Menu

Anybody use My Fathers World history for High School?

:lurk5: Just popping in to listen! I am STRONGLY considering this for dd next year in 9th. She is doing American history this year and will be ready to go back to Ancient history. She is strong in writing and literature. I've read on threads here that you write almost every day. That would be great for her because I believe she will end up in that career field in some form or fashion.

We'll be doing WHL next... doing AHL currently. There are a few here that are doing WHL now. Have you done a search of the board yet?

Oops, editing to say, are you talking specifically about their year 2 World History, or MFW history in general?

I am talking in general. My oldest dd is only in 7th this year and I am good through next year. I have been looking into Notgrass and I see this includes Notgrass. :001_smile:

We're doing AHL right now with my youngest child. We're accomplishing many of the goals I had when I homeschooled my older dd, but it's all planned out for me -- whew, what a difference!

Probably our favorite part is reading through the entire Bible together, but my son has also enjoyed exploring all of his questions about how that Bible meshes with the rest of history, science, literature, etc.

I also think there is enough variety in learning methods that the information is rounded out and memorable. There are timeline figures, maps, writing assignments, plenty of factual reading, some historical fiction, and even books that have pictures :) But there is some free reading assigned, so my son's boys' book club still fits on the schedule.

Also willing to answer questions :)

Julie

We used AHL last year and are using WHL. We are very pleased ... all planned out for us. Read OT in AHL and NT in WHL with additional resources. Notgrass history is enjoyable and readable. Writing assignments included with instruction from Smarr Lit for AHL and Writer's Inc for WHL. Literature is a very doable list for average readers and includes list of additional/optional reading for voracious readers.

Sylvia

We used AHL last year, currently doing WHL. What kind of info are you looking for? I'd be happy to answer questions! We have been very happy with both.

Is the Bible study interwoven with the history? How long a day does it take, assuming this counts as a full history, Bible and English, correct? Is this a full English? Do you have to add any Lit into it? Is there enough additional reading selections for history? Does the Lit tie in well with the History?

Sorry, I am not trying to bombard with questions LOL. How does your day look doing this? I really like what I see from my catalog and the website :D

Also for those who have done the American History- is there enough Government included? How about Economics?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Yes, the Bible study is interwoven with the history. The Lit ties in with the history as well. It merges quite well, I think.

Dd's day takes about 3 hours to finish all 3 subjects - Bible, History and Lit. Sometimes it takes her longer, especially if she is working on a writing assignment. This is definitely a full English course. MFW suggests giving 1 credit each for the 3 subjects, which is what we have done. (We consider a 1-credit course to be a 5-day per week, 50 minute class).

In my opinion, there is plenty of reading. I wouldn't think it is necessary to add anything additional for either Lit or History. However, we do add an extra reading book of dd's choice each month, simply because we'd like her to have read a whole bunch before college - and, she loves to read. :)

I will tell you that Notgrass was not my favorite. Nor was it my dd's favorite. We used it all thru AHL and for the 1st few weeks of WHL. Then, we switched to a combo of SWB's History of the Medieval World and Spielvogel's Western Civ. We are much happier. I look at the Notgrass assignments each week and match up chapters in the other 2 books for dd to read. We are both enjoying the reading much more. (I read what dd, and ds, for that matter, read each week so that I'm able to discuss everything with them, and answer their questions.)

We have not used American History yet, so I can't speak to that.

Hope this helps! We do love this course.

My oldest is half way through AHL.

Is the Bible study interwoven with the history?

Yes. Absolutely. In AHL you are reading the entire OT during Ancient History. very interwoven. There are even essay assignments where you end up comparing and contrasting the motivations and relationships of the Living God of the Bible to those motivations and relationships of the pagan gods in ancient history. Lots of good stuff in this AHL program.

How long a day does it take, assuming this counts as a full history, Bible and English, correct? Is this a full English? Do you have to add any Lit into it? Is there enough additional reading selections for history? Does the Lit tie in well with the History?

My dd is a strong worker. She spends about 5-6 hours in school for everything (AHL, Russian, Geometry, Biology, and elective stuff). Sometimes she needs longer to finish writing assignments of course. So that's average time.

I think she's spending enough time on each subject and appropriate "depth" to count Bible, History and English each as 1 credit. I like that Notgrass is one part of the History, but not all of it.

English: we add some extra reading (historical fiction and just "free time" reading). There are suggestions in the daily lesson planner for specific titles to add in for historical fiction. Lit and History are very connected. We've done Gilgamesh, Cat of Bubastes, various Homer, Bulfinch Age of Fable. So the literature is definitely there. And MFW encourages to add literature for those who really love to read. They suggest some reading that isn't always tied to history titles either. (like using a great books list for SAT prep or something.)

The writing instruction is great!

Sorry, I am not trying to bombard with questions LOL. How does your day look doing this? I really like what I see from my catalog and the website

no worries on questions. :)

My daughter works mostly on her own. Then something cool comes up in reading and she comes in and shares it with us. Or she'll laugh at something and share it. Then, we try to have our bigger once a week conference as scheduled in the plans to go over everything. My dh and I don't keep up with everything she's reading, but we use notes and answer keys and stuff like that. We are keeping up with Bible reading time and a few other things, but not every word of every book. ;)

Also for those who have done the American History- is there enough Government included? How about Economics?

You might not get a lot of answers just yet on this. The year 3 program was piloted last year and just on the market this fall.

-crystal