Menu

Is there anything like ALEKS that is a full curriculum?

My son is using ALEKS for some much needed review and he is really responding to the immediate feedback. I love the way it gives him more problems when he needs more practice and fewer when he doesn't. He is so motivated to fill up the pie pieces that he has been enthusiastically working on math for two hours each day this week.

There has got to be something like this that is more complete than ALEKS. Any ideas?

Thanks!

If you use Khan Academy videos for instruction along with Aleks, and perhaps a textbook for reference, it can be pretty complete. This is what we do, because the immediate feedback is very important to my kids. For dd8, I do provide extra worksheets and impromptu lessons based on what she selects from her pie. For my older boys, I make myself available to provide impromptu lessons, but most of the time, they either figure it out themselves based on "Explain" or "Another Explanation" or watch a Khan Academy video rather than come to me. The older boys also have and use AoPS textbooks (which they enjoy reading), but they are lazy about the problem sets, a fact I let them get away with because they are doing Aleks.

ETA: We are pretty mathy, so I am comfortable teaching elementary math concepts essentially without a textbook, just using Aleks as a curriculum guide and feedback mechanism, and with providing mental math as fun games with mom. I am also comfortable providing impromptu lessons on pretty much all the math Aleks covers for my older kids, so that may make a difference.

Edited by Elizabeth in WA