Menu

College.univ choices in US & Canada for a future math/biochem major

Dd has placed into the Honours Algebra 2 class at the ps, although she will have to repeat their Honours Geometry class (she refused to study and missed the cut of score as a result). Because they don't offer German, she is going to have to switch languages. What I'd like to do is to check out future colleges to find out just how many foreign language credits she'll need to get into a math and/or biochem degree program. She keeps fluctuating between the two, but currently wants to do a double major.

Any suggestions? Ivies are out, since she doesn't want oodles of debt, but private colleges that offer scholarships, grants, etc are in, as well as any other good math and/or biochem school. Any state, ideally in the contiguous 48, or province (as long as she can get in speaking English). I realize that 4 semesters of French is required by Canadian Universities for Canadian residents, but if there's a good math or biochem one there (U of A??? I know they're good for some of the sciences) I could find out if she can meet that requirement in her first year there since she lives in the States. State colleges are okay, too, if the program is good.

The reason this is important is because dd would like to get Honours Geometry done next semester since it's a Freshman course.

Edited by Karin

You might want to look into Chatham University in Pittsburh, I know they have a big science dept. and many of the kids are chem/bio majors. I dont know about their math dept. The science building is very advanced and beautiful. Beautiful campus and not crowded. The kids really get a chance to learn and enjoy learning. Only two lang. reqs., I dont know math req for math major but dd got away w/just Geo. The admissions counselors are very helpful and very nice. They walked us thru the whole process.

Great school, w/great scholarships. So far dd is loving it, even the science class she had to take this year.

Don't know about BioChem, but every university we have looked at required only 1 year (2 semesters) of a foreign language.

However, if one wants a minor in a foreign language, I noticed that most schools require anywhere from 9 to 15 extra hours of language study, on top of the mandatory one year.

For a major I would expect it to be more hours, of course.

Dd has placed into the Honours Algebra 2 class at the ps

Congratulations to her on the placement! She mastered those absolute value graphs, then?

Any suggestions? Ivies are out, since she doesn't want oodles of debt, but private colleges that offer scholarships, grants, etc are in, as well as any other good math and/or biochem school. Any state, ideally in the contiguous 48, or province (as long as she can get in speaking English). I realize that 4 semesters of French is required by Canadian Universities for Canadian residents, but if there's a good math or biochem one there (U of A??? I know they're good for some of the sciences) I could find out if she can meet that requirement in her first year there since she lives in the States. State colleges are okay, too, if the program is good.

My dd's Canadian math friends often end up at Waterloo. It's got a fantastic reputation in math. Not sure about language requirements, but it's in Ontario.

~Kathy

Congratulations to her on the placement! She mastered those absolute value graphs, then?

My dd's Canadian math friends often end up at Waterloo. It's got a fantastic reputation in math. Not sure about language requirements, but it's in Ontario.

~Kathy

Thanks. She got the graphs, but didn't master Algebra 2, of course. There was some "double speak" going on the next time we met with what was being accomplished with the test, but she got into that class. I check into Waterloo & Chatham.

We're not checking out math, so I can't help you there, but as far as the sciences are concerned, so far we've come up with Pitt, Case Western, University of Rochester, Brandeis, Franklin and Marshall, Emory, Johns Hopkins, and Rice that are all considered top notch, but not Ivy. We've only been looking in the east (for the most part) and with research and pre-med as high considerations. There are probably others, but those are the ones coming to mind right now. Also, the above aren't in any particular order. Oh yes, Baylor was also one that came up.

Thanks. She got the graphs, but didn't master Algebra 2, of course. There was some "double speak" going on the next time we met with what was being accomplished with the test, but she got into that class. I check into Waterloo & Chatham.

Look at their competitive math exams. The 12th grade exam (the Euclid) has some bearing on admissions and scholarships....

I just had another college idea, Karin. Check out the University of Rochester. It's great in math and the sciences (especially). I went there for my undergrad in math and chemical engineering back in the 70's. Lots of potential for scholarship money, too.:)

~Kathy

Seconded. I was at U of R a bit after Kathy, and I agree that it's exceptional for sciences and very good for math (I say that not having studied more than the minimal requirements for either :)). I'm hoping my son considers it when the time comes.

I just had another college idea, Karin. Check out the University of Rochester. It's great in math and the sciences (especially). I went there for my undergrad in math and chemical engineering back in the 70's. Lots of potential for scholarship money, too.:)

~Kathy

Thanks! Looks like this one is popular, after you I had more recommendations for it.

We're not checking out math, so I can't help you there, but as far as the sciences are concerned, so far we've come up with Pitt, Case Western, University of Rochester, Brandeis, Franklin and Marshall, Emory, Johns Hopkins, and Rice that are all considered top notch, but not Ivy. We've only been looking in the east (for the most part) and with research and pre-med as high considerations. There are probably others, but those are the ones coming to mind right now. Also, the above aren't in any particular order. Oh yes, Baylor was also one that came up.

