Menu

Logic stage and the accelerated reader

I am having a hard time choosing Lit. Analysis Study Guides for my ds12 because while his reading is accelerated, mentally he is still at the age appropriate logic stage when having to answer the questions. Case in point, he has already read most of the Lightning Lit 8th grade books. And in reviewing the Progeny Press guides, he has read most of the books slated for kids below 9th grade. I guess I fear he will become a discouraged reader if the questions in the study guides are too difficult, but then a little bored if the books are too easy.:confused:

Anyone have a similar situation? And what did you do?:bigear:

TIA,

Catherine

We have similar situations. My DS is a voracious reader and consumes literature like other kids eat candy. I didn't even bother buying Lightening Lit because he had read all but one of the selections.

I have been using edhelper's high school lit analysis worksheets. They are okay, not the best, but

edhelper has a decent selection of books to read and analyze.

I think the cost to join edhelper and receive access to the high school materials was $20. I don't remember.

I am having a hard time choosing Lit. Analysis Study Guides for my ds12 because while his reading is accelerated, mentally he is still at the age appropriate logic stage when having to answer the questions. Case in point, he has already read most of the Lightning Lit 8th grade books. And in reviewing the Progeny Press guides, he has read most of the books slated for kids below 9th grade. I guess I fear he will become a discouraged reader if the questions in the study guides are too difficult, but then a little bored if the books are too easy.:confused:

Anyone have a similar situation? And what did you do?:bigear:

TIA,

Catherine

I would recommend Literary Lesson from Lord of the Rings b/c the questions are fantastic, but not difficult to answer b/c they are guided. It is designed as a high school course, but I have used it w/6th/7th graders w/great success.

I would recommend Literary Lesson from Lord of the Rings b/c the questions are fantastic, but not difficult to answer b/c they are guided. It is designed as a high school course, but I have used it w/6th/7th graders w/great success.

I second this suggestion. My 7th grade dd is working through this right now. The comprehension questions are not just recall questions, and they have helped her to dig a bit deeper. Every lesson also has a challenge question which requires more thought, and the author gives suggestions for turning many of these questions into short essay assignments. Dd is also learning literary terms and vocabulary.

Our only disappointment with LLftLotR has been that in the second edition, the lessons that correlate to several of the chapters in book one have incorrect page numbers. The author was going to post corrections on the website, but I have not checked it lately since we have already moved beyond that section.

Catherine

It's perfectly fine to analyze books he has already read; in fact, I'd say it's preferable.

It's perfectly fine to analyze books he has already read; in fact, I'd say it's preferable.

:iagree: It's very different to read a book for pleasure (or for content) than it is to read the same book for digging deeper for analysis. If they know the story already, they aren't trying to keep zipping along trying to find out what happens next. They can slow down and focus.

:iagree: It's very different to read a book for pleasure (or for content) than it is to read the same book for digging deeper for analysis. If they know the story already, they aren't trying to keep zipping along trying to find out what happens next. They can slow down and focus.

Good advice. I think I will take this along with the advice in my s/o and get back to work with DS.