Menu

Does my ds really NEED biology?

My ds is VERY focused on taking classes that relate to what he wants to be when he grows up (propulsion engineer). He's taking classes at our local CC right now and we were planning out which classes he'd take and which we'd do at home. He really does NOT want to study biology. Before going to a 4 year college, he'd have Chem 1 and 2 and Physics 1 and 2 for science (taken at the CC). And, he's probably going to get in up to calculus 3 in math.

We could drop one of the chem or physics at the CC. Or, he could do it at home if it really is necessary.

What do you think?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Is he interested in any specific colleges/universities? If so, I'd see if it would be required for his desired major. Both Biology and Advanced Biology (anatomy & physiology) are mandatory in my house because I feel they are very important regardless of the desired major.

I am certainly no expert, but I do not plan to force my son to take biology. 10th grade biology was the last science class I ever took. Killing and dissecting the frog was so traumatic for me, I refuse to put ds through it. There are so many other options at CC.

The beauty of homeschooling is our freedom to choose.

You had to kill the frog???? Ours came dead. Killing it would have traumatized me too!

I'd check with the Student Advisor. I think Bio 101 and 102 are required, but I'm not positive ;)

Do you mean at the 4 year college he wants to attend or at his CC? In MI, I think (I don't have time to look it up) for a college-bound student, for high school they recommend 3 − 4 years of science and bio is typical. But, if he has the equivalent of 4 years of science related to his field, does he really need bio? I guess I should look at the requirements of his choices of 4 year college.

Do you mean at the 4 year college he wants to attend or at his CC? In MI, I think (I don't have time to look it up) for a college-bound student, for high school they recommend 3 − 4 years of science and bio is typical. But, if he has the equivalent of 4 years of science related to his field, does he really need bio? I guess I should look at the requirements of his choices of 4 year college.

I know when I went Bio was required, both to transfer and to graduate. The advisor said that any college I would transfer to (public VA uni) would require it.

He may not *need* it, but they may require it of him anyway ;)

Is he interested in any specific colleges/universities? If so, I'd see if it would be required for his desired major. Both Biology and Advanced Biology (anatomy & physiology) are mandatory in my house because I feel they are very important regardless of the desired major.

Yes. A couple. I just checked. All require just chem and physics. I guess that answers my question! I'll keep looking though - just in case he changes his mind.

I'm inclined to have him do it at home so that he has somewhat of a background.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I am certainly no expert, but I do not plan to force my son to take biology. 10th grade biology was the last science class I ever took. Killing and dissecting the frog was so traumatic for me, I refuse to put ds through it. There are so many other options at CC.

The beauty of homeschooling is our freedom to choose.

:blink::ohmy::scared: We had the option of killing a frog in COLLEGE A&P for an extra credit experiment that had to be performed on something that had just died but even in college we didn't HAVE to kill anything. We did dissections because they came dead any my kids aren't squeamish but if they were (or we had to kill them) we'd definitely be doing virtual dissections!!!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Yes. A couple. I just checked. All require just chem and physics. I guess that answers my question! I'll keep looking though - just in case he changes his mind.

Then you should be fine:001_smile: You could have him do a light course at his leisure so it's not a full course that really adds to his load.

Awesome! Sounds like he's good to go!

it's so hard for me to offer advice because I *love* biology. If I were you, I would contact the colleges he wants to attend and see what they say. It all might be out of your hands if it's a required course, BUT, they also might love what he's done so far and give him a thumbs up.

I agree - check with any and all potential colleges. Many places assume the kids will have Biology as one of (usually two - sometimes more) required lab courses.

You had to kill the frog???? Ours came dead. Killing it would have traumatized me too!

Yes, I was supposed to stick a rod down it's throat and break it's neck to kill it (I guess that's called pithing it). I must not have done it right, because mine didn't die. I had to do it several times.

