Menu

6th grader wants to do Apologia General, but....

I'm not sure she's ready. Should I let her try, anyway? If I do, I think she's going to need some hand-holding because I don't think she'll walk away remembering a THING if I let her work independently. (She seems to forget things quickly.) She's one who's always wanted to try to do whatever Big Sis is doing, whether she's ready for it or not. Can you tell she's very competitive? :glare:

How would you handle it?

I agree with letting her try it. My ds is in 6th grade and is doing it in a co-op with all 8th graders. His instructor told me he is holding his own and is actually at the top of the class. He loves it because it's stretching him. I NEVER have to ask him to do the assigned work, he gets excited about studying for the tests, etc... This was a total surprise for me. You never know..she may need lots of hand holding, which is fine, but she may also thrive on it!

I thought about General Science for my 6th grader this year. In the end, we decided to go with Apologia Elementary's new Exploring Creation with Anatomy and Physiology book for the first half of the year and God's Design chemistry for the second half. I just didn't think she had the study skills for General Science yet. We do a combination of outlining and summarizing alongside of vocabulary cards, and I make vocabulary crosswords for review before she takes a test. It's been a big step up for her, and I believe she'll be better prepared for General Science next year. HTH

I thought about General Science for my 6th grader this year. In the end, we decided to go with Apologia Elementary's new Exploring Creation with Anatomy and Physiology book for the first half of the year and God's Design chemistry for the second half. I just didn't think she had the study skills for General Science yet. We do a combination of outlining and summarizing alongside of vocabulary cards, and I make vocabulary crosswords for review before she takes a test. It's been a big step up for her, and I believe she'll be better prepared for General Science next year. HTH

There are vocab cards with the Anatomy book? How about tests?

I'm not sure she's ready. Should I let her try, anyway? If I do, I think she's going to need some hand-holding because I don't think she'll walk away remembering a THING if I let her work independently. (She seems to forget things quickly.) She's one who's always wanted to try to do whatever Big Sis is doing, whether she's ready for it or not. Can you tell she's very competitive? :glare:

How would you handle it?

I wouldn't hesitate to let her begin. The 6-8th grade years are transitional, and she will probably amaze you with her ability to take ownership of the material after some guidance and direction.

There are vocab cards with the Anatomy book? How about tests?

There aren't separate vocab cards to buy. I give her a list of vocab words for each lesson. 98% of the time it's the words that are bolded in the book, but every so often they'll be another word that she doesn't know or a word in bold that I don't consider essential that I include or delete from the list. I'd be happy to send you a list.

Most of the tests I make up myself. There is a yahoo group, but last I checked, it only had a test for chapter 1. I need to make answer keys for the tests I have so far and upload them to the group's files. HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Oldest didn't need or want the audio, but I think it may be beneficial for 2nd dd, though I think I've decided to go ahead and wait a year. Since posting this thread, I've determined that it's not so much *this* text that she wants, as it is just wanting me to ramp up her workload. ;)