Great. Dd wants to stay back east, although I want to look at a few others just in case she changes her mind in a couple of years.

Look at their competitive math exams. The 12th grade exam (the Euclid) has some bearing on admissions and scholarships....

Thanks.

Seconded. I was at U of R a bit after Kathy, and I agree that it's exceptional for sciences and very good for math (I say that not having studied more than the minimal requirements for either :)). I'm hoping my son considers it when the time comes.

Thanks

So, for sure I'll check out U of Rochester after so many recommendations, & I have more. I'm also going to check out the University of Alberta, since reading about a few scientists who graduated from there who have done top work. Of course, they were Ph. D.'s , but I have a few cousins who went there in various disciplines & can ask them. Too far for dd right now, though.

The good news is that the 2 colleges I contacted from this yesterday had no foreign language requirements in the 2 fields dd is interested in, so she will only need 2 semesters in the new foreign language in order to graduate. I'll check some of these today, too, just to be sure. The guidance appointment is tomorrow.

Have you considered McGill in Montreal? It is renowned for its biochem department. And I believe there's not foreign language requirement, only Grade 12 English

http://www.mcgill.ca/applying/undergrad2011-12/canada/#xpgfId-324765

Thanks! I thought of McGill, but made the mistake of assuming that because it's in Montreal dd would need French. I'll check it out; one of my cousins went there & works there. It's also a lot closer than U of A, which also has some good science.

Edited by Karin

Thanks! I thought of McGill, but made the mistake of assuming that because it's in Montreal dd would need French.

I could be wrong, but I don't think French is a requirement for university entrance. However, it's nice to have just to live in this city ;) Makes for a nice immersion environment. On the other hand, I do know people who attended McGill and were never exposed to any French while they were here. They just restricted themselves to places where English was available.

I could be wrong, but I don't think French is a requirement for university entrance. However, it's nice to have just to live in this city ;) Makes for a nice immersion environment. On the other hand, I do know people who attended McGill and were never exposed to any French while they were here. They just restricted themselves to places where English was available.

After checking out your link, I spoke with dd & she's decided to take two semesters of French rather than Spanish, just in case. Of course, it will take her a while to get used to the French spoken in Quebec.

Here's a site which lists the top 50 colleges offering a biochemistry major.

http://colleges.collegetoolkit.com/colleges/browse/majors/byid/biochemistry/26.0202.aspx

:)

From looking at that site, it appears they get their "Top 50" just from percentage of graduating seniors with that major - not from actual content or prestige within the major. While the two might correspond a bit, the one doesn't necessarily mean the other. Several top schools for BioChem can also be top in other majors (music + others for U of R for instance) skewing the "percentage" results.

From looking at that site, it appears they get their "Top 50" just from percentage of graduating seniors with that major - not from actual content or prestige within the major. While the two might correspond a bit, the one doesn't necessarily mean the other. Several top schools for BioChem can also be top in other majors (music + others for U of R for instance) skewing the "percentage" results.

Yup - numbers can say just about anything you want them to. :)

Does anyone know of a site which allows you to search ALL colleges and universities within the US (or Canada, or ...) and put in different majors and have those listed? Ideally it would let you refine the search to include other majors, or school size, or location or ... Does anyone know of a site like this?

Yup - numbers can say just about anything you want them to. :)

Does anyone know of a site which allows you to search ALL colleges and universities within the US (or Canada' date=' or ...) and put in different majors and have those listed? Ideally it would let you refine the search to include other majors, or school size, or location or ... Does anyone know of a site like this?[/quote']

I don't, but still found this site interesting. I

I don't, but still found this site interesting. I

I agree. I think it looks like a nice site that I plan to explore further personally in our own college search. I just found their title of "Top 50" a little misleading as most people take it to mean "best" (within the field) not "most" (produced).

I agree. I think it looks like a nice site that I plan to explore further personally in our own college search. I just found their title of "Top 50" a little misleading as most people take it to mean "best" (within the field) not "most" (produced).

:iagree: As you may have inferred from that hanging "I" I was interrupted in my post and had to leave in a hurry. I think it's misleading, too, to say TOP 50; better to say most popular 50 or something like that. It also appeared to include only US colleges. If dd doesn't win any big scholarships, I'm going to encourage her to go to university in Canada because she has dual citizenship & can pay the Canadian citizen rate, although if there is an out of province tuition, she'll have to pay that. This way she'll be able to get a top education in her field for considerably less than she could down here in most cases.

The best think I've been able to learn from this thread for the immediate future is that she doesn't need 3-4 credits in a foreign language. This means she can take Honours Geometry next semester and start her new language next year. You need at least 2 full classes in a foreign language to meet the ps high school graduation requirements.