Menu

Kitchen Faucet with Pull Out Sprayer Questions

Our new home has one of those kitchen faucets where the whole faucet pulls out to become a sprayer. I've had the kind where there is a little separate sprayer on the side, but this is the entire faucet that comes out.

It leaks. If you accidentally spray towards the faucet, water goes down the faucet and leaks in the cabinet under the sink. I can see how that would be user error; don't spray water down the hole in the faucet. But water also drips down the hose and into the cabinet under the sink (darn that cohesion and gravity). I can't see how I can keep the hose perfectly dry while using the faucet as a sprayer as it was intended.

Is this normal for this kind of faucet? Should there be some sort of gasket that prevents water from dripping down the hose and into the cabinet? In this house where many things were installed incorrectly and done poorly, I wouldn't be surprised that it was incorrectly installed. Before I complain to the leasing agent, I thought I'd check to be sure it isn't just user error and I'm suppose to figure out a way to never get water on the hose.

It feels like everything is broken or improperly installed here. I don't understand how the owners lived with so many issues. I'm sure we've been a thorn in the leasing agent's side.

Some things like broken dishwasher and leaking faucet we can complain about and get fixed. Other things like improperly wired switches, we are probably stuck with unless we fix them ourselves. Several places there are two switches for the same fixture; instead of them both working, you have to have one of them on all the time for the other one to work at all...so you have to walk down the hall to the other end to turn on the light, for example.

Sounds like an installation issue-ours doesn't do that. Also-if you have the kind with the buttons on top to go from stream to spray, don't press while in faucet mode-pressing too hard will break the faucet.

One thought-if you get too much hose pulled out and spraying on that is the leak issue-do you have the weight on the hose inside the cabinet? That might help keep the maximum amount of hose retracted.

Can you tell if the leak is coming from the connection at the head or the connection on the underside of the faucet under the sink? I'm assuming it doesn't leak when you use it as a normal faucet.

I think the hose is probably under higher pressure when you use it as a sprayer, because the flow is restricted more than it is when it's used as a normal faucet.

If you haven't tried tightening the connections, I would try that first. You could also take the connections apart, clean them up and give them each 2 or 3 wraps of teflon tape prior to reassembling. Make sure the connections are good and tight. That might solve it as well. If any of the fittings are plastic, which is likely, make sure you don't tighten them so much that you crack them.

We have a Price Pfister faucet and it doesn't have any type of washer at the connections if my memory is correct. If yours is supposed to have washers at either connection, they could be missing as well.

Our new home has one of those kitchen faucets where the whole faucet pulls out to become a sprayer. I've had the kind where there is a little separate sprayer on the side, but this is the entire faucet that comes out.

It leaks. If you accidentally spray towards the faucet, water goes down the faucet and leaks in the cabinet under the sink. I can see how that would be user error; don't spray water down the hole in the faucet. But water also drips down the hose and into the cabinet under the sink (darn that cohesion and gravity). I can't see how I can keep the hose perfectly dry while using the faucet as a sprayer as it was intended.

Is this normal for this kind of faucet? Should there be some sort of gasket that prevents water from dripping down the hose and into the cabinet? In this house where many things were installed incorrectly and done poorly, I wouldn't be surprised that it was incorrectly installed. Before I complain to the leasing agent, I thought I'd check to be sure it isn't just user error and I'm suppose to figure out a way to never get water on the hose.

This is the reason I don't have that kind of faucet, and never will. They all seem to leak. I much prefer a high arch faucet with a side sprayer and a single handle.

Ours does this occasionally. There is a rubber o-rink gasket that sometimes gets moved out of place, especially if you use a swivel motion to reach into the corners of the sink. To fix it, I carefully unscrew the faucet head (keeping a firm grip on the pull out hose so it doesn't accidentally retract), take out the o-ring and reposition it, screw the head back on and I'm back in business. Leaks are gone.

We have had two different brands over the past 9 years. Neither of them have done that.

I would definitely take it apart and check for a leak or clogged screen. If it is only doing that when the sprayer is in use, I would suspect something to do with hose position.

The leak is specifically from water following the hose. If you were to pull the hose out, hold it up, and get it wet, the water would run down the hose through the faucet, and into the cabinet.

Then you probably need a new gasket for the base of the hose. The hose itself should be coming through a gasket where it joins into the sink.

The leak is specifically from water following the hose. If you were to pull the hose out, hold it up, and get it wet, the water would run down the hose through the faucet, and into the cabinet.

Okay, well, yeah, I guess mine would too, but you would kinda have to try hard to do it; like turning it all back around on itself. What I am imagining would happen the same on the sprayers that are independent from the main faucet.

Does your hose dip down into the sink or get in the way somehow (is the weight under the sink missing that keeps it taught)? Other than and incidental spritz here and there, I can't imagine it getting very wet.

Ours is a Delta. It happens to have a lifetime warranty. The sprayer handle is made of plastic (covered with a "satin nickel" finish that looks metal LOL). After four years or so, it cracked after undue pressure was applied by a three year old. I called; they sent a new one without my providing any "proof". Apparently the particular problem we had is very common. The replacement part was the entire handle, without the hose. I think it might have included the plastic gasket where it attaches to the hose.