Menu

My ds is so discouraged about not being able to find a job in Chicago...

This is his first semester at Moody Bible Institute. He had a few thousand dollars in savings but not enough to pay for the whole semester. So a couple of churches and we have sent some money to help out. But he can't find a part time job to pay for next semester so he will have to drop out and take the distance learning classes. Hopefully he can return to campus next fall. He is a Bible language major. Oh, well. This economy has ramifications, doesn't it.

My son is washing dishes on campus 8 hours a week. Are there no jobs on campus?

Stinker. Hopefully something will turn up. :grouphug:

Don't know about Moody, but usually the on-campus jobs are for work-study students. That's all tied to your FAFSA, etc.

This is a long shot suggestion...Would he consider a pt job with US Cellular? Their headquarters is in Chicago, and their company stands on upright principles that are (to us) very Christ-honoring. Perhaps they need help in their call centers or sales areas. My dh loves the company because they really, honestly care about their employees. You can do job searches at their web site. Blessings~

Don't know about Moody, but usually the on-campus jobs are for work-study students. That's all tied to your FAFSA, etc.

Right. My son does not have work-study. But often there are jobs available that are non-work-study, the "crummy" jobs, as my son put it. Or sometimes there are not enough work-study students to fill campus positions. Often the good jobs are scooped up by the work study students, then the upper-classmen, and the leftovers are sometimes overlooked, because they are unappealing.

I was not suggesting that the OP's son is lazy or is not a good kid. I am only suggesting that sometimes there are little bits of opportunity in places where we are either unaware to look or unmotivated to look.

It really stinks to not be able to find work. I've been there. Really, really stinks.

Would he be able to find lower cost housing off campus? Maybe he could rent a room with a family and share a couple of meals a day with them, or have kitchen privileges and live on less than $1000 per month. Of course this would need to be close enough to the campus that he doesn't need additional travel expenses, unless he already has a car, and then it wouldn't matter too much. Just a thought. :)

Hello everyone, thank you for your feedback. About the US Cellular, it sounds like a great company to work for but the job offers are for those who have work experience or training. I'll tell my ds about the jobs on other college campuses. That's a good idea.