Menu

If you don't use a literature "curriculum"...

how do you keep up with your dc's books??? I feel like I'm drowning. With 3 other kids to teach, I simply don't have the time to read the books I want to discuss with my son. For example, ds is studying Civil War in history, so I picked Brady by Jean Fritz for his related reading. I've tried to find at least a summary of the entire story online so I can attempt a discussion with him tomorrow. I have been unable to find anything helpful. -Tonight I'm feeling like I just can't keep up anymore. :tongue_smilie:

Any tips for staying on top of things??

I assigned ones I remembered. I figured they left the biggest impression on me and were, therefore, the best, most interesting, most exciting, etc. They are the ones I can still get excited about discussing, and enthusiasm is really helpful. (If I have to drag myself through a book, chances are the dc will too.)

The uninteresting, boring and mundane have been forgotten.:tongue_smilie:

I read 'em. But I only have two kids so it isn't difficult to keep up.

I do a lot of the reading in the summer and on vacations. I am usually a couple books ahead of him. By the spring I will be moving on to books for next year.

I am also a very fast reader and can read a juvenile novel in a couple evenings. I also read his 'fun' reading before he does. Mostly that is for fun so we can talk about it.

I read 'em. But I only have two kids so it isn't difficult to keep up.

I do a lot of the reading in the summer and on vacations. I am usually a couple books ahead of him. By the spring I will be moving on to books for next year.

I am also a very fast reader and can read a juvenile novel in a couple evenings. I also read his 'fun' reading before he does. Mostly that is for fun so we can talk about it.

This is what I do. I have four to keep up with, though. I read most of the heavier stuff (for my high schooler) through the spring and summer. Most of that is review and skimming, since I've read those books before. My three younger childrens' books I read before they do if I haven't read it, which turns out to be a small percentage of their reading, but only keep just ahead of them.

I don't have the time to read everything my DD does (I only homeschool two children, but I also work a job outside the house)

Many books I remember from when I had read them at some point in my life. Some books I have never read myself, but know the gist -for instance, I somehow never read the Iliad and the Odyssey as the actual epics, but I read several prose adaptations. Some books I have not, and won't, read - for those, I challenge DD to tell me about them.

I find it is very motivating for my children to narrate or present on a topic that THEY are the experts on (as opposed to presenting material that mom and dad know much better than they do). So, I get to learn, and they get to teach. (btw, I do the same with science and history topics - I am not working ahead of my students in all subjects)

As for assignments: I can still assign my DD to write an essay on a book I have not read, and I am still able to evaluate her work: does the content make sense? Is it structured well? Are grammar and semantics correct?

OK... so basically I need to learn to be more efficient!! :001_huh: Sounds like you guys do a good job staying ahead. With Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks coming up, maybe I can catch up on my reading. I'll definitely spend my summer preparing for 7th grade!

I don't read everything my kids are reading. It is impossible.

I prioritize and read what I really need to focus on......like this yr I am doing a Narnia study with my 3rd and 6th graders, so I am reading those. I have been trying to keep up with my 11th grader's reading but unsuccessfully. I have read most of the titles in the past and have been using cliffnotes, sparknotes, and online info for refreshing my memory and to guide my discussions.

In the past, I have also used TC dvds, Kolbe lit guides, OM guides, etc. Historical fiction type titles in elementary/middle school I do not read. I will skim sections and ask questions. If they are books that are really, really important----I tend to read them as read alouds b/c then I know I will schedule them and have the time incorporated into my day.

Well, we're a lot less formal than one would think in our house. I have a pile of books for my DD to choose from. Some I have read and others I haven't. The book pile is made up of suggestions from AO and Honey for a Child's Heart. We talk about the books. We'll talk about it when doing chores or driving around. Right now she has her nose in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix". I've read it so I know what is in the book and we can talk about it as she goes.

Spark Notes are a blessing for dd's books... Also, Novel Units are good study guides for ds's because they have a HUGE selection and are fairly inexpensive.

For ds, I choose books that I remember reading, but I also get books like the Puffin Classics because in the back of the book there are author profiles, a summary, discussion questions and activities. Barnes & Noble Classics are great too because they have author profiles, context information, and notes on how the title has influenced our lives today.

Sometimes I just skim the book. I pick up enough information that I can ask a specific question about and then we just talk about it.

