Menu

Which Lial's are the ones posted about?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I was looking at what our local BIOLA program for homeschoolers offers (I've heard they are a quality program but the long post on homeschooling and regulations made me curious so I was looking at the texts they use) and saw that they use mostly Lial's for math. However, I can't tell if they are the high school or college texts because I've not paid very close attention to the Lial's threads :blush: They list BCM but then go to a Pre-Algebra course, which I don't recall seeing mentioned here. Anyway, can you Lial's experts tell me if these are the high school or college texts? Also, doesn't Lial's have a Geometry course? It looks like they use Jacobs.

Basic College Mathematics, 8th Edition Addison Wesley 978-0321557124

Basic College Mathematics Student Solution Manual, 8th Edition Addison Wesley 978-0321574640

Basic College Mathematics Videos on DVD, 8th Edition Addison Wesley 978-0321607829

Prealgebra, 4th Edition Addison Wesley 978-0321567925

Prealgebra Student Solutions Manual, 4th Edition Addison Wesley 978-0321574787

Prealgebra Videos on DVD, 4th Edition Addison Wesley 978-0321614087

Introductory Algebra, 9th Edition Addison Wesley 978-0321557131

Introductory Algebra Student Solution Manual, 9th Edition Addison Wesley 978-0321576439

Introductory Algebra Videos on DVD, 9th Edition Addison Wesley 978-0321607812

Intermediate Algebra, 9th Edition Addison Wesley 978-0321574978

Intermediate Algebra Student Solution Manual, 9th Edition Addison Wesley 978-0321576293

Intermediate Algebra Videos on DVD, 9th Edition Addison Wesley 978-0321576286

Graphical Approach to Precalculus, 4th Edition Addison Wesley 978-0321357830

Graphical Approach to Precalculus, Student Solutions Manual Addison Wesley 978-0321358004

Graphical Approach to Precalculus, Digital Video Tutor, 4th Ed. Addison Wesley 978-0321358066

It doesn't appear that they go beyond PreCalculus, which surprises me. I figured they'd also have Calculus. Here is what they use for Geometry. Is it the Jacob's I often see posted?

Geometry Seeing, Doing, Understanding, 3rd Edition W. H. Freeman and Company 978-0716743613

Geometry Seeing, Doing, Understanding, Teacher Guide 3rd Ed. W. H. Freeman and Company 978-0716756071

Thanks!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
My findings while doing searches here led me to Amazon, and all that I saw were college editions. If I understand correctly, BCM is used prior to Intro to Algebra.

I think Jann in TX would know....

eta-actually, it was Pearson's website that showed only college editions. hth.

What makes me wonder is that they use a Lial's Pre-Algebra course after BCM.

The Lial series you posted was designed for remedial college students. Pearson does have the SAME series marketed with a different cover under the title 'high school'... but does not actively market this series to public schools.

The material contained (with exception of Pre-Calculus) is NOT college-level material--it is HIGH SCHOOL level material and does not count as college credit (classes are for students who either 'forgot', did poorly in, or did not take the corresponding high school course.

The strength of this series is in the teaching/presentation and the order of concepts. The concepts 'build' on each other--so the material in chapter 5 uses material found in the previous 4 chapters... ALL of the teaching lesson is presented in the student text--instead of the abbreviated examples common in traditional PS texts. Each lesson (designed in a block scheduling format) is divided up into very detailed examples (step by step with reasons given for each step).

There are only MINOR changes between editions--in most cases the cover change is the most obvious. They have upgraded the video support DVTs beginning with the 9th edition--but very few students I have met with who use this program feel there is a need to watch the videos on a daily basis--the text is very strong.

I suggest the 7th edition of BCM and the 8th of both Introductory and Intermediate Algebras (these were all published the same year).

Lial has several different Pre-Calc series. The one I like is the 3rd edition of plain 'Pre-Calculus'---this is a hardbound text as opposed to the ones listed above which are paperback.

Lial has 2 different series published by the same company (Pearson/Addision Wesley). Same basic teaching--but very different formats. I prefer the font size and organization of the paperback series for BCM through Intermediate Algebra. Practice problems are supplied in the margins for the student to work through as they read through the lesson--to check for understanding before they move on to the next example.

Lial has a Geometry program-it covers the basics but it does not offer video support. Not as many of these texts are published because Geometry is not a prerequisite for college Maths.

I'm currently using Holt Geometry 2007 edition--authored by Dr Burger of Thinkwell (he also made free videos for this program). Last year I used Jacob's 3rd edition but was not impressed--it has a self-discovery method and I prefer a more direct text (like his 2nd edition text).

You will find very few programs that have Pre-Algebra through Calculus-- if these have a Calculus course offered it tends to be just Calc 1--so the student would have to switch for Calc II and III... It is just as easy to choose a solid Calc I program --similar to what a potential university is using--so the course change is as fluid as possible.

Math text authors tend to concentrate on one set of 'levels'--Lial concentrates on high school level courses--and overlaps with her Pre-Calc course. Pearson (the Lial publisher) offers several options as far as Calculus texts go...

The Lial series is really nicknamed "Lial" because she is the main author---in reality most math texts are referred to by their publisher (Holt Geometry...) unless you look closely you would not know the main author changes between 'level's (elementary, middle school, high school, college...).

