Menu

Seeking advice for our babysitter in ps

Hi,

I just had a very long conversation last night with our babysitter, who is a junior in ps. She is so confused and full of emotion! She has a great mom that hs her through elementary and is really trying to be there for her. Her dad is there, but emotionally distant. She goes to a good church and is part of the youth group and has gone on a couple of missions trips.

She really dislikes school, doesn't know what she wants to be and wishes she had a boyfriend. I tried to tell her to find the joy in everything she does, but really, whatever I say, I might as well be talking to the wind.

Are there some book(s) I can give her or ways to encourage her? She just seems so hopeless about everything! Is there a Meyers-Brigg type of test she can take to narrow down a path for her to consider?

High schoolers are a whole new ball game for me. Thank you!

Perhaps You Majored in What? would help her understand that life is quite possible no matter what you studied at uni. Anyway, I remember being in her situation not so long ago and I chose to do an arts degree, including Auslan, as a way to pick up the education I felt I should have had already. There was a gap of a few years between school and uni, so I worked and took short courses; and saved for the car I needed to get to uni!

Money is inspiring. Perhaps ask her what she'd do if she had money. What courses might she do at night school or weekends? Where might she travel? I got a long way on my crappy grocery shop wage. :) Of course I could have gone further on a good wage, but some of us aren't ready for that at age 18.

Boyfriends are also inspiring. There were some very interesting and good looking chaps in my history program, but the one that really stood out was in my Auslan course ;)

Rosie