And one last thing, I don't always make them discuss every book I assign them.

Now, with that being said, I am trying to pre read dd's upcoming books and making notes on things to discuss. I already do this with some of the books she does for history like A Patriots History and her textbook. It's not cheap (but not overly expensive since I utilize the used bookstore & Amazon a lot), but I buy my own copy of the book so I can mark it up with the things I want to remember or talk about.

I don't read everything my kids are reading. It is impossible.

I think the difference is what is assigned reading, and free reading.

I try to read all assigned reading. though I do admit I haven't read Copernicus, or Euclid, or Galileo. but I do know a lot of information about each of them, enough to discuss with my son.

free reading is free of having a discussion with me, so I don't have to pre-read it.:D

When you "preread" so many books in advance, how do you keep up with it all? Meaning, do you take notes? To what detail?

thanks

This is where I fall down on the job. I have great difficulty writing my thoughts/notes on paper. When I have done that, then I always seem to lose the notebook. ;) I am trying to be more organized in this way, just jotting down thoughts that came to me while reading, literary elements that popped out, etc.

I only pre-read assigned reading. I don't do free reading. I also only read for the oldest as the two youngers are reading the same books she did when she was at that grade.

With regards to the specifically assigned works, I have read them before, so even if they require some review or skimming through again, I have a more than vague idea of what they're about and what are some important points in them. I cannot fathom assigning a work I haven't read meanwhile, just blindly "picking" one from some random list, it would seem a bit irresponsible to me, as each work I pick, I pick with a reason, and with keeping in mind its importance in our overall educational context.. I stick to the relatively fixed Italian canon for the vast majority of assigned readings - at least the Italian ones - so that also simplifies things.

Sometimes I allow the kids to pick from a few options, and they may as well pick the option I'm not so comfortable with (this usually happens with our English readings, not Italian ones), so I'll take it into account as school reading, but if I don't manage to read it meanwhile, there will be no formal assignments on it. I cannot properly address, let alone grade, that which I don't know - and I always stick to that principle.

With regards to their free readings, they can read pretty much whatever they please. I'm vaguely aware of what they're reading, and I'm there for them to discuss it with me, but I certainly don't keep track of all of the books they read. However, as it's not "school", there's no pressure to keep track either.

OK... so basically I need to learn to be more efficient!! :001_huh: Sounds like you guys do a good job staying ahead. With Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks coming up, maybe I can catch up on my reading. I'll definitely spend my summer preparing for 7th grade!

I actually don't read their books. :blushing: Can I admit that here? Sometimes I think it works really, really well that way and there are times that I start skimming through the book real fast trying to help a discussion along. O.K. so maybe it's not the best way to go but I absolutely cannot keep up. I do discuss the book with them when they are finished. They literally find themselves in a position to have to explain the book well to someone who hasn't read it. I ask all kinds of crazy questions trying to get to the crux of the book. I mean, I start with normal questions. Who is the book about? What do they want? Why can't they have it? But depending on the answers I get there is no telling where our discussion will lead. :001_smile:

There are many times that I thought our discussions were more fruitful because I absolutely had no idea what the answer was. I tend to be rather opinionated and have a hard time waiting patiently while I watch my dc wrestle with something without just supplying a HINT. ;)

So it's better for them this way, right? :lol: That's what I tell myself anyway to stay sane.

I selectively preread- I have a 10th grader, we just started Ambleside and I'm prereading Plutarch with her, Henry V, and so many other older lit books I haven't read that I don't have much time for the 6th grader's reading, so I rely on good narrations from him and a written narration. When he talks about things like character's decisions, that's where I can jump in and ask a question or two.

I DO manage to read a few of his so as to build up for when the littles get to his level I will know more...

I figure by the time my last one graduates I'll know all of them and be able to teach a new homeschooler *very* well. :tongue_smilie: I meant that tongue in cheek-you really can't DO it all, you have to be selective. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Well, we do things a little differently. My dd had some reading issues that surfaced around 5th grade and while this has improved she still prefers our method. I don't mean reading issues as in she couldn't read well or comprehend well. She just didn't feel confident to tackle some of the reading independently. She really prefers to read out loud. I read her books for literature and history ahead of her (sometimes, in some books, that may mean only a chapter or two ahead...:lol:), but with her at this level (8th) I really feel like it is important for me to read ahead of her. Not only do I read ahead, but also we read many of the bigger works together. Reading Fierce Wars and Faithful Loves together (she reads to me mostly) has really helped make this enjoyable and the conversations we have are lively. I feel like I am also modeling the behavior of how to handle these bigger books. I share with her how I took notes, reminders that the notes within the text are very helpful when reading a difficult passage, etc. I make assignments and guides to go along with our work to make finding connections easier with history, literature, art, etc.