BCM (Basic College Math) is one of TWO Pre-Algebra level courses authored by Margaret Lial. I personally prefer BCM because it does a better job at reviewing middle school math concepts thus creating a stronger foundation for Algebra 1. Lial's Pre-Algebra text is somewhere in the middle between BCM and Algebra 1---it contains more advanced middle school material and a slightly longer introduction to Algebra 1... normally only ONE of these courses is necessary.... same type of difference Saxon 8/7 has with Saxon's Algebra 1/2.

You can pm or e-mail me if you need any isbns

Jann

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
The Lial series you posted was designed for remedial college students. Pearson does have the SAME series marketed with a different cover under the title 'high school'... but does not actively market this series to public schools.

The material contained (with exception of Pre-Calculus) is NOT college-level material--it is HIGH SCHOOL level material and does not count as college credit (classes are for students who either 'forgot', did poorly in, or did not take the corresponding high school course.

The strength of this series is in the teaching/presentation and the order of concepts. The concepts 'build' on each other--so the material in chapter 5 uses material found in the previous 4 chapters... ALL of the teaching lesson is presented in the student text--instead of the abbreviated examples common in traditional PS texts. Each lesson (designed in a block scheduling format) is divided up into very detailed examples (step by step with reasons given for each step).

There are only MINOR changes between editions--in most cases the cover change is the most obvious. They have upgraded the video support DVTs beginning with the 9th edition--but very few students I have met with who use this program feel there is a need to watch the videos on a daily basis--the text is very strong.

I suggest the 7th edition of BCM and the 8th of both Introductory and Intermediate Algebras (these were all published the same year).

Lial has several different Pre-Calc series. The one I like is the 3rd edition of plain 'Pre-Calculus'---this is a hardbound text as opposed to the ones listed above which are paperback.

Lial has 2 different series published by the same company (Pearson/Addision Wesley). Same basic teaching--but very different formats. I prefer the font size and organization of the paperback series for BCM through Intermediate Algebra. Practice problems are supplied in the margins for the student to work through as they read through the lesson--to check for understanding before they move on to the next example.

Lial has a Geometry program-it covers the basics but it does not offer video support. Not as many of these texts are published because Geometry is not a prerequisite for college Maths.

I'm currently using Holt Geometry 2007 edition--authored by Dr Burger of Thinkwell (he also made free videos for this program). Last year I used Jacob's 3rd edition but was not impressed--it has a self-discovery method and I prefer a more direct text (like his 2nd edition text).

You will find very few programs that have Pre-Algebra through Calculus-- if these have a Calculus course offered it tends to be just Calc 1--so the student would have to switch for Calc II and III... It is just as easy to choose a solid Calc I program --similar to what a potential university is using--so the course change is as fluid as possible.

Math text authors tend to concentrate on one set of 'levels'--Lial concentrates on high school level courses--and overlaps with her Pre-Calc course. Pearson (the Lial publisher) offers several options as far as Calculus texts go...

The Lial series is really nicknamed "Lial" because she is the main author---in reality most math texts are referred to by their publisher (Holt Geometry...) unless you look closely you would not know the main author changes between 'level's (elementary, middle school, high school, college...).

BCM (Basic College Math) is one of TWO Pre-Algebra level courses authored by Margaret Lial. I personally prefer BCM because it does a better job at reviewing middle school math concepts thus creating a stronger foundation for Algebra 1. Lial's Pre-Algebra text is somewhere in the middle between BCM and Algebra 1---it contains more advanced middle school material and a slightly longer introduction to Algebra 1... normally only ONE of these courses is necessary.... same type of difference Saxon 8/7 has with Saxon's Algebra 1/2.

You can pm or e-mail me if you need any isbns

Jann

Thanks Jann, I'm going to PM you :001_smile:

So ... I scored a 5th Edition Lial's "Algebra and Trigonometry" at Goodwill today. This looks to me like the "Algebra 2 and Trig" course I took way back when with a couple more advanced topics added in. I have noticed that second year algebra textbooks used in schools no longer seem include "and Trigonometry" in their titles, so I am guessing this is what would now be Precalculus? Jann? Anyone?

Lial's Pre-Calc comes marketed as "College Algebra with Trigonometry" or as "Pre-Calc".... the only difference is the cover. These texts share the SAME solutions manual... different states/colleges have different requirements on how the class is to be labeled....

Lial does not offer Intermediate Algebra (their Algebra 2) with a Trig... Trig is either separate or combined with College Algebra.

Lial has College Algebra as a prerequisite to Trig...

College Algebra is "Algebra 3" it will expand on Algebra 2 and add in more work with functions and stuff (late night math term...).

Thanks Jann. :)

The copy I scored is pretty old, from 1990, and doesn't have "College" in the title. However, the table of contents looks nearly identical to the current College Algebra and Trig book by Lial. It's also a mint condition hardcover, so I am pretty happy with it. Of course, it does not have the modern emphasis on graphing calculators, but as a math Luddite, I more than fine with that and will complain endlessly about having to let them use a graphing calculator for calculus so they can do the AP exam.