Menu

Anybody using Oak Meadow for high school?

We just use the material, not the online or correspondence part of of it.

So far we've use Biology, World History, parts of English 10 and this year we are using Psychology and Spanish II.

I like how it's all layed out, the syllabus' are great. I thought the Biology was okay, but spent a lot of time adding things to it to make it more, uh "more", I guess; extra readings and projects, that kind of thing. The reason why I didn't use it for Chemistry this year, was the same reason and also, there are some weeks where the student is supposed to cover 2 chapters a week. I thought it was too amibitious for our tastes since dd really struggled with that last year in the Biology.

I will definately use some more of the courses when ds gets to high school age.

My middle dd used OM 9th grade American history, 10th grade biology, and high school health. This year she's using OM 10th grade world history and 10th grade English. I like it so far. I'm planning to use OM 11th grade chemistry, 11th grade world geography, and high school world literature next year.

Angie, do you use the correspondence program or independent?

My daughter is using OM Biology this year, but not as an enrolled student.

She's enjoying it, but we thought the (mostly) paper labs included were too light. Her collegiate aspirations involve science and engineering, so a strong lab component was important to us. We bought the General Biology Labpaq, and I lined up the Labpaq labs with the topics in the OM syllabus. The Labpaq materials are very meaty, so it works well.

I really like how the OM weekly assignments are laid out, and it was very easy to create a more expansive Biology syllabus using the OM materials as a spine.

I used the materials independently.

I thought it was in this thread, but it must have been somewhere else that I posted that the OM Biology labs were very light. Most of them were paper labs. I would definitely recommend using something like Labpaqs for the labs.

:iagree:

We also did some dissection and wet/microscope labs with a co-op.

My 9th grader is using OM English 9 and World Geography (which I think is their 11th grade)

I like the content of the questions as they lead to higher levels of evaluation of the materials. However, the courses are very light compared to anything I have used for high school in the past. I am actually glad about the "lightness" of the courses b/c it has allowed us to have time for side studies of interest. I completely dropped their grammar/puct/writing book and have incorporated others. Ds has had time to add in reading of personal interest; he is currently reading the Iliad.

If you want a course that allows for personal freedom/wiggle room, I can recommend these 2.

The assignments are light but the comprehension questions require the student to pay attention to what they read and think about the answers. Assuming you have a student willing to put forth the effort (dd struggled with this her first quarter of the year). I also added in "On Writing Well" and Wordly Wise. Next year dd will probably go back to Lighning Lit since she says she prefers it. With teacher support since it's affordable and I really think dd needs to be accountable to someone besides me. I really like OM and wish I could afford teacher support but it's quite expensive. Dd is also doing OM Environmental Science which she finds very easy since she's covered much of it in various science classes over the years. And she is doing an art class through OM, as well. I have teachers manuals for the Science and English but the art class doesn't have one. At this point I do plan to have dd take OM's Biology course next year. She doesn't want to disect creatures and doesn't plan on a science career so the labs may be enough; I'll decide how to supplement later if I think it's necessary.

We are using their Latin course with teacher support. While it is less rigorous than many Latin courses out there, it uses the book (Cambridge) that we had been using anyway, which was important. The teacher has been very responsive, which has not *ever* been the case with any other correspondence/online course I have ever experienced before, and I truly appreciate that. In fact, everyone I've spoken with at OM has been incredibly nice and responsive.

I like the way the syllabus is set up, very clear what the kid is supposed to do. I also like that the workload isn't crazy huge. I will probably have him do their health course next year and possibly their biology and chemistry courses as well.