Menu

How about creative stocking stuffers?

Many are in times of low/lower incomes...

This year I am planning on using our Christmas stocking to "thoughtfully" fill and I am not getting presents outside of that. We are not in dire need, but I have got to get some bills paid and plan for a new van because mine is about to die...

Anyway, I am trying to spend very little, but have a lot of stockings!!

I have:

20yodd, who is expecting in Jan...

18 yodd, who is a broke college student...

17 yods

16yodd

15yods

13yods

12yods

11yods

11yods

I am thinking of cute socks for the girls (Target has some for very little money!) and maybe knit gloves and hats... lip gloss... chocolate... hair "things"

For the boys... hmmm... just not sure... clearance t-shirts??... I think the 4 youngest boys will get zip up footy pajamas that are in camo and are $12.00 each at Target right now... and then some snacks...

I need to be creative because I really want what inside the stocking to have special meaning because they wont have other gifts...

Any ideas?

I think if they were younger it would be easier....

Santa used to bring us food we don't usually get to eat in our stockings. So, for breakfast the kids would get cold cereal and pop tarts. A couple years ago when we realized that our kids didn't know what a Twinkie was, they got those in their stockings. There would also be lunch things - ramen noodles, Kraft Mac n' Cheese, etc. You know - junk food! Cans of soup.

I'm not creative. But, those things were cheap and my kids loved them!!!

My mom (still) puts socks & a toothbrush in everyone's stocking. We have come to count on it and were disappointed the year she didn't (all in our mid-20s by then). My dh usually puts a couple of Nutty Bars in mine (those peanut butter & chocolate wafer things). They fill it up quickly and I never buy them for myself. Fun pens/pencils and shaped sticky-notes are a hit here too.

iTunes gift cards

Target or Walmart gift cards (especially for the college students, mom-to-be)

Movie tickets

Photo album with pics of family photos, favorite vacations or activities, etc.

DVD for each dc with photos of them from birth to today

Heartfelt letter from you to each dc sharing memories, hopes, encouragement

Card game or other small games

DVD of a favorite movie or tv show. I know these can cost a lot, but we buy used DVDS from gohastings.com and you can get many DVDs for $3 - $5. They have all been in good condition and we have not been disappointed with any. My dc have probably purchased 50 - 75 DVDs between them.

Favorite treats they don't usually get - my dc like a box of Poptarts, sugary cereal, mini Hostess donuts or Ding Dongs, packets of hot chocolate, Cappuccino mix, spiced cider, Starbucks instant coffee packages, microwave popcorn, chocolate bars

Nerf balls or Nerf dart guns

Flashlight and batteries

Flash drive (inexpensive if you get 1 - 2 gig size)

earrings

A paperback book

Santa used to bring us food we don't usually get to eat in our stockings. So, for breakfast the kids would get cold cereal and pop tarts. A couple years ago when we realized that our kids didn't know what a Twinkie was, they got those in their stockings. There would also be lunch things - ramen noodles, Kraft Mac n' Cheese, etc. You know - junk food! Cans of soup.

I'm not creative. But, those things were cheap and my kids loved them!!!

Last year my dc got a 12-pack of soda and a special bag of chips--each! They loved having their own stash of junk food.

Cinder

Art supplies could be fun if any of the recipients are artistic, and you can get them pretty cheap. Little journals are fun. Comic books are cheaper than books and are easier to stuff into a stocking. You can buy small lego sets for pretty cheap, and if all your younger boys got them, they could combine and build bigger stuff. (I'm 27, and I still love to play with legos. :) ) If the older kids are into theater, you could give them tickets to a play or concert, or maybe a sporting event, if they like sports.

I'll edit if I think of more.

For the boys... hmmm... just not sure... clearance t-shirts??... I think the 4 youngest boys will get zip up footy pajamas that are in camo and are $12.00 each at Target right now... and then some snacks...

Would your boys really wear footy pj's? Mine refused from about age 5. If yours will, that's great. Just didn't want you to spend and them not use their "big" gift.

Do they like music? A cd would be about $10-15 depending. Cheaper if there is a download option, then you burn it to a cd. Ds1 always gets a WOW Worship CD for the year. Tradition.

Pocketknife

gift cards--iTunes, gas station, Target, Starbucks, etc.

I like the shirt idea. Maybe you can find some shorts on clearance too. I always get dh a new pair of jeans--he likes Wranglers, nice and cheap. :D

I found some plastic shot glasses earlier this summer at Dollar Tree. My dc love them for small snacks like candies or nuts. Dd likes to use one for dressing when she's eating carrots or for ketchup with fries.