We do a combination of things. We do read alouds, I pre-read some, and I assign some I read many moons ago. This year most of our true literature study books will be done as read alouds. I have two copies of each book. My ds is delayed reader with high comprehension, so while I build his reading ability with lower level books he can discuss and comprehend books at a higher level. I also prefer to discuss our literature, we've had some wonderful discussions this year, especially with Alice's Adventure in Wonderland.

I tend to make up my own literature exercises and we've added the book Figuratively Speaking for some beginning literary analysis.

For my younger son I turned to Sonlight reader sets with schedule and comprehension questions just so I can check that he is actually reading and getting it.

For my middle schooler I wanted something like this but there doesn't seem to be anything that really fits the bill. I have a group of books that I pulled from various resources. I chose some Memoria Press selections this year so that we could use their student guides with them, other selections from SL and History Odyssey I'm trying to pre-read. Like others I will sometimes read selections aloud to help him get the feel of the book, other times I just have him read the book and we discuss it like a lit class - main characters, plot summary, themes, conflict, etc...Having him describe a book to me that I haven't read can be a very good process for him, but I don't want him to feel alone in reading all of his books - that can be so lonely.

You just need to find a balance that works for you and your particular student.

the way I keep up is to read the books that I assigned the kids.

I read while I am using the exercise bike And I read when I am on the toilet, it is amazing how many books you can get through that way.

:lol::lol::lol:

This would be the way to go. I have 4, am only having to keep up with two. One reads very fast though, so he has more books. Can't wait to see what will happen in the years to come.

Danielle

When you "preread" so many books in advance, how do you keep up with it all? Meaning, do you take notes? To what detail?

thanks

Depends on the situation. Most of dd's books-for-school I have preread in advance. I usually always have a book stuck in my face, though, so this isn't usually a problem to keep up with. I figure, if I've pre-read them for dd#1, just think how easy I'll have it for dd#2 and ds! LOL!!!!

Some of dd's books I preread and I do take notes by chapter. I just jot down anything that I feel is importan, or anything I feel that the author was trying to make a point of, or any historical/culture references I find in the book.

This is what I do for the books that we will discuss.

Other books (usually one per week), I assign to dd and she takes chapter-by-chapter notes. These, I just give a cursory glance. It's juts an assurance that she has read each and every chapter AND found something worth noting in each and every chapter. It's interesting to see the things SHE thinks are worth noting.

And still other books, she'll jot notes as she goes along and will write up a report for me afterward.

First of all, you don't have to discuss every single book with them. Secondly, you can discuss those books that are very familiar to you that you've read in past. Thirdly, you can find some more popular books used in studies online, so don't give up on that.

When I started first grade with my younger son, and my older son was in sixth grade, there were a good three years there where I couldn't really read with him or discuss things with him as often. I looked for outside lit class opportunities so he could discuss with others, instead. And I discussed those books which I did remember. I didn't try to do all of them. He also was in a local library reading club at that time for further discussion opportunities....

I've never heard of this particular book before, even though it's by a popular author, so perhaps it's just not a very popular book....

I have to admit keeping ahead of the kids school reading is one of my favorite things to do. I love to read and their books are pretty fast and easy for me. While there are many I have read, there are many I have not. I learn a lot by reading them.

That said, when I haven't read a book that one of my kids is reading I just ask them to tell me about it. I ask questions based on what they tell me, getting more detail and finding out what they like and don't. It is true I don't know a "right" answer when I hear one, but I know a thorough and detailed answer. Some of our best discussions come when I don't read a book. Discussions about books I've read sometimes go "I loved the part when she..." "Oh me too and then I laughed so hard" "Really I thought that was lame". We just interrupt each other and can't wait to talk about what we like and don't. The kids do all the talking if I haven't read it :lol: