Menu

I originally wanted to use Exploration Education's Physical science curric this year but never got around to purchasing. We've done some work-booky stuff up to this point but now I'm ready to make the purchase. Of course since I've had months to check out science currics I've change my mind hundreds of times! DS was STOKED about the EE set but I got to wondering if we might should save that for later? I don't want it to be over his head, yk? So I tried to see if he would be interested in something else & he said he either wanted to do physical science or chemistry.

I need something that comes with EVERY thing. The materials for experiments, textbook, workbook, everything. I have a $130 budget. Any recommendations or should I just stick with my initial thought & get the EEPS?

http://www.explorationeducation.com/intermediate/overview.html Sorry--I can't hyperlink on my phone--and please, excuse the thumb-typing!!! ;)

Edited by rootsnwings

For someone your son's age, I would steer you away from a formal science curriculum. He will get hooked on science and stay hooked on science if you allow him to experience science. This is true at all ages, but particularly true in the logic stage.

Although this is not quite open and go, it's as close as it gets to having preparation done for you and encouraging your son to explore science and make conclusions.

I recommend:

Using Science Notebooks in the Elementary Classroom by Michael Plentschy - Communication is critical in every field, so it's no surprise that this is so within science. This book will tell you why students should keep science notebooks, how to teach them to do so and what you should expect them to record. It is a fantastic resource that you can implement every year, not just this year.

You will need to purchase one bound composition book for your student (available at WalMart, Target, etc.).

Janice VanCleave's Chemistry for Every Kid: 101 Experiments that Really Work

by Janice VanCleave. The experiments in this book use common household items, are easy to follow and they work!

Janice VanCleave's Physics for Every Kid: 101 Experiments in Motion, Heat, Light, Machines and Sounds - same as above.

With the remainder of your budget, you can purchase a storage box for your science supplies. I recommend that you look through the books when you get them and write down all of the odd items that you don't have hanging around the house (specific sized batteries, etc.) and purchase them all at once. Store them in your science box so that they are specifically available for science experiments.

Have your son complete the experiment and write it up in his science notebook and you will have done a great job with a science course.

If you have time to get to the library, be sure to check out science books for him - there are great books that cover a single topic and would be suited for his age range in the juvenile non-fiction section. For fun, you might want to check out the book The Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Chemical in the Universe - the pictures are gorgeous!

Edited by TechWife
Correct book title

I too am planning for a rising 5th grader next fall, only b/c Paige at Elemental Science said it wasn't too early. :001_smile:

Do you plan to have him outline and narrate from the reading materials?

How did you come across the EE curriculum? Have you had your hands on it yet? It looks very complete. 7 projects included. 3 days a week looks good.

You can throw all kinds of money at something but just get a textbook that he might also find in the classroom. I have p/u the Readers Digest "How Nature Works" and DK "Human Body" for mine to notebook and narrate. I will also be ordering various bug and guts boxes as needed. But, b/c I live in the 3rd largest city of the US, I will get to take the field trips and get my 3 dc into some very application based situations. No details yet. It's still pretty mysterious right now, but the avoidance of worksheeets and textbook materials that I used to teach in the junior high classroom will be at the top of the list

Edited by dee67p
I was clueless before and wrote uninformed. Sorry

I too am planning for a rising 5th grader next fall, only b/c Paige at Elemental Science said it wasn't too early. :001_smile:

Hey now, don't bring me into it ;)! Nevermind the fact that I was just looking at threads on the logic stage subforum to plan for dd's 5th grade and she's only in 3rd :lol:.

To the OP, have you looked at NOEO, I know they have kits that include everything.

My 5th and 7th graders really like Plato Science, which is done online. We bought 2 courses, physical and life sciences, for $75 via the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op; one course was $50. I believe the same deal is still going on.

Each unit has a lesson, an application, and a test. The applications make them use the knowledge they have learned, sometimes with questions (considering the properties of these metals, which would be best for building a //whatever//), and sometimes with short tasks they have to complete (blanking on an example, but it might be virtually building something or virtually mixing chemicals, the end result 'works' or doesn't).

The basics are covered with this, and there's time and money left over for experiments, etc. They have a teacher's resource section that I really have not dived into yet. I don't worry about scheduling experiments at the exact time they cover something; having them come weeks or months later is good review, right? ;)

Check out Inquiry in Action, a free, downloadable curriculum from the American Chemical Society. Here's the blurb from their website:

Recommended for grades 3 - 8. Using Inquiry in Action as a guide, you can teach your students basic concepts in the study of matter along with the process of scientific investigation. This 480-page book includes seven multi-activity investigations on the following topics: scientific questions and their investigation, physical properties and physical change, dissolving solids, liquids, and gases, chemical change, states of matter, and density. Inquiry in Action features introductory demonstrations and activities to launch each investigation, suggested questions to ask at critical points in the investigation, sample procedures, expected results, and assessment tools. Each investigation also includes science background information for teachers, content reading for students, activity sheets, and extensions for review and application.

There are a total of 43 activities, although you would generally do them in groups rather than one-per-day. They use common household materials, and the book includes explanations for the teacher (including expected results), all the necessary worksheets, lab reports, etc., and assessments. The Chemistry Review section on the website includes additional information about each of the main concepts, including photos and computer animations of molecular movement/change.

Jackie

Check out Inquiry in Action, a free, downloadable curriculum from the American Chemical Society. Here's the blurb from their website:

There are a total of 43 activities, although you would generally do them in groups rather than one-per-day. They use common household materials, and the book includes explanations for the teacher (including expected results), all the necessary worksheets, lab reports, etc., and assessments. The Chemistry Review section on the website includes additional information about each of the main concepts, including photos and computer animations of molecular movement/change.

Jackie

Dude!! You're awesome. :auto: