Menu

Can you recommend a Spanish or Latin program?

1st, that it not be Rosetta Stone. We tried RS Level 1 French and we didn't like it.

2nd, I need it to be geared to upper middle school. IOW, she wouldn't stick with it if it was a program geared to younger children.

3rd, that it not be expensive like Rosetta Stone.

I haven't looked at foreign language programs and I don't know what is out there. Are there any good inexpensive programs just to get her feet wet before she starts a high school level in a couple of years?

She says she would be interested in either Spanish or Latin.

We've been really liking Breaking the Spanish Barrier. It has three levels which bring you all the way up to high school Spanish III. I like that there's continuity. It also isn't overly expensive - quite reasonable, actually.

For Latin, seems like a lot of people like Latin Prep or So You Really Want to Learn Latin, both from Galore Park. One of my dds wanted to try Latin and she picked Latin Prep from the choices I gave her, and seems to like it so far.

We've been really liking Breaking the Spanish Barrier. It has three levels which bring you all the way up to high school Spanish III. I like that there's continuity. It also isn't overly expensive - quite reasonable, actually.

For Latin, seems like a lot of people like Latin Prep or So You Really Want to Learn Latin, both from Galore Park. One of my dds wanted to try Latin and she picked Latin Prep from the choices I gave her, and seems to like it so far.

:iagree:

I really like Visual Link Spanish. Rosetta Stone and Tell Me More were both busts here. My dd didn't learn well with either program.

Visual Link isn't very expensive (not compared to RS or TMM). Level I is available for $120 right now.

http://www.learnspanishtoday.com/online_store.htm?link=1

They have a 6 month return policy.

My son is really enjoyed First Form Latin. It is a slower introduction to Henle.

Just so you know, it is Ecclesiastical Latin and the publishing company is Memoria Press which is a Christian company. However, I don't think there is anything over the top, but there is inclusion of God, Christ, church in the vocabulary and occasional the history section would have to do with church history (rarely).

I think the price is reasonable, especially if you can get the text book used, and there are dvds available as well.

My 12 year old is doing Latin for Children B, he started with Latin for Children A last year. I like how it is broken into chapters (enough to do one a week for a whole year), has dvd instruction, covers grammar, vocab, you choose classical or ecclesiastical pronunciation, has an activity book for reinforcement and a history reader for additional practice. The level A is definitely good for a beginner with no experience in foreign language but I didn't find it to be too childish for us.

I really like Visual Link Spanish. Rosetta Stone and Tell Me More were both busts here. My dd didn't learn well with either program.

Visual Link isn't very expensive (not compared to RS or TMM). Level I is available for $120 right now.

http://www.learnspanishtoday.com/online_store.htm?link=1

They have a 6 month return policy.

:iagree: Here's another vote for Visual Link for Spanish.

(BTW- Rosetta Stone didn't work for us either.)

For Latin, we are enjoying the straightforward approach of First Form. We preferred this over Latin for Children. My ds found LfC to be too childish. Many others prefer LfC over FF. I think you need to pick the one that fits your dc's personality.

Guest nebraskalover

Well my children are doing Classical Conversations and really love it..... it is for all ages and it provides a Latin program..... the curriculum is called "LATIN'S NOT SO TOUGH!" A classical latin worktext by Karen Mohs

hope that helps...

I'll third Latin Prep. M dd really enjoys it. It's fun (& funny at times) but very thorough.

I am familiar enough with French and Spanish to blend the two, but Latin is foreign territory to me. So when DD~13 decided it was Latin for her, I was left to search long and hard for a resource.

We used Getting Started with Latin, Latin for Beginners which was less than stellar--So much for research. Then I discovered Cambridge Latin. Who ever wrote the passages had a good sense of humor. DD and I laugh every time we translate a selection. This good humor keeps DD going, and her translation is great. It is me who stumbles, tongue tied on the Latin, but true to form DD is quick to correct and keep me in line. I did get the CD for pronunciation, the Omnibus workbook plus the TE guide.

Edited by Wildiris

My son is really enjoyed First Form Latin. It is a slower introduction to Henle.

Just so you know, it is Ecclesiastical Latin and the publishing company is Memoria Press which is a Christian company. However, I don't think there is anything over the top, but there is inclusion of God, Christ, church in the vocabulary and occasional the history section would have to do with church history (rarely).

I think the price is reasonable, especially if you can get the text book used, and there are dvds available as well.

I have an 8th grader using FFL, and we are enjoying it.

I am familiar enough with French and Spanish to blend the two, but Latin is foreign territory to me. So when DD~13 decided it was Latin for her, I was left to search long and hard for a resource.

We used Getting Started with Latin, Latin for Beginners which was less than stellar--So much for research. Then I discovered Cambridge Latin. Who ever wrote the passages had a good sense of humor. DD and I laugh every time we translate a selection. This good humor keeps DD going, and her translation is great. It is me who stumbles, tongue tied on the Latin, but true to form DD is quick to correct and keep me in line. I did get the CD for pronunciation, the Omnibus workbook plus the TE guide.

From where did you orde the cambridge materials? I'm not finding the cd...

TIA! :)