Menu

Question about my homemade chicken broth....

I cooked 4 chickens in 2 crockpots yesterday (no extra water, just the whole chickens.) I strained the broth and refrigerated, and I just removed the layer of fat from the top. (Gag!) Now I'm left with just the congealed broth. Is this too concentrated to use "as is" in recipes calling for broth? Should I dilute with more water? What should I do with my big bowl of chicken jello?:confused:

It should melt back down when you cook it. I would just taste (after it's warm) and see what it needs. When I save broth, I always add more water and more chicken bullions so that I have more. I made a big pot of chix noodle soup tonight and added, carrots, onions, celery, chicken, dried parsley, rosemary, thyme, and fresh garlic. It was yummy! Oh, I usually use fettuccine noodles, we prefer those, it was the way they made it when I worked in the kitchens at the university. (just break the noodles pretty small) I've used spaghetti before too.

HTH.

Kristine

I agree with the advice to taste it after you heat it up again. The fact that it gelled is definitely a good thing. However, when I make homemade broth, I always start with quite a bit of water in my stockpot. The stock/broth that I end up with is also gelled, but yours will be much more concentrated because you didn't begin with any additional water.

I've never done it that way, but my guess would be that you have something similar to a "chicken stock concentrate." My hunch is that you'll want to add water when you use it for soups, gravies, etc. *Unless* of course, you are just using a small amount to add flavor. In that case, I would use "as is." But, that's just me and your taste buds may tell you differently.

Lisa