Menu

Do all SAT scores go on transcript?

My ds has taken the SAT twice. He raised his reading score by 140 :hurray:, his math went down by 10 and writing stayed the same. Can I put his best scores on his transcript or do I put June and October or do I simply put the best overall test? All the scores are going to his scores from the college board.

Thanks,

Karen

Guest bevirtuous

I believe that would depend on the college(s) he's applying to. There are some schools who will accept the highest score and others who will only average (Taylor University, Indiana, comes to mind). Before he applies, he should ask the admissions ppl at the school which method they use. All of the colleges my daughter applied to (10 total back in '08) accepted the highest score. But many of her homeschooled classmates were asked to list all their scores and then they were averaged.

HTH,

Janet

Karen, I know that PHC takes the best individual scores(the best reading score and the best math scores).

PHC doesn't look at the writing score because they use the 2 essays for evaluating writing.

It depends on the college. Do you prepare a different transcript for the college depending on their requirement?

We put the date of test, and the scores for reading, math, and writing. Then the college chose the highest in each category. I bet it is different for each college, though...

Ds went down 90 points on his second math score, but he got to keep the higher one. He was taking precalculus when the score went down. He did much better taking the test straight out of Algebra 2.

Bear with me here. This is new to me. I was under the impression that the composite scores were the important scores. What does a college do with individual subtest score? Do they refigure a composite using the best scores? Or is it more for testing out of certain courses?

I may have done things completely wrong with ds#1. We simply reported the best composite score - which was his SAT (he only took it once).

But many of her homeschooled classmates were asked to list all their scores and then they were averaged.

HTH,

Janet

I'm shocked by that. I thought that if you chose not to report a test, there was no way a college would have access to it. I'm having my son take tests early, since he's required to take some sort of test every year in Minnesota, and I can't see how they could ask for a very young score that my son took in an early grade???

I have heard that some will take the best reading & the best math score, while others will only accept one complete test, but I'd never heard of a school asking for all tests to be reported. I might try going through a different admissions person at that school, since we found that they were not all the same.

Julie

PHC has you list scores on the application, there's room for two SAT tests and so we did go ahead and put Oct 2010 and June 2010 on that, I guess I'll put October 2010 on the transcript since math is only -10 and everything else is better or the same.

And I realize my op makes no sense toward the end. What I was trying to say was when my ds choose which colleges he wanted scores sent to he chose to send all scores.

Most of the college we have looked at "allow" the child to pick the best score for each section. Which (I suspect) is really more about them than the kid. THEY have to report their numbers to folks like the college board for the range of accepted students, so I suspect their school looks better when they let the kids pick their "best" scores. Everyone wins, eh? :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Which (I suspect) is really more about them than the kid. THEY have to report their numbers to folks like the college board for the range of accepted students, so I suspect their school looks better when they let the kids pick their "best" scores. Everyone wins, eh? :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Interesting thought -- you may have something there :blink:

Cynical, I know.... but the longer I play around with this admissions "thing," the more this whole process is starting to really tweak my knickers.

This whole process should be calm and methodical. The goal? Place the child where he will thrive. I have no lofty illusions about trying to jam the door open to gain admittance or merit aid to a school where my kid is going to drown. WHAT would be the point? That's ridiculous. (I attended a state school for three years and an ivy for two. I GET IT! They are NOT all the same; nor should they be because kids are not all the same, and NEITHER are their goals! Thank GOD for it!) No one should "win" - neither the school, the child, nor the parent - if the school, the child, and the child's goals don't FIT each other. Right?

Then why do I feel like I'm in the middle of the Roman Colosseum? There's a (seemingly) unnecessary undulation of chaos and chance to this whole process. It just shouldn't be! This should be about calm, methodical data sorting accompanied by wise choices. However, the whole thing seems to be adopting the flavor of a "game." It's very unnerving! This shouldn't be; the unnerving-ness shouldn't be! But more importantly: the gameness-flavor SHOULDn"T be!

It's very hard to maintain a sense of calm sobriety when everyone else in the room seems to be wearing a court-jester hat. And it doesn't HELP to know that the jester was typically the wisest man in the room; I WISH I just thought he was an idiot. It would be easier to ignore him instead of curiously glancing at him sideways wondering, "What does he MEAN by that!!!!???!!!" This whole process is driving me NUTS!

The hsing community needs a therapy hotline for moms with October/November Seniors. I feel like I'm trying to pick the "best" 2nd grade math program ALL over again! :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Cynical, I know.... but the longer I play around with this admissions "thing," the more this whole process is starting to really tweak my knickers.

This whole process should be calm and methodical. The goal? Place the child where he will thrive. I have no lofty illusions about trying to jam the door open to gain admittance or merit aid to a school where my kid is going to drown. WHAT would be the point? That's ridiculous. (I attended a state school for three years and an ivy for two. I GET IT! They are NOT all the same; nor should they be because kids are not all the same, and NEITHER are their goals! Thank GOD for it!) No one should "win" - neither the school, the child, nor the parent - if the school, the child, and the child's goals don't FIT each other. Right?

Then why do I feel like I'm in the middle of the Roman Colosseum? There's a (seemingly) unnecessary undulation of chaos and chance to this whole process. It just shouldn't be! This should be about calm, methodical data sorting accompanied by wise choices. However, the whole thing seems to be adopting the flavor of a "game." It's very unnerving! This shouldn't be; the unnerving-ness shouldn't be! But more importantly: the gameness-flavor SHOULDn"T be!

