Menu

Oh my! He passed!!

My 13yo son passed his first lifeguard certification tonight! Yikes! He's growing up!

(he can't be an actual lifeguard before he's 16, and he's got many other classes to follow, but still...)

This particular class had a requirement of being at least 13 on the day of the exam, and he's 13 and 2 weeks. He was the youngest one by far. Most were 15 and up, including a few in their early 20's.

So not only is he working mostly at a high school level (not in every subject though) but he's now passing some tough classes outside of homeschool too. Darn over-achiever :tongue_smilie:

A proud mama nevertheless.

cool and wild, I see someone else said the same thing, have to be 15 here to take the class.

My boys have both started lifeguarding at 15. My oldest now 20 has worked at our neighborhood pool since then. He has moved up from the just a lifeguard to the manager of the lifeguards. He is good at what he does too.

Youngest just did it late in the summer, he has an offer at the Y too, we shall see what happens with that.

cool and wild, I see someone else said the same thing, have to be 15 here to take the class.

Over here it's a string of 4 classes that they have to follow. They have to be 13 for the first class, but 16 for the last one. So it's one class per year, with plenty of repetitions for all the info to sink in and become second nature.. Unfortunately for my son, the class he did pass does not allow him to do anything.

Interesting. They do have junior lifeguard classes and stuff but I don't know much about them and they aren't required.

Over here it's a string of 4 classes that they have to follow. They have to be 13 for the first class, but 16 for the last one. So it's one class per year, with plenty of repetitions for all the info to sink in and become second nature.. Unfortunately for my son, the class he did pass does not allow him to do anything.

Interesting. They do have junior lifeguard classes and stuff but I don't know much about them and they aren't required.

oh we also have junior lifeguard, which are not mandatory and are not recognised for anything either. The class my son passed is indeed mandatory to become a lifeguard, and included real lifeguard stuff and first aids knowledge.

And if anyone is interested I found a link to the lifesaving society

Taking four courses may allow you to become a lifeguard. The first one, Bronze Medallion will permit to initiate yoursef into first aid and rescue techniques. If you are 15 years old and succeeded that course, you can already be assistant lifeguard on a swimming pool. Thereafter, you should take the Bronze Cross and Standard First Aid which is in that last case a 16 hours course devoted only to first aid skills, and then, the National Lifeguard training. Now a stimulating job will await you!

My son passed the first one, Bronze Medallion. I didn't know he could be an assistant lifeguard when he turns 15! Cool! First job ;-)

Edited by CleoQc

oh we also have junior lifeguard, which are not mandatory and are not recognised for anything either. The class my son passed is indeed mandatory to become a lifeguard, and included real lifeguard stuff and first aids knowledge.

And if anyone is interested I found a link to the lifesaving society

My son passed the first one, Bronze Medallion. I didn't know he could be an assistant lifeguard when he turns 15! Cool! First job ;-)

Yeah I had gotten that he had to pass the various stages. Not like that here.

There is one class-I think it was like a week or so, 5 or so hours in a day. Swimmer boy's class was a bit messed up since he had pancreatitis before the last class. I was just happy they let him come in about 2 weeks later to finish it.

It is great to know they can have a job too. My boys have also done swim lessons. My oldest charges about $20 for a half hour lesson.

Ahah! He lost a tooth this morning! A baby tooth ! ;-)

Just to show me he's still young. Love that boy..

I told him he's probably the first one who passed this class and *then* lost a tooth. Isn't 13 a bit on the late side to lose teeth?

A bit late, but not at all abnormal. Was he a late teether? I have a hypothesis that early teethers tend to lose teeth early, etc, but have never looked to see if anyone has done a study on this.

A bit late, but not at all abnormal.

Not abnormal at all. It was just the contrast between passing his lifeguard, and losing a baby tooth...

As for teething, I have no recollection at all of him ever teething. But his baby teeth started falling when he was almost 8, so pretty late. Thus it makes sense that he would still have to lose some. It was just the irony of growing up, but not completely :)

Not abnormal at all. It was just the contrast between passing his lifeguard, and losing a baby tooth...

As for teething, I have no recollection at all of him ever teething. But his baby teeth started falling when he was almost 8, so pretty late. Thus it makes sense that he would still have to lose some. It was just the irony of growing up, but not completely :)

I got that part of it:D. Isn't it amazing what we can forget from when our dc were tiny? I'm now looking at possible colleges for dd in light of decisions we're making now that she's transferring to the local ps, and in so many ways I'm just not ready for this.

Congrats, Cleo!

And I can add to your study, Karin. My three all got their first teeth late and then drove our orthodontist nuts because they didn't get their permanant teeth at the normal time. She kept sending them away saying, "Go grow some teeth for me, ok?" Between that and my forgetting appointments and our being away for months at a time, it is a wonder that she is still talking to us. She's finally gotten used to the absenses and schedules around them, but...

-Nan

Congrats, Cleo!

And I can add to your study, Karin. My three all got their first teeth late and then drove our orthodontist nuts because they didn't get their permanant teeth at the normal time. She kept sending them away saying, "Go grow some teeth for me, ok?" Between that and my forgetting appointments and our being away for months at a time, it is a wonder that she is still talking to us. She's finally gotten used to the absenses and schedules around them, but...

-Nan

:001_smile: Always nice to have supporting evidence. I will take evidence that contradicts this, though.