Menu

Tarbuck's Earth Science - Teacher Manual necessary?

I bought the 12th edition of Tarbuck's Earth Science to use with my daughter next year (8th grade). I see that there is a Teacher's Manual available that has answers to the review questions after each chapter. Does anyone use the TM? Is it worth it?

The price is quite expensive (around $95 on Amazon), but I see there is a PDF format on Amazon for only $28. That makes me a little suspicious that the PDF isn't easy to use or read or something, given its cheap price (and how was the PDF made? By somebody scanning the book?).

Thanks,

Diane

I see there is a PDF format on Amazon for only $28. That makes me a little suspicious that the PDF isn't easy to use or read or something, given its cheap price (and how was the PDF made? By somebody scanning the book?).

Whether they scanned it themselves or actually had access to an e-book version from Pearson, reselling the files is illegal; it's a violation of copyright law. Someone is also selling the "e-book version" of this on ebay, advertising to students that it will give them the exam questions and answers. :glare:

Jackie

I bought the 12th edition of Tarbuck's Earth Science to use with my daughter next year (8th grade). I see that there is a Teacher's Manual available that has answers to the review questions after each chapter. Does anyone use the TM? Is it worth it?

Also, just wondering (since you're using this with an 8th grader) if you were aware that the version of Earth Science you have is the intro college one, not the standard HS text? There is a wrap-around, hardcover Teacher's Edition for the HS text (around $40-50 on Amazon), but there is only the paperback Instructor's Manual for the college text (which, as you've seen, costs about twice as much).

Jackie

Hi, Elinor!

I thought that I'd give a response, although I am using a different version of the Tarbuck and Lutgens Earth Science. This year, for my eighth grader, we are using this: http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZu6g&PMDbSiteId=2781&PMDbSolutionId=6724&PMDbSubSolutionId=&PMDbCategoryId=814&PMDbSubCategoryId=&PMDbSubjectAreaId=&PMDbProgramId=18221&PMDbProductId=340701

For me, whose major in college was not science, the Teacher's Manual has been invaluable; I'd not be able to do anywhere near as good a job without it.

Just to add, I also purchased the "Student Express" CD ROM in addition to the hardback student text, and it has been very nice to have (but certainly not necessary). The Lab Manual and Teacher's Lab Manual that I purchased have been useful, although many of the lab activities are repeated in the hard text (not all, but enough).

If I had to do it all over again, I'd purchase the Student text, TM, and Student Express CD-ROM. I'd forgo the Lab Manuals, though.

In the past, I have purchased some used texts and teacher's manuals off of Alibris, using only the highest rated sellers with excellent condition books. Although I have had some success there in finding used books, there sometimes is less available if the version is very current.

HTH!

AmeliaBinMO

Edited by AmeliaBinMO

Oh no! I didn't realize I bought the college edition. Rats - that wasn't cheap. Ok.....I'm glad I didn't buy the PDF version of the TM; it seemed off somehow, and illegal activity isn't something I want to support. :glare:

I agree about having a TM - I don't like science much anyway, so it's hard for me to teach it.

Sigh. Anyone want to buy a college-edition of Earth Science? :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I went on the Pearson site and looked at the 12th Edition. It's in the category of high school AP/Elective, so I think we'll be okay. I'm going to use it, just not make her memorize every term (there are a lot). Now, back to my TM dilemma...guess I'll try & find one used.

Edited by Elinor Everywhere