Menu

What comes after First Language Lessons???

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for "Second Language Lessons". It's not too original or exciting, but it is clear and works well as a descriptive and simple title for the next next program in the series.

No pressure, but I have a child on FLL4 this year so work fast.:D

The problem with "Second Language Lessons" is that it begs the question, "Which language?"

Usually, the term "second language" refers a language other than your first language. Again, it would only make sense to those already familiar with FLL.

English in the Middle:

Language Lessons for the Middle Grades

I like this one. I also like Intermediate Language Lessons or First Language Lessons, grades 5-8. However, I don't care what you call it, I'm so glad you're doing it. We love FLL 1/2 and will finish it this year. I wasn't going to go with the next level if I was going to have to quit there, but it looks like we won't have to quit there, so I know what I'm buying come spring!

Thanks!

Further Language Lessons

Following Language Lessons

Subsequent Language Lessons

Later Language Lessons

Language Lessons II

After all that thought, I like this: First, Further, Final

I just wanted to add: About two years ago, I was in Home Depot with my (then) four year old and my two year old twins when they all began singing "The Preposition Song" very clearly and sweetly. They sang the whole thing. It was so funny, I didn't stop them. People were :001_huh: and :001_wub:. I was :lol:. This is one of my absolute favorite memories as a mother. Thanks, Jessie, Mike, Susan, and all the team for writing, singing, and producing this resource.

Edited by Sahamamama

I have to disagree: there is no such thing as final language lessons. There is always more to learn and language is an ever-changing thing. Not in print, perhaps, but nonetheless, you take my point. (Says the linguist. I'm going to choir practice now. :D)

That's what I was thinking. It sounds as if there will be nothing left to learn about language. :001_smile:

Guest Dulcimeramy

If its alliteration we're after, how about

First Language Lessons

Further Language Lessons

Finishing Language Lessons

Or

First Language Lessons

Following Language Lessons

Further Language Lessons

Or, change the sentence order for the rhetoric level

First Language Lessons

Further Language Lessons

Language Lessons for Future Learning

Or, change that last one to

Language Lessons for Lifelong Learning

I have to disagree: there is no such thing as final language lessons. There is always more to learn and language is an ever-changing thing. Not in print, perhaps, but nonetheless, you take my point. (Says the linguist. I'm going to choir practice now. :D)

:iagree:

Advanced Language Lessons, Book 1

Advanced Language Lessons, Book 2, etc.

That keeps the flow and branding from First Language Lessons, and "Advanced" has a nice connotation to it; people will like to feel that they are advancing their child, especially in the middle years.

I agree with the others that say "Second" refers to a second language and "Secondary" to high school.

Then you could go with "Accelerated Language Lessons" for High School.

Please hurry. We are doing R&S 5 for now. Although it is good, I miss the excellence of FLL for my oldest (and myself)!

That keeps the flow and branding from First Language Lessons, and "Advanced" has a nice connotation to it; people will like to feel that they are advancing their child, especially in the middle years.

I agree with the others that say "Second" refers to a second language and "Secondary" to high school.

This one! Do this one!

The problem with "Second Language Lessons" is that it begs the question, "Which language?"

Usually, the term "second language" refers a language other than your first language. Again, it would only make sense to those already familiar with FLL.

I agree - sounds like it has something to do with a second language other than english.

I really liked the previous poster's suggestion of Essential Language Lessons. It goes well with First Language Lessons, I think. I'm not a fan of Middle Language Lessons, that just sounds funny to me.

Except this is too close to what Leigh Bortins calls her grammar program Essentials of the English Language

Definition of Secondary School according to Merriam Webster:

Main Entry: secondary school

Function: noun

Date: 1835

: a school intermediate between elementary school and college and usually offering general, technical, vocational, or college-preparatory courses

Three other relevant definitions of secondary:

2 a : immediately derived from something original, primary, or basic

3 a : of, relating to, or being the second order or stage in a series

c : of or relating to a secondary school <secondary education>

Edited by sagira

I like these! My first choice would have been intermediate language lessons, but since that name is already taken, then I like the "Advanced Language Lessons."

I would avoid titling something "for middle school" since many of us may not follow specific grades or may have children working on materials based on their abilities rather than their ages. That was one thing that I liked about FLL....it was necessarily tied to a certain "grade" so if you have your child working on an easier level, it doesn't have the same connotation that they're "behind."

Middle Language Lessons seems like a good title to me.

I'd avoid the word "second" because it sounds like "second grade" or "a second language".

Further Language Lessons would also work well, I think.

Either could be followed by Advanced Language Lessons.

oooorrrr......

First Language Lessons (1-4) could be followed simply by Language Lessons (with a 5-8 added). For high school level you could finish up with Advanced Language Lessons (9-12). It lacks pizazz, but it's simple to understand which you need.

Please do hurry, though! We're finishing up FLL4 in January! =)

Edited by s.z.ichigo

First, Further, and Final here. :)

I think you definitely need to keep with the "Language Lessons" part. First is the first installment. Further clearly comes after that. Final is your final stab at teaching them grammar in school. The alliteration is just a bonus. I think this series sounds very catchy, and not too wordy. Direct, simple, doable.

I think you definitely need to keep with the "Language Lessons" part. First is the first installment. Further clearly comes after that. Final is your final stab at teaching them grammar in school. The alliteration is just a bonus. I think this series sounds very catchy, and not too wordy. Direct, simple, doable.

Guest Dulcimeramy

"Final" doesn't have to mean that you think you've said the last word anyone will ever need to hear on the subject.

"Final" might just mean, "This is the last writing curriculum I'm creating for you people. I am not going to college with you, no matter how much you beg."

Except this is too close to what Leigh Bortins calls her grammar program Essentials of the English Language

Names are going to be similar when covering similar content. It's hard to come up with something new, which is why we were asked to give opinions.

Essential Language Lessons; Essentials of the English Language

Secondary Language Lessons; Language Lessons for the Secondary Child

Such as, First Language Lessons; Primary Language Lessons.

:lol: Ahh...SWB, whatEVER were you thinking asking us???

:lol: I've been thinking that myself! - although there ARE a lot of really good ideas here.

"Second(ary) Language Lessons" really doesn't work for me, as a pp pointed out, "second language" often refers to foreign language learning, and "secondary" for Brits and Aussies means Grades 7-12. "Further" is good - although you then have the issue of the abbreviations being the same, unless you use "FFL" and "FuFL" - but "Final" does seem to indicate that there is no more to be learned.

How about this:

First Language Lessons

Further Language Lessons

Advanced or Higher Language Lessons

FLL5

FLL6

FLL7

FLL8

Why mess with a good thing?

The other options just cause brand confusion, or worse (ILL, Second Language Lessons=ESL, Further and Final???).

Stick with what works.

BTW, I'm still waiting to find out the "winner" of the WWE poster slogan contest. What year was that Susan??? :D

Bill (beginning to think he didn't win :tongue_smilie:)