Menu

Ball-like lump IN earlobe. Dr. Hive help??

I have double pierced ears. My bottom piercings have been done for about 4 years and the top earlobe piercings for about 3 years.

The lump is inside my earlobe. It is between the skin on both sides and it feels like a ball.

It is right below the cartilidge (sp.) and next to the top earlobe piercing but above the bottom piercing. It is not IN any of the piercings, IYKWIM. I don't think it is connected to the piercings at all.

It hurts when I touch it, and I just noticed it there today, so it hasn't been gradually growing. It is also itchy on the inside where the lump is after I touch it.

I had been wearing earrings in my top piercings for a few months and just took them out a few days ago.

That is the only thing new.

Any ideas??

ETA: It is right below the Antitragus and near the lower opening in between the antitragus and the tragus. Here's is a diagram so you can see the area I mean: http://www.virtualmedicalcentre.com/uploads/VMC/TreatmentImages/2192_ear_outside_300.jpg

It is also hot to the touch.

Edited by BeatleMania

I used to get these all the time. It's probably a nickel allergy. Many people are allergic to nickel, and nickel is frequently used in earrings.

To treat, keep it clean and only use nickel free earrings (like sterling silver). You can try a little OTC hydrocortisone ointment or benadryl ointment.

I think it sounds like a little infection/pimple sort of thing also. I've had one before and it felt like what you describe. You might try warm compresses to draw it out.

I have the same thing happen to me, it is probably like everyone is saying, a pimple/infection. If you are worried though, I would see the doctor just to ease your mind. This has happened to me in the exact spot although I don't have double pierced ears lol.

:iagree: with Debbs though!

I used to get these all the time. It's probably a nickel allergy. Many people are allergic to nickel, and nickel is frequently used in earrings.

To treat, keep it clean and only use nickel free earrings (like sterling silver). You can try a little OTC hydrocortisone ointment or benadryl ointment.

Google nickel allergy jewelry.

Nickel allergy

Mayo clinic

I don't have pierced ears, and I get some sort of pimple like thing in my earlobe every once in a while too. :001_huh: Like you described, it is between the skin. Usually it doesn't get inflamed though. I'd just watch and wait, and maybe apply a topical antibiotic cream since it is already inflamed. If it got really hot and swollen, I'd call and talk to the triage nurse to help decide whether I need to be seen.

I don't have pierced ears, and I get some sort of pimple like thing in my earlobe every once in a while too. :001_huh: Like you described, it is between the skin. Usually it doesn't get inflamed though. I'd just watch and wait, and maybe apply a topical antibiotic cream since it is already inflamed. If it got really hot and swollen, I'd call and talk to the triage nurse to help decide whether I need to be seen.

Same here, so it's not necessarily related to pierced ears. They've always gone away on their own.