Menu

My baby's eye color won't stay grey, right?

Baby girl's eyes were grey when she was born. My 7 yo DD is the only other child born with grey eyes, but they changed within a few weeks to a light brown color. BG's eyes often look blue or green depending on the background The other children were born with dark brown eyes. Almost everyone who meets her comments on her eye color, hoping that they'll be blue or green. :rolleyes:One stranger rudely joked whether DH was really her father. We both have brown eyes. Both our fathers have blue or green eyes. I know statistically they will probably be brown. I just want to know when they'll change.

And what's wrong with grey eyes! :D

Jean (with the grey eyes which change color a bit depending on what I'm wearing).

Absolutely nothing is wrong with grey eyes. I'm just getting tired of the comments. I think my baby's eyes are beautiful. I've never known anyone with grey eyes.

Edited by extendedforecast

I know there's a specific age when eye color is considered permanent, but I don't remember what it is. My mother insists my eyes were blue until I was a preschooler. My 12yo's eyes are pretty gray, leaning toward brown. My youngest's are kind of gray, leaning toward blue. I don't know what to call either of them, lol.

ETA: My ex, dh, and I all have brown eyes. I do have a sister and a brother with blue eyes though, so there's a wonky gene hanging around somewhere.

For the longest time, my youngest had these weird no-color eyes. They weren't quite grey, or hazel, or brown--you just couldn't describe them. Now they are boring brown and I miss those no-color eyes. (I have brown eyes myself, no insult is intended by boring. They're just not as interesting as they used to be.)

All three of our boys are blond hair (with one being a darker blond/light brown) and BLUE eyes. My husband has true black hair and brown eyes and I have medium brown hair and brown eyes. :) I get comments very, very seldom but it's always fun when I do. It's a fun joke.

Funny enough though, the 14yr old and 4 yr old were both born with a head full of black hair and a deep olive complexion. Now both blond, light colored and blue eyes. It's crazy. They all look like they belong to my closest friend more than me. :)

My neice has grey eyes and I think they are beautiful. My sister (her mom) has blue eyes and her dad has brown. Her uncle (my BIL's brother) has grey eyes though.

My dh and I have brown eyes and all of our children except one do as well, except one. My oldest son has very blue eyes. Eye color is a funny thing!

I think eye color is typically permanent around 6 months. That's not to say every baby follows that pattern, though. My friend's little sister had very blue eyes until she was three, and then they turned brown.

I know about the "no color" eyes, my husband has them. They're blue, brown and green. Even the girl at the DMV didn't know what color to put on his driver's license, so he picked blue. I have blue-gray eyes and our daughter has blue eyes with brown around the pupil and a darker circle of blue in the bottom of her iris, which you can only see if she's pensive or sad. I find it interesting, and I kind of wish we had more kids so I could see how their eyes would have turned out.

I'd say if they're grey now, they probably aren't going to turn brown. My brown-eyed DS had very deep blue eyes at birth (like blueberries) that quickly darkened while my 2 girls who ended up with blue had grey-blue that became bluer until about their 1st birthday.

It sounds like you and your DH are both carriers, so that's a 25% chance of blue for your child.

Both my husband and I have blue eyes. My son's eyes are very blue and my daughter's eyes were blue until sometime in the preschool years. Then they changed to a greenish color. Nothing wrong with green eyes, but I was so upset because hers had always been such a pretty blue. My FIL and SIL both have this green eye color and I think that another reason why it aggravated me so much.

On the other hand, my mom has brown eyes and my dad has blue. All three of us wound up with blue eyes, even though brown is usually the dominant color.

Lisa

I have four kids, two of whom have brown eyes, one of whom has hazel eyes and one of whom has blue/grey eyes. Hubby has hazel eyes. Mine are brown. With the blue eyed child, his eyes looked different even in the hospital from my brown eyed kids. I suspected then that they would be blue. We have blue eyes on both sides of the family. I don't recall exactly when they changed, though.

And what's wrong with grey eyes! :D

Jean (with the grey eyes which change color a bit depending on what I'm wearing).

:iagree:this is me too. Eye color doesn't have to change. My boys were both born with beautiful blue eyes and everyone wondered if they'd change too, and just asked "why?" Despite Dad being very dark--brown hair and brown eyes--our boys are as blond hair and blue eyed as can be.

I can never identify the color of my, or my kids', eyes. They "seem" to change constantly.

Eye color can change in to adulthood. My eyes used to be bluish grey - until I turned about 18 or 19. Now they're a weird hybrid of blue/grey/hazel. My cousin had the palest, sky-blue eyes - they were striking! When he hit the same 18/19 yo mark, they changed to a muddy hazel color. It was the most bizarre thing.

DH has very dark blue eyes. The kids have the weird eye color thing going on like me. Everyone who tries to ID the color of our eyes says something different - and they'll ID a different color on the same kid on a different day.

My dd is 26 mos and her eyes are this strange mud brown color with dark blue around the edge. The last visit to the pediatrician she was struggling how to describe dd's eye color and I said "mud" and she paused then laughed and said "yeah, that pretty much sums it up." I keep hoping they'll change, they were a beautiful deep blue color that has steadily turned to the strange mud color. Her 10yo brother has beautiful hazel eyes that keep lightening up, they were originally brown then morphed to a brownish green hazel and now are steadily turning to a lovely light green hazel like my mom's. Our 9yo has the most gorgeous clear brown eyes, I keep saying girls are going to love his eyes plus he has long dark eyelashes.

My brother had white-blond hair and bright blue eyes until he hit high school. Around 16 his hair turned brown and his eyes turned brown. My hair is blond with red and has turned a darker blond from the white-blond it was as child, but my eyes have stayed turquoise blue with flecks of green. My mom says my eyes are the exact shade of blue her father's eyes were and I'm the only one in the family (including great-grandchildren) with blue eyes the color of Grandpa's. My mom has light green hazel eyes and my dad has light blue eyes.

DS's eyes were gray until he was about a year old. They changed over time until they settled on hazel.

Some good friends of ours both have dark, dark brown eyes. They had always told us that it would be possible for them to have a blue-eyed child because they had family members with them. They have 3 children. The oldest two have their dark brown eyes. The third has blue eyes. You just never know!

Eyes can certainly change late. But two brown eyed parents certainly doesn't determine eye color. My husband and I have brown eyes. I have a mother with blue eyes but both my husband's parents have brown eyes. I never dreamed I'd have a blue eyed child! Our little bright blue eyed six year old is a result of a blue eyed grandma on one side and great grandma on the other. When you get into color variations like greens and greys the genetics gets more complicated to boot.

I think grey eyes are pretty!

I know what you mean about the comments. I have light brown hair and blue eyes, my dh has dark brown hair and brown eyes. My 2 youngest kids are an obvious mix of the 2 of us. But my oldest has red hair and blue-green eyes. She has spent her entire 16 years hearing comments and questions about her different appearance. She even wonders if she was switched at birth sometimes!

People can be so rude!

I know what you mean about the comments. I have light brown hair and blue eyes, my dh has dark brown hair and brown eyes. My 2 youngest kids are an obvious mix of the 2 of us. But my oldest has red hair and blue-green eyes. She has spent her entire 16 years hearing comments and questions about her different appearance. She even wonders if she was switched at birth sometimes!

People can be so rude!

Re. the comments. I would pull myself up to my fullest possible height, look them in the eye and say "Did you insinuate what I think you did?" I mean, really. :glare:

On the comments:

Wolf is Metis (bMom was First Nations, bDad Norwegian/Swedish). He resembles his First Nations heritage. I'm the typical English/Dutch/First Nations mishmash