If I find out ds has to have biology, I wouldn't force the lab.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

The technical college here (sort of like community college) told me that high school biology was required for all of their sciences. I was inquiring for dual enrollment options. They do have a Biology 100 that can be taken, you have to take either that or high school biology. Especially since he wants to do engineering, I would think he would have to take it. Biology 101 at ds college is HARD, I certainly wouldn't want that to be his first experience with it.

I would definately check back with the colleges, the Michigan Merit Curriculum that went into effect for graduates of 2011 requires biology, so things may be changing. Since that change went into effect all of the local high schools now require biology to graduate, they now also include three lab sciences to meet the criteria.

Edited by melmichigan

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Yes, I was supposed to stick a rod down it's throat and break it's neck to kill it (I guess that's called pithing it). I must not have done it right, because mine didn't die. I had to do it several times.

If I find out ds has to have biology, I wouldn't force the lab.

Actually, pithing is done from the back of the head at the base of the skull. Taking out the brain stem is what kills it.

ETA that you use the straight metal dissecting needle to do this.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

Could he do a simple biology textbook without a lab? I would think that would be sufficient. One of our local high schools just moved the 8th grade biology book to ninth grade and added in a physical science to meet the new requirements. :tongue_smilie: They offer a semester of biology for the requirement and then you can take another semester of biology that is more in line with high school biology using a different textbook as an elective. To be fair they did also add in an AP Biology to even it out a little.

Depends on your definition of "need".

Will he be able to get into some college without bio? Probably.

Should a person have knowledge about the functioning of organisms (the human one included), genetics, cell biology etc? I think so.

If you do not want to bother with the lab, that's one thing. But I think an educated person should know biology and would therefore require it of my kids, even if they did not wish to study it.

My teen elected not to take Biology. She did Conceptual Physical Science in 9th and Chemistry in 10th. Starting in 11th grade, she took her science classes at the local community college. She elected to take a year of Geology and then Environmental Science in her senior year as those subjects were more in line with her interests. She is a Classics major in college now and planning a minor in Geology.

She did admit that she has had to learn some Biology for her Geology class.

None of the ten colleges to which she applied specifically requested Biology though all did require at least three years of science. She was accepted at eight of those colleges and wait listed by the ninth.

I do think that checking the admissions requirements at his colleges of interest was a good idea.

Regards,

Kareni

You checked so quickly. How do you find this information?

I just went to three of the college websites and looked up their admission requirements. They were quite easy to find.

I would personally impose biology. If only to be able to understand your doctor later on in life, when your first born is facing health problem.

Tell him he's taking biology not for himself, but for his future kids!

:lol: That might fly!!

Could he do a simple biology textbook without a lab? I would think that would be sufficient. One of our local high schools just moved the 8th grade biology book to ninth grade and added in a physical science to meet the new requirements. :tongue_smilie: They offer a semester of biology for the requirement and then you can take another semester of biology that is more in line with high school biology using a different textbook as an elective. To be fair they did also add in an AP Biology to even it out a little.

Yes. He could do that. I think we'll probably just do it at home. Lab would probably be his favorite part though. So, I'll do that too.

I need to look up the MI requirements again. The ones I have just say 3 credits of science and don't list the courses.

So, now we need a biology text/lab. Ideas? We'll probably start next semester as he has a lighter semester at the CC. Thanks!

Should a person have knowledge about the functioning of organisms (the human one included), genetics, cell biology etc? I think so.

If you do not want to bother with the lab, that's one thing. But I think an educated person should know biology and would therefore require it of my kids, even if they did not wish to study it.

:iagree:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

That' is why Biology and A&P are mandatory in my house. My being an RN may influence me a bit but I don't care:lol:

One other reason we take as many different sciences as possible is because of something Dr Wile said in one of his lectures. He said that the fields of science are so different that a child should try them all to make sure that he hates them all before determining that he doesn't like science:lol: A child can hate everything up to Physics and then LOVE Physics, etc. I don't want to skip a major branch of science in case that is one that my kids end up loving.