I'll be watching this thread for more ideas. :001_smile:

Cinder

Well, my mom still fixes me a stocking :001_smile: (I'm in my 40s now) & my favorite thing is that I get an assortment of magazines -- stuff like Vanity Fair, In Style, Elle, etc.... I'm also thrilled to get a Dell puzzle book in there too, lol. Dh's favorite things to get in a stocking are sweets/candy/cookies, lol.

Lots of these have been suggested already, from fun to practical:

Snacks (including drinks or exotic things they might not normally try/have)

Magazines/Puzzle books/Paperback books

Set of pens or pencils/Crayons/Colored pencils/Markers

Tools or around-the-home items (got my mom some pink duct tape for her stocking last year)

Kitchen tools (for kids or adults who like to cook: spatula, paring knife, chopsticks, etc...)

Lotions/Bath gels/Soaps

Personal care items (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, razors, aspirin, chapstick or lip gloss, etc...)

Silly Bandz

Stickers

Stationery (fun post-it pads, small set of notecards, postage stamps, etc...)

Fruit (clementines fit really well)

Travel-size items (tissues, small shampoo, etc...)

Individual Lego Minifigures

Collector cards (Bella Sara, Club Penguin, Baseball Cards, etc...)

Gift cards (Starbucks, ice cream store, iTunes, bookstore, etc...)

Jewelry (costume or the real thing)

Small/mini perfume or cologne

Bookmarks

USB Flash Drive

DVD or CD

Computer game

Card game (Uno, Apples to Apples now comes in a small pack, etc...)

Small craft kit (my dd loved a foil etching thing we got at Michael's for $1)

Fuzzy gloves or scarf

Sunglasses

ETA: Also, if you get samples of stuff in the mail, some of those might make fun stocking stuffers (esp. on a budget). If you google, there are various websites dedicted to finding & posting offers that are free samples by mail.

Edited by Stacia

I love all these suggestions! There is a great website out there somewhere... "buynothingchristmas" or something along those lines. We love that one, and have gotten tons of great ideas there.

Our teenagers have loved record bowls - both giving and receiving. If you are a real vinyl collector, please don't be offended. Basically, they are melted vinyl records that are formed into the shape of a bowl. Google for directions, and for a pattern to make the sleeve into a gift box. Those were a big hit one year.

My teen boy also loves Altoids - he uses the tins for many, many projects. Oh! And that reminds me - one of his favorite gifts has been Make Magazine, where he finds the project ideas.

Editing to add this great list: http://www.buynothingchristmas.org/alternatives/

Edited by Spryte

Some ideas I've used before:

crayons

playing cards (regular decks, memory, Go Fish, or Uno type)

book marks

colored pencils

nail polish

hair things

socks

lip gloss or chap stick

favorite candy

I saw some really neat rulers in Office Max recently that had a 3D effect

guitar picks (for guitar player obviously)

pocket or travel size lotions

pocket size calendar and/or note pad

handkerchiefs

crafty things: beads, ribbons, string, pipe cleaners, stamps, scrapbook things

magnifying glass

slinky

yo-yo

Hexbug Nano (dd loves these!)

favorite box of tea (Celestial Seasonings or some such)

nail files (Walmart had some pretty ones with snowflakes last year)

key chain decoration

mittens

hats

scarves

small size screwdriver sets (I'm always needing one of these for some toy or clock or some such that needs a super tiny screwdriver)

dd wants a Rubik's cube this year

cell phone cover

marbles

jacks game

travel size games

altoids mints

tic tacs

chewing gum

lifesavers

popcorn

sunglasses

We've done coupons for days off, evening with mom, game night, etc. Pop is expected here. I put nail polish in fun colors, cotton balls and remover in my older girls. The boys get razors and shaving cream. I'm trying to do 'kits' this year. Seven yo will get a 'beauty kit'. It's tons of free samples I've gotten plus clear lip gloss and a new brush and hair thingies. My 9yo is getting a 'wilderness kit'. An inexpensive knife, compass, waterproof match container and reusable water bottle. You could do a 'make jewelry kit' or a 'scientist kit' or whatever they like. My 3yo may get a 'Princess Kit'. My older kids like gift cards and coupons for homemade treats. I also made a picture album (small wallet size one) of each of their lives birth to 18, funny pictures not portraits. They all liked that.

Both stocking and Christmas in general ideas:

I like to think of things we'll be buying anyway.

Batteries! ~ ideally rechargable ones, with a charger if they don't already have one.

Origami paper - usually comes with instructions

Art supplies (pencils, small paint kit, etc.)

