Menu

Which calculus for civil engineering?

My dd16 is currently taking Precalc II at the local CC. She is a junior. The CC offer both applied calculus and calculus with analytical geometry 1 for the spring semester. Any thoughts on which course she should take next.

We will talk with her counselor sometime this week, but i'd like to get a little insight from the hive, especially if you/spouse are an engineer or have an engineering student. ;)

Thanks!

:bigear:

I am a (former) engineer.

My college didn't have "applied calculus". We had something called "business calculus" which was like a "lite" version of calculus. The full-on calc classes were 5 hours and there was calc I and calc II. Business Calc was only worth 3 hours and there was no second class for it.

I would find out which of these courses is the more rigorous, full calculus course, and take that.

At our cc, you could tell the more rigorous course by the prerequisites. The "real" calculus (the one you want) has trig as a requirement. The other one will only have college algebra as a requirement (and I agree with the others that that'll be the "applied" course - more application heavy in the hopes that students see where calculus is used).

Also, take a look at later math courses. The full calculus track will have one or two classes following it. The other course won't have courses that have it as a prereq.

At ours, analytical calculus is the course for anyone going on in science. We have "elementary calculus" as the other one.