It's very hard to maintain a sense of calm sobriety when everyone else in the room seems to be wearing a court-jester hat. And it doesn't HELP to know that the jester was typically the wisest man in the room; I WISH I just thought he was an idiot. It would be easier to ignore him instead of curiously glancing at him sideways wondering, "What does he MEAN by that!!!!???!!!" This whole process is driving me NUTS!

The hsing community needs a therapy hotline for moms with October/November Seniors. I feel like I'm trying to pick the "best" 2nd grade math program ALL over again! :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Janice,

This is just too funny! :lol: Unfortunately, you've hit the nail on the head. At least you've recognized the system for what it is.

Brenda

I'm shocked by that. I thought that if you chose not to report a test, there was no way a college would have access to it. I'm having my son take tests early, since he's required to take some sort of test every year in Minnesota, and I can't see how they could ask for a very young score that my son took in an early grade???

I have heard that some will take the best reading & the best math score, while others will only accept one complete test, but I'd never heard of a school asking for all tests to be reported. I might try going through a different admissions person at that school, since we found that they were not all the same.

Julie

Some schools do ask for all - none we applied to, one we were going to apply to (ds got in his top choice first so. . . ). Anyway - some ask for all - we were still going to send all that we wanted the school to see, if you get my meaning. There is no way the college can tell you didn't report all. That is college board's policy and on their site - that they won't share scores unless you request it. In my opinion it is up to ds and I to show case him at the schools he applied to - and that meant we really didn't want them to see one particular test date.

Barb

And not all of the brightest students choose to go to an Ivy or are even accepted to an Ivy. Many of those who can't afford it decide they dont want the enormous debt that would come with those schools, for eg. Same with the most successful. Also, while state colleges & Ivies are different, not all State colleges are the same (I think of Rutgers vs some of the others). Also, not every excellent college is an Ivy, or, even more accurately, not every top department in a field is found at in Ivy college or even a top Tier school. There are people who are world renowned in their fields who went to colleges a . outside the US (whether or not at a top college in their country) or who went to of the other colleges in the US. eg take a look at the schools these scientists went to at this place, one of the tops in the world for what they do--I learned about it through a Beautiful BC magazine article. http://www.wildlifegenetics.ca/our_team.htm fwiw, one of those universities is still quite new and if I were a betting person, I'd bet that most people outside of Canada haven't heard of most of these universities, if any.

Edited by Karin

Yup. Yup.

Definitely NOT saying that an ivy is the pinnacle of anything! :001_smile:

I guess that's my point. Weird though that it didn't come through. Ironic thing about trying to make a point, eh?

I only went to one ivy so I can't speak for all of them. BUT I can say that older ds wouldn't enjoy being at the one I went to. Wrong fit in almost every way. Really!

I truly am looking for a good fit. And that means a lot of things have to fit. Not just price or test scores. But the environment really is going to matter for this kid. Size will matter. Location. Professors. Class size. Program focus.

We are shopping for so much more than a name with this young man. He is a non-nonsense kind of guy at the core. Lots of factors that make a lot of schools a bad fit.

I really am trying to be methodically level-headed about this whole process with him. I'm finding that there is little-to-no room for emotional input.

AND please forgive me if I gave the impression that an ivy is better than ____. I don't believe that. Not for a minute. A good fit for some kids. A bad fit for others.

A college doesn't make the kid. The kid grows into who he is going to be. Environment helps with that. Some plants require shade; some need full sun; some need a sliding scale in between. Helping them to ferret out who they are really matters. If I ignore that, I'm building a house of cards. Foolish that.

I can point to a couple of FABULOUS - three actually - profs at the state school I attended that REALLY had a dramatic impact on who I am. I can point directly to NO ONE at Columbia who had an noticeable impact on me; I can't even remember their names. So no, I don't think there are good schools and not-so-good schools. I think there are kids who are ready to engage. Under-engaged, they will fizzle. Over-engaged, they will collapse. Correctly connected? They will thrive. I really believe that!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey.

Yup. Yup.

Definitely NOT saying that an ivy is the pinnacle of anything! :001_smile:

I guess that's my point. Weird though that it didn't come through. Ironic thing about trying to make a point, eh?

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey.

:001_smile: Someone else may have caught onto what you meant better than I did, but I didn't think you meant that an Ivy was the pinnacle. I was just adding.

Frustrating, isn't it???? :001_smile:

Peace to you and yours this morning!

Janice

P.S. Did you change your post? Something about educational goals?

Yes, I kept changing my mind about what I wanted to say. For those of you that missed it, I had mentioned that I've been struggling with educational goals.

we were still going to send all that we wanted the school to see, if you get my meaning. There is no way the college can tell you didn't report all. That is college board's policy and on their site - that they won't share scores unless you request it. In my opinion it is up to ds and I to show case him at the schools he applied to - and that meant we really didn't want them to see one particular test date.

Barb

Barb, That makes sense. I just can't see sending scores that my son is getting now in 9th grade, when he hasn't even finished Geometry!

In general, my experience with my oldest son (public schooled, college grad) was that nothing is set in stone and if you have a student you feel is particularly suited for a certain college (as he was for Colorado School of Mines), it's worth submitting whatever you think will help and talking to whomever you think will help. My son's difficulties actually weren't in getting admitted but were later in his first year (big school scholarships pulled because he had small outside scholarship etc). But I found just how not-set-in-stone things are that are presented to you as unbendable. I also found out how far schools are bending for a multitude of things -- one of the other students who was getting all kinds of rules bent turned out to be a football player (in a school NOT known for sports) who had gotten his girlfriend pregnant and needed money to support her...

I'm getting a little OT :)

Julie