Menu

Literature & History Pockets

I've used History Pockets with Otter. He likes them and they help make a nice portfolio at the end of a study. My big kids also really liked them (even moreso than Otter).

So far he's used:

Ancient Egypt

Ancient Greece

Colonial America

Explorers

Ancient Rome

Greek & Roman Myths (we didn't end up using a lot of this one, although his siblings did when they were younger)

We don't usually do ALL of the items. Also, I don't make the "pockets". Instead we just slip the projects into plastic sheet protectors in his history notebook along with any other notebooking pages or maps, etc.

I don't make him color anything, unless he wants to. He usually colors things while I read something out loud to him. Sometimes we color things together, lol. We also sometimes split (the work for) cutting things out.

I like using History Pockets when I don't want to search all over the net for lapbook projects. I also like the art because it's pretty crisp/clean.

Even if we don't do all of the projects, I still think they are a good value because they help Otter retain whatever we're learning.

He likes to look back at all his completed work too. :)

HTH a little!

THANK YOU!!! :D Great idea on the pocket protectors! I want to buy some, in bulk!!! :blush: They are seriously, SO useful!!!!!!

OK, I *really* wish they had more history topics for the middle ages!!! :glare: We're on SOTW2 right now & I worry that he will be too old for the Colonial America pockets by the time we get there!!! You said your olders still liked them though, right?! That gives me hope!!! :D

I am really interested in their literature pockets too. I think my ds3 would LOVE the nursery rhymes & fables!!! :001_wub: But I could totally see me cutting & coloring everything for him at this age! :tongue_smilie: Oh well, he really likes to glue!!! :)

Any experiences with the 4-6 Lit Pockets? And more History Experiences? :D

Ds is 11--6th grade--and this is our first year homeschooling. We're using History Odyssey Level 2 Ancients which has History Pockets assignments. I went ahead and ordered the Ancient Egypt, Greece and Roman ones, even though I wasn't sure how they'd go over. Turns out ds rather enjoys them. It's kind of a nice break from the regular reading and outlining.

I used the Tall Tales Lit Pockets last year with my then 3rd and 6th grader. It was a genre they hadn't been exposed too and it was an enjoyable unit for both of them. It was by no means terribly difficult, but my oldest is a very strong reader and it was nice to do something fun and not so heavy for a few weeks.

Like Jenn we didn't make the pockets, but used sheet protectors. There was an exercise at the end to write your own tall tale. I was impressed with how well my kids completed this and it was fun to see their imaginations at work.

I will use Greek and Roman Myths later this year with my 4th grader.