What's with the ads?

Photo

Do newborn baby clothes fit a standard-sized doll?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Heidi @ Mt Hope

Heidi @ Mt Hope

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1957 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:11 PM

Now that I have a girl, I have to think about these things. :D I want to save some of Lola's baby clothes for doll clothes, but I'm not sure what sizes to save. Newborn? 0-3 months? Does any baby clothing fit American Girl Dolls?

#2 Linda in TX

Linda in TX

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:14 PM

Well I know that 3 month size fits the My Twin doll. That doll is a little bigger, so I'm thinking the newborn size should fit an American Girl doll.

Linda

#3 DarlaS

DarlaS

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5898 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

If she wasn't a preemie, you probably won't have much luck with the AG baby doll. You could look into the more realistic baby dolls though (like perhaps Berenguer).

Bitty Baby (the AG baby doll) is a 16" doll. It is proportioned differently than a real baby quite a bit. (I have sewn for BB using Kwik Sew newborn size patterns and had to take quite a lot from the torso length.)

#4 4blessingmom

4blessingmom

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5711 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:17 PM

My dd's Cabbage Patch & Rageddy Anne/Andy wear nb sizes. They are a smidge bit big which is a good thing for clumsy 5yo hands.

#5 Heidi @ Mt Hope

Heidi @ Mt Hope

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1957 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

Thanks, ladies!

#6 Amy in NH

Amy in NH

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3987 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

My dd has an 18" You & Me baby doll (not AG). Generic 18" doll clothes are just barely too small, but regular Preemie infant clothing fits perfectly. NB clothing is quite a bit too big.

Our AG Bitty Baby has a smaller head, but same body size.

#7 AndyJoy

AndyJoy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2431 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:22 PM

Preemie fits my Bitty Baby pretty well as you can see in the picture. I bought a few preemie size clothes so the doll could match my (definitely not preemie) little boy. I'm a dork, I know.

I saved some of my boy's clothes for his large teddy bear, which wears 3-6 mo. clothes, so you might consider that as well.

#8 Tap

Tap

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

We have one doll that fits newborn sizes. I don't know what size she is, but she is the large 'water baby' that was popular years ago. She is filled with air, but dd4 really loves that thing. :)

Our Chou Chou dolls take preemie sizes. I do watch the sizes because some preemie is realllllly small.

I buy preemie clothes at the second hand store for $3-4 instead of the $12-15 per outfit for doll clothes. They are washable and more sturdy.

#9 extendedforecast

extendedforecast

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1793 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

My DD was 5 lbs. when she was born. Where we lived at the time, there were no preemie clothes, so DH got the idea to buy doll clothes. They fit perfectly. I believe he got the ones for an 18" doll. So I'm thinking that preemie clothes would fit an 18" doll.

#10 cougarmom4

cougarmom4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:43 PM

Here is a tutorial for taking baby clothes and turning them into doll clothes--in case you don't have preemie clothes and don't want to buy them!

http://obsessivelyst...s-tutorial.html

I haven't done it yet...but it is on my list of things to do with dd3's outgrown baby clothes.

#11 MamaBirdX7

MamaBirdX7

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

If you are talking Bitty Baby (AG), anything larger than preemie is too large. Dresses work best. The pants and sleepers don't fit right. I used to stalk after Christmas/Easter sales to pick up fancy dresses for Bitty Baby.
Preemie diapers work well.

#12 TN Mama

TN Mama

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3911 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:59 PM

My daughter has an 18 in baby doll that fits into 0-3 month clothes, but those clothes don't fit her American Girl Bitty Baby (16 in.).

#13 stephenwright

stephenwright

Just Visiting

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:39 AM

You can get the all types variety of clothes at westcoastbaby so don't be late.
newborn baby clothes

What's with the ads?