Menu

Essay Writing Resource

I'm looking for a cheap and simple essay writing resource.

My 6th grade daughter is an excellent writer. She loves creative writing. Writes a solid well-formed paragraph. Has good spelling, etc. She wants to be an author when she grows up.

I'm looking for something simple that would give her an overview of the traditional 5 paragraph essay and types of essays (persuasive, etc.)

I'd appreciate it being something she could just work through on her own BUT not written with slang and dumbed-down language. She loathes those writing resources that write to the student like they are buddies. She rarely uses slang and finds it distracting in a resource. It doesn't have to be a workbook. It could just be a resource.

I've never really stuck with a writing curriculum with her other than what is covered in R&S English. She reads adult books on creative writing. Her idea of fun reads are How to Write Poetry, How to Build Your Vocabulary, Where to you get your ideas, So you want to be a Writer, The ABCs of Writing for Children. She just needs a resource that would cover academic writing more.

Any ideas?

Because of her taste in books on writing, I'd unreservedly recommend The Lively Art of Writing. It won't teach every type of essay writing (its primary focus is on persuasive essays), but the instruction is thoughtful and mature, not talking down. It was written for high school level, but it you read it along with her and discuss, she'll get a lot out of it.

also, it's cheap. :-)

http://www.amazon.com/Lively-Art-Writing-Mentor/dp/0451627121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290277804&sr=8-1

ETA: I would recommend this book to all parent/teachers. It really helps make sense of all the other writing programs out there. Read it over the summer or during winter break. You won't regret it.

Edited by Stacy in NJ
more

Because of her taste in books on writing, I'd unreservedly recommend The Lively Art of Writing. It won't teach every type of essay writing (its primary focus is on persuasive essays), but the instruction is thoughtful and mature, not talking down. It was written for high school level, but it you read it along with her and discuss, she'll get a lot out of it.

also, it's cheap. :-)

http://www.amazon.com/Lively-Art-Writing-Mentor/dp/0451627121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290277804&sr=8-1

ETA: I would recommend this book to all parent/teachers. It really helps make sense of all the other writing programs out there. Read it over the summer or during winter break. You won't regret it.

:iagree:

For what you mentioned you are looking for, this is worth the investment.

Daisy~

I wrote this review of Thinking in Threes.

Thinking in Threes at Rainbow

I like the look-inside at Rainbow. I does give one a feel for the book.

Your DD sounds like mine. They dislikes of slang and workbooks, but both DD and I liked this book. Organizing a formal school paper by using threes expedites the writing process. Plus we've noticed the use of threes everywhere. Hint: Think characters in a novel. How many trials does a hero have? Typically three.

You might also want to take a look at Fairview's Guide to Composition and Essay Writing. Rainbow Resource carries it. You can take a look at the table of contents at their web site. The book talks directly to the student, but I don't think it talks down to them. Not terribly expensive and probably something she can work through on her own quite easily. There is an answer key to some of the exercises in the back of the book.

I second the suggestion for the book Thinking in Threes that a previous poster mentioned. We have used this as a supplement and found it to be quite useful because it gives you tools to employ if you get stuck or have writer's block. My fairly reluctant writer thinks this one is rather fun.

Have you seen Jensen's Format Writing?

It isn't written tot he student but has examples of the different types of essays and then suggestions for practicing them. There are checklists for the student and evaluation forms as well.

I second this book! It is a great one to have, and it definitely does not dumb down the lessons. This book will also really help with the grading rubrics. And it is very affordable! It is a great book to have on hand even if you decide to use another program. A self motivated writing student will find this book to be invaluable.

I haven't used it yet, but I was intending to use AG's essay unit next year when we have our kids out of school for a few months (we're afterschoolers, and sometimes home/travel-schoolers). I may not now, as they are spending a lot of time at school on expository writing, even for the second grader.

I thought the AG unit looked well put together. When I bought it I was looking for an essay *only* unit, which it is.

Min