Here is the link. You don't have to follow these as a homeschool, but these are the new requirements for PS and what you DC will be compared against for enrollment. These just come into effect for graduates of 2011, with them I imagine that some college requirements may change in the next few years.

My DD just finished her frog last week as part of her introductory dissections, her final from Life Science. One of the twins won't let me get rid of it yet, she hasn't finished examining it. :lol:

I think I'd find out what the four year uni's want. Biology is a standard gen-ed for an awful lot of majors. However, when I was in college we had to take two science classes for gen-ed but could choose from amongst biology, chemistry, physics, and astronomy so one could easily graduate without the biology. However, anything even remotely related to medicine is going to require a lot of biology and without any in high school, the classes might be a little demanding depending on the institution.

I took college biology 102 and college physics 201. I was very glad for my high school biology and dissecting because the professor of the biology class was pretty tough and especially for a freshman gen-ed class.

But, it was upsetting for me when we had to "pith" a turtle. This was back in the day when anatomy and physio classes had to insert a needle into the spinal column of a yellow bellied slider or some such other small breed turtle so that the turtle became paralyzed. It would take it a while to die and then it was dissected live so that the class could see it's internal organs still functioning. I LOVE TURTLES! and this stupid gen-ed professor made us join the medical students to watch this...I cried. In retrospect, it was very interesting and probably quite valuable to the medical majors, but awful for the rest of us.

As far as I know, pithing is no longer allowed because many species of turtles are low in number.

Well, I kind of got off course there. Sorry!

Anyway, I would make many inquiries before making the go/no-go decision on biology.

Faith

For the sake of rounding, I'd think biology would be a good idea. If not, perhaps geology or astronomy, or a semester of each? I can't quite wrap my head around not doing biology, with a lab. But then, I minor'ed in bio in college, so I'm biased.

I would personally impose biology. If only to be able to understand your doctor later on in life, when your first born is facing health problem.

Tell him he's taking biology not for himself, but for his future kids!

:iagree: But it would not include pithing anything, or even dissecting it.

My ds is VERY focused on taking classes that relate to what he wants to be when he grows up (propulsion engineer). He's taking classes at our local CC right now and we were planning out which classes he'd take and which we'd do at home. He really does NOT want to study biology. Before going to a 4 year college, he'd have Chem 1 and 2 and Physics 1 and 2 for science (taken at the CC). And, he's probably going to get in up to calculus 3 in math.

We could drop one of the chem or physics at the CC. Or, he could do it at home if it really is necessary.

What do you think?

My Ds is in same situation.. he does not want to take biology at all. So I am not going to make him take it in high school.

Often for a college degree they still have to take a life science course (one semester), not necessarily a full biology course that includes dissecting. Figure I will leave him to suffer through it in college instead. He will complete it probably over a summer semester at CC.

Our CC offers courses that are geared towards non-biology science majors such as: Biological Diversity, Microbes and You, Animals and You, Plants and Society, Human Biology, Introduction to Human Heredity along with the more advanced biology. All of these are accepted in our state for transfer credit in life science requirements along with General Biology I and II and advanced biology courses.

Edited by AnitaMcC

That' is why Biology and A&P are mandatory in my house. My being an RN may influence me a bit but I don't care:lol:

One other reason we take as many different sciences as possible is because of something Dr Wile said in one of his lectures. He said that the fields of science are so different that a child should try them all to make sure that he hates them all before determining that he doesn't like science:lol: A child can hate everything up to Physics and then LOVE Physics, etc. I don't want to skip a major branch of science in case that is one that my kids end up loving.

This is why I encouranged my Dd to do Integrated Science. She will be introduced to chemistry, physics, earth science, astronomy, and life science although she had them all in middle school as well. She liked just getting a little of many sciences and not delve deep in them at this time.

Ds though is interested in most sciences, just not biology (although he doesn't mind microbiology).