Jump drive - inexpensive on eBay.

New socks

New undies

Ties for the boys (thrifted)

Travel-sized toiletries

Pens, notepads - choose cute/interesting ones

Calculator

Other school/office supplies

Chapstick

Cosmetics

Hair pretties

Toothbrush

Watch

Tote bag

Beef stick/beef jerky

Shoes

Tights (ballet, or winter ones with a fun design)

Magazine based on the person's interests

Soduku or other puzzle book

Lego - buy a second-hand bag of pieces and a few mini-fig sets and make your own "kit"

Small game items - card games, dice, etc.

Dover does those $1 books of mazes, paper dolls, coloring pages, temporary tattoos.

Brain teasers

Craft or sewing items (glitter glue, seam ripper, etc.) - you could make a sewing kit to fit in a decorated Altoids box.

Stuffed animal

Pirate flag or other imagination type toy

Tools, flashlight, pocket knife

Guitar picks

Great suggestions above. :) One year my husband picked up all kinds of perfume, lotion and soap samples at the mall and put them in my stocking.

Just a money-saving tip: You can buy gift sets of name brand items and then break it up and put one thing in each stocking. I do that with Burt's Bee's lip balms. They're kind of expensive, so I don't buy them all the time. (Mine from last Christmas has lasted all year, and yes, I put stuffing in my own stocking. :D)

Definitely scour your local Goodwill and consignment shops. Last year I found this tiny little music box for my daughter that is just adorable. It pulls out on one side like a little drawer and it has a tiny frozen pond with ice skaters who pop up and spin to the music.

A practical but nice stocking stuffer for those on thier own is homemade dish rags. They take about 15 minutes to knit up in a nice cotton from Stuff Mart and are so much nicer than the store bought. You can google and come up with tons of patterns.

Also, of course, knitted hats, scarves, socks.

And felted items from repurposed old wool sweaters/socks.

My son loves the wool sock packs from Sams ($10 for 3 pr).

Guest TheBugsMom

For my older boys (20 18,and 14) I give them personal items such as tooth brush, new razor, new comb. I also add in some fun things, fireworks (for new years), yoyo, new pen, a gadget of some sort, batteries, things like this.

I usually spend about $15-$20/boy for stocking things.

Yes, I know for sure that 2 of the boys would really, really like footy pajamas... they ask for them when they see them, but they usually don't have their sizes and I say, "no, you're not a toddler anymore!" Now I see their size and it's camo fabric, so, yeah, two of the boys will be very happy with them!! The other two I will still think about...

I love all the ideas! Thanks so much!

20yodd, who is expecting in Jan... I would think of something for herself to help make herself feel nice. Like a gift card for a pedicure or manicure and an IOU for a couple of hours of babysitting while she goes and indulges herself. Or may be a nice relaxing CD and one of those new scent candles that aren't candle but lights and you put the square piece of paper on them and then they give off a scent (sorry can't think of their name) A pocket calendar so she can keep up with all the appointments she's going to have. I would definitely get something for her to feel special since her child is probably already getting a lot of attention. She needs something to help her fell special again.

18 yodd, who is a broke college student...If he's like mine they are always hungry and college food is usually horrible so I'd get him a gift certificate for a nice restaurant that he likes

17 yods... Movie tickets (where we live you can get gift card that can be used for that.) If he loves music a nice CD. Of course at that age they always love cash.

16yodd... some nice perfume or some nice body wash and lotions (my dd love bath and body works and around Christmas they usually have lots of specials, they also usually have clearance sections) Posters for her wall of her favorite characters, star or just pretty scenes that she might like. A well made journal might be nice. If you're Christian maybe you can find her one with bible verses in it.

15yods... I'd give him some coupons for get out of chore night that he could use once or twice a week. This is a harder age to gift to. There so finicky. I'd probably go with something I know he would like

13yods...although it would probably create havoc in your house I'd probably go with nerf guns etc for these four. You might even find that all your kids want one. you can make their use inside off limits if you need to. Your husband might help make them a maze that they can go through outside

12yods

11yods...If you don't like the idea of nerf guns you might could go with the smaller lego sets with these two

Favorite books are good ideas for them as well. Both my kids have several books that they love to read over and over.

Yes, I know for sure that 2 of the boys would really, really like footy pajamas... they ask for them when they see them, but they usually don't have their sizes and I say, "no, you're not a toddler anymore!" Now I see their size and it's camo fabric, so, yeah, two of the boys will be very happy with them!! The other two I will still think about...

I love all the ideas! Thanks so much!

Sounds like it will be a fun and happy Christmas morning. :001_smile:

Cinder