writing assignments too much. She is a perfectionist and spent a lot of time answering the questions, wanted to write way too much and in depth, so it was frustrating because she did not make any progress. We ended up dropping the program.

I plan to do most of the questions orally, skip the "journaling," and focus on the projects more than writing assignments for "output." Somewhere (not even sure if it's on the computer, or just written in a notebook somewhere... :blush:) I have a list of projects in the Duke study that I aligned with the lectures in the TC Medieval World course.

Jackie

We are getting to the Duke Once and Future King later in the year than I had planned. How are the rest of you doing? What do your students think?

So are we. We're almost there, but dd has taken a liking to Vikings, so that is going on longer than I had penciled in. We also had illnesses that knocked us two weeks behind schedule.

History planning takes up nearly the same amount of time as actually doing it.

We're still in Greece. :tongue_smilie:

DS talked me into 4 more TC courses: Herodotus (Vandiver), Age of Pericles, Greek & Persian Wars, and Alexander the Great. (Herodotus & Alexander are still on sale — only for $40 for the DVDs!) I think we now own every TC course on Ancient Greece. <sigh>

We're both really enjoying Great Battles of the Ancient World; DS is constantly pausing the DVD to add extra details and explanation to what the professor is saying. I'm blown away by what he's taught himself once I turned him loose on a subject he's passionate about. I'm thinking if we make it through Greece and Rome by the end of the year, and do Germanic tribes and Vikings over the summer, we should be ready to start the Duke study & TC Medieval World course next fall. But who knows — maybe he'll really get into Rome, too, and we'll end up spending a year on Rome as well. :blink:

What are you guys working on these days? Did Swimmer Dude enjoy his study of Islam?

Jackie

We are up to the Norman Conquest which means we are way behind our schedule and Swimmer Dude is still picking his way through Islam and asking questions. We also detoured for MacBeth and Hamlet. My nonreader actually read the Oxford edition for MacBeth of his own free will.:lol:

I got it for DD last year and was really excited. We tried to use it. DD loved the book. She found, however, the amount of questions and writing assignments too much. She is a perfectionist and spent a lot of time answering the questions, wanted to write way too much and in depth, so it was frustrating because she did not make any progress. We ended up dropping the program.

Regentrude, I think I wrote a long post about this same thing when I first got the book. This is not the work I would chose to teach annotation on, especially with my 7th grader. That's why it is in the gifted program I guess. We are working on learning the short answer format and I am asking him to write the answer to one question a week. We do some of the questions orally that I feel are pertinent to our goals. We will do some of the projects but again primarily from the viewpoint of learning and practicing new skills. Dude's requested focus are is research.

I had no time for it last year. I considered using it this year with ds11, but you (swimmermom) convinced me to do World Cultures instead! :lol:

Oh, if I had one more child to do that with over again! I would never have purchased SL's Core 5, but would have started right away with the secular version with my own twists. You will have so much fun.

We are up to the Norman Conquest which means we are way behind our schedule and Swimmer Dude is still picking his way through Islam and asking questions. We also detoured for MacBeth and Hamlet. My nonreader actually read the Oxford edition for MacBeth of his own free will.:lol:

No, you're not behind schedule, you're ahead of schedule, because by the time Swimmer Dude graduates from your homeschool, he will know (and actually understand) far more history than a typical college-graduate who took history in PS followed by one or two obligatory GenEd survey courses as a freshman.

:chillpill: girlfriend. :D

Jackie

Regentrude, I think I wrote a long post about this same thing when I first got the book. This is not the work I would chose to teach annotation on, especially with my 7th grader. That's why it is in the gifted program I guess.

We did chose it because it is in the gifted program. DD would definitely have been capable of doing it - but for her, that was a lot of busy work she did not enjoy. She is a perfectionist and has a hard time doing those many short answers (which, in her mind, are necessarily incomplete). I appreciate it that she is trying to give comprehensive answers and to think things through.