Menu

What comes after First Language Lessons???

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Second(ary) Language Lessons" really doesn't work for me, as a pp pointed out, "second language" often refers to foreign language learning, and "secondary" for Brits and Aussies means Grades 7-12. "Further" is good - although you then have the issue of the abbreviations being the same, unless you use "FFL" and "FuFL" - but "Final" does seem to indicate that there is no more to be learned.

Secondary means high school to me too. Middle School Language Lessons sounds strange to me because when I was in school, we didn't have "middle school"--we had jr high, which was 7th & 8th grade. I don't care for "Final" as that seems to indicate the end.

I like

First Language Lessons

Further Language Lessons

Advanced or Higher Language Lessons

Ooooh, I like this one too. First, Further, Final.

Like this.

First Language Lessons

Essential Language Lesssons

Advanced Language Lessons

And this.

"Final" might just mean, "This is the last writing curriculum I'm creating for you people. I am not going to college with you, no matter how much you beg."

Well, for college we can just send our kids to SWB's classes. :D

I like something like:

1. First Language Lessons

2. Implementing Language Lessons or Practicing Language Lessons

3. Mastering Language Lessons

I like these too.

Today is a happy day. I learned that FLL is being continued!

First Language Lessons

Essential Language Lesssons

Advanced Language Lessons

The only problem I see with this sequence is it seems that you could quit once you learn the essentials.

I like extending FLL for a few more levels and then having another sequence that every highschooler would need to have completed by graduation called ELL or ALL.

Is the plan to have 4 middle guides and 4 highschool guides? OR something similar to R&S which has 5-10?

So, I think, FLL 1- 6 to cover elementary/early logic grammar. Then ELL or ALL 1-4 to cover grammar for late logic/rhetoric.

The only problem I see with this sequence is it seems that you could quit once you learn the essentials.

I don't think anyone would assume that an 8th grader could quit language lessons/language arts when they complete that school year. "Essential" to me would convey the idea of "basic" (or "expanded basic" since it follows FLL). But a student who hasn't had FLL could start with Essential and would get what they need at that point in their schooling.

• 1 month later...
More Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind.

"Second" sounds like a foreign language, kwim?

:iagree: I don't know if anyone else suggested this - and maybe it is already too late?! - but what about 'Further Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind'? (Sorry if someone else already suggested that!)

It's been suggested already, I'm just adding my vote: Further Language Lessons.

ETA: I hate when I get suckered into an old thread. I really should start paying attention if I want to have an online reputation as anything other than a total internet dunce!

Edited by VA6336
dangit

• 3 weeks later...

"Following Language Lessons"

I like "Following Language Lessons" b/c it has two meanings: the book "Following Language Lessons" comes after/follows First Language Lessons, and you "follow" the curriculum. ;-)

Other ideas:

"Expanded Language Lessons"

"Continuing Language Lessons"

Or, more accurately (at our house, anyway), "Language Lessons for the Hormonal, Distracted Child." ;-)

Lisa

I would put Grammar in the title so those who are not familiar with the WTM or classical education will know what it is. Grammar is sadly lacking in the middle school years in PS< and parents might get it as a supplement.

Great Grammar Lessons

Then a subtitle of some sort that lets parents know that they do not need to know Grammar to teach it to their child

Teaching your children the Grammar you were never taught.

That is, if it is anything like FLL. I am learning more grammar through FLL than I was taught in school.

OK, guys, the winner was...

ADVANCED LANGUAGE LESSONS

The four-year middle grade program really DOES take from basic definitions all the way through everything you need to do high school rhetoric...the way we're designing our whole program, you would do Advanced Language Lessons and Writing With Skill, and then go on to do the final level of the program, Writing With Style--a rhetoric program which includes a grammar handbook, but not a separate grammar workbook.

Plus I really liked HappyGrace's explanation. HappyGrace--want a free copy> :001_smile:

SWB

OK, guys, the winner was...

ADVANCED LANGUAGE LESSONS

The four-year middle grade program really DOES take from basic definitions all the way through everything you need to do high school rhetoric...the way we're designing our whole program, you would do Advanced Language Lessons and Writing With Skill, and then go on to do the final level of the program, Writing With Style--a rhetoric program which includes a grammar handbook, but not a separate grammar workbook.

Plus I really liked HappyGrace's explanation. HappyGrace--want a free copy> :001_smile:

SWB

Sounds great! When can I buy it? :bigear:

We're planning a release date of October 2011.

SWB

Is this for both Writing with Skill and Advanced Language Lessons?

Do they both start at about 5th grade?

Any chance of being able to get the first few weeks early if we pre-order it (we'll be starting 5th grade in mid-September)?

Yes, for both writing and grammar programs, that's our planned release date.

If you order it directly from us it'll be available 3-4 weeks earlier; once the books are printed we have them immediately, but it takes the books 3-4 weeks to get through our distributor's system and out to Amazon, bookstores, etc. (something we have no control over).

SWB

If you order it directly from us it'll be available 3-4 weeks earlier; once the books are printed we have them immediately, but it takes the books 3-4 weeks to get through our distributor's system and out to Amazon, bookstores, etc. (something we have no control over).

SWB

:party: You just made me so happy!

Wow, this sounds way more efficient than using R&S all the way through to book 10 and then using R&S handbook, along with all the current WTM rhetoric recommendations. But I realize that your WWStyle and grammar handbook are probably a very long way off...

I have some questions, that you may or may not be able to answer right now.

How does the middle grade grammar program (ALL) compare to R&S 5-10?

Will ALL have a workbook that goes with an instructor guide? If so, is the workbook necessary, or could the IG be used alone? I ask because currently we do R&S mostly orally, except for diagraming which the kids do independently on paper. Mechanics and grammar learned in R&S get practiced via separate writing practice.

Will WWSkill have a workbook with an instructor guide? If so, is this workbook necessary, or can the IG be used alone, just like the WWE IG can be used alone?

I will definitely be buying WWSkill, and now you have me very curious about ALL. I could be persuaded, depending on how it compares with R&S; even though my oldest will be partway through R&S 8, and we are settled into how we use it! :) I bought the WWE IG when my oldest was almost done grade 4, and used it to "shore up" some holes in my previous teaching of him, and now use it with dd10. I'd do the same with ALL, if I was persuaded. :) I just really like the way you make teaching (and teaching us how to teach) SO MUCH more efficient and effective!!!

Wahey!!!! :party:

I'm also interested to know how ALL will compare to R&S English levels 5 through 8.

Another question I'd be very grateful to have the answer for.. Writing With Skill, which you plan to have available from October 2011.. will this have a similar format to Writing With Ease? Will you be producing similar workbooks to go with WWS? I find it suits me to have something scripted, rather than working half of the curriculum out myself.

Thanks!