Menu

Attention Mr. TV Decorator Guy with the weird hair:

1. By definition, a *comfortor* just covers the top and side of a mattress. When you want something that comes all the way to the floor so you don't need a dust ruffle, you use a *bedspread.* You don't "make the comfortor extra long."

2. It's a cornice. It isn't a "cornice box." (I'll bet you say "tuna fish," too, as if there's some other creature other than a fish which is also called "tuna," like "tuna dog," or "tuna pig.")

3. You put a candle in a *candlestick,* not a candle "holder." And you don't put a *candlestick* on a *candle holder.*

That is all.

Here again, I have no idea who "it" is. :confused: I guess channel surfing for the decorator guy with the weird hair is always an option. However, he doesn't sound all that bright, and I'm short on time.:D

It's Lee Snyders (sp??) on Design on a Dime, which is on HGTV. His designs aren't bad, but his banter is sometimes just annoying.

I wanted to add that today was a repeat of a "lanai" he designed...a "real" lanai, says he, because there are doors from the living/family room *and* the bedroom onto it. I could've sworn that a "real" lanai would be what you'd find in Hawaii. Of course, I am not a Professional Designer, so what do I know?? :rolleyes:

Now see, I must have grown up in the same place as Mr. TV Decorator Guy with the weird hair. :)

1. I learned a comforter was a large, fluffy blanket thingee that has light stuffing between 2 sides. A bedspread is just one piece of material with no stuffing. The bedspread is also decorative so that it is designed to lay atop the bed. A blanket is also one piece but isn't decorative so it's put under the comforter or bedspread for extra warmth.

2a. No clue on this one. I had never heard this term until I started watching decorating shows. My family has only had shades, blinds, curtains or drapes.

2b. I use the word fish after tuna. I can't imagine saying just tuna sandwich. It's like saying a roast sandwich, instead of roast beef. :)

3. A candlestick is a very tall, skinny candle. The thing it is stuck into is a candle holder. Candles that are not tall and skinny are just candles.

Now see, I must have grown up in the same place as Mr. TV Decorator Guy with the weird hair. :)

1. I learned a comforter was a large, fluffy blanket thingee that has light stuffing between 2 sides. A bedspread is just one piece of material with no stuffing. The bedspread is also decorative so that it is designed to lay atop the bed. A blanket is also one piece but isn't decorative so it's put under the comforter or bedspread for extra warmth.

2a. No clue on this one. I had never heard this term until I started watching decorating shows. My family has only had shades, blinds, curtains or drapes.

2b. I use the word fish after tuna. I can't imagine saying just tuna sandwich. It's like saying a roast sandwich, instead of roast beef. :)

3. A candlestick is a very tall, skinny candle. The thing it is stuck into is a candle holder. Candles that are not tall and skinny are just candles.

I grew up where you did. :D

Oh, I'm right with you....up until the candle. Tall, skinny candles are called tapers in my neck o' the woods. I'm not sure if they should be called that or not, but taper candles (probably redundant also, but there ya go) fit into candlesticks. The thing Jack jumped over. Although, when I picture Jack jumping, it would never occur to me to picture just the candlestick without a taper. A lit taper.

but I learned some new things when I grew up:D

There are other things which can be roasted, not just beef--chicken or pork, for example--whereas there's only one critter that is tuna--fish.:)

Well, so have I Ellie. These are just not some of them. I don't know anyone who thinks the way you do about those words. I guess I should have kept my comments to myself. Sorry. :(

I'm sorry--I didn't mean to sound snarky or anything. Please forgive me (((Night Elf))))

I'm not sure if they should be called that or not, but taper candles (probably redundant also, but there ya go) fit into candlesticks. The thing Jack jumped over. Although, when I picture Jack jumping, it would never occur to me to picture just the candlestick without a taper. A lit taper.

The only reason I know candlestick is from playing Clue. As in Ms. Scarlett, in the Conservatory, with the Candlestick.

Was this a commercial? Geeze...I don't like commercials.

It's from several different episodes of Design on a Dime I've seen over the last couple of years. I just had enough of it today, when he talked about the patio being a "true lanai." I had to vent somewhere, lol.

There's another designer, Kristin Somebody, who ocassionally says the same kind of things, but Lee annoys me more:rolleyes: