Menu

TRISMS users, help me plan!

My dd is in 7th this year, but I have to decide very soon what we're using for 8th (she gets some grant money each year that I have to apply for, and I have to submit an itemized list of our materials). I'm trying to decide between going right into Discovering the Ancient World for 8th grade - which gives us 5 years for the whole rotation - or doing a year of American history (Sonlight Core 100) first and doing the TRISMS rotation in 4 years. Whatever we decide, my younger one will do the same time periods with different materials.

Is it worth taking a year to do Am Hist. before starting the cycle? I already own SL 100 and most of SL 3+4, which is why I keep coming back to that. Does AOR work best in 2 years? or can you do it in one?

Thanks!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
My dd is in 7th this year, but I have to decide very soon what we're using for 8th (she gets some grant money each year that I have to apply for, and I have to submit an itemized list of our materials). I'm trying to decide between going right into Discovering the Ancient World for 8th grade - which gives us 5 years for the whole rotation - or doing a year of American history (Sonlight Core 100) first and doing the TRISMS rotation in 4 years. Whatever we decide, my younger one will do the same time periods with different materials.

Is it worth taking a year to do Am Hist. before starting the cycle? I already own SL 100 and most of SL 3+4, which is why I keep coming back to that. Does AOR work best in 2 years? or can you do it in one?

Thanks!

We are doing TRISMS in 4 years with my older children because we unexpectedly added to our family the year we would have needed to start it to use it over 5 years and just didn't have the time do start that year. With my younger children we will be doing it over 5 years. Not only is the 4th volume VERY full but I add about a quarter's worth of material between the 3rd and 4th volumes in order to cover the American Revolution and very early US History. I'd much rather be doing it all over 5 years instead of squishing it into 4!

I started my daughter with DAW in 7th grade last year. It took more than a year to complete, so I'm guessing that we'll not be through EOC this year. I'm thinking that the whole series is going to take 4 1/2 years plus I'll be adding another year of just American History either separately or at appropriate times throughout the Trisms curriculum. I would tend to hold off on American History until later. Another consideration in holding off is that my state wants to see American History as a High School subject.