Menu

What is Afterschooling?

it is having a child attend public or private school and then after school you decide to work with them (homeschool) on subjects that are important to you that have nothing to do with what they are learning about in school. This afterschooling would be in addition to whatever homework the child would have.

I don't think you could easily afterschool a child who had 3+ hours of homework. Mine usually have very little and that leaves time for afterschooling as well as free time. I have also made a deal with the teacher in the past to excuse my child from hw because we afterschool the same subject. I did this in math when we ASed the level he was really at which was ahead of grade level. The teacher couldn't provide that level but she sympathized and we made a deal. He brought in his Singapore work periodically for her to see and she excused him from math homework.

Some kids are better at others at getting work done at school too. I'm lucky my oldest is good at it. His friends have a lot of homework but he buckles down and gets it done at school. My 6 year old is another story though. He has trouble with working independently at school so not as much gets done and more comes home.

Well when my girls were in PS, they had a minimum of 3 hours of homework per night and on weekends. How on earth do you fit afterschooling in? BTW, this is one reason we took them out of PS

My kids don't have that kind of homework. If they did, I would rebel.

Also, much of what we do is add-on to what they do at school. We just take what they have to do above and beyond. For example, my son did a report on the attack on Pearl Harbor. We required more sources than the teacher did. We required different types of sources, such as a WWII vet who was at stationed at Pearl Harbor. (My dad knew one from church.)

My ds is in 3rd grade and since the ps pushes the "no child left behind" act which in reality leaves every child behind , we end up doing extras with him. We do cursive, geography, history, science, and starting Latin this summer. We never push him, but rather do fun things with him....lots of crazy science experiments in the kitchen!! With Latin, the whole family plans on learning it so it will be an adventure! We do extra work in math because that is often taught so fast that he misses a lot. since both my husband and I are teachers it comes naturally. we love teaching.

My kids don't have that kind of homework. If they did, I would rebel.

Same here. My neice is a 4th grade ps teacher and she does not assign homework. The students only have to take work home if they do not finish it in class. She allows them plenty of time because she says if she can't teach them in 7+ hours and allow for them to complete their assignments, she must be doing something wrong.

The older teachers are always making fun of her for caring too much about whether her students actually grasp the material. She hates "No Child Left Behind" and has even gone against her instructions from the principal to only "teach what they need to know for the tests". She has introduced 2nd & 3rd grade "catch up" work to ensure that her children make up for deficiencies she has discovered in nearly every student.

She's in the principal's office more than the children. :001_smile:

(sorry if I digress, it's early and my brain isn't awake)

I did after-schooling with my oldest while he was in ps from k-6th grade. We took some lessons that he had learned in class and extended them. I basically retaught many subjects since he didn't grasp them entirely in the ps setting anyway. Some lessons were new also. We schooled throughout the summer also.

This is a new term for me.....what is it?

Puzzled!?

Our dc are going to Slovak schools so we need to suppliment LA and anything else that may be missing. School here is from 8-1 which isn't that time consuming. I so look forward to returning to hsing though.

supplementing

enriching.....

the current curriculum of your childrens' school because

1) you don't feel your school's education is adequate enough

2) your kids dont feel challenged enough

3)your kids need additional review than the school has provided

4)your school's math and science program is weak

5)you want to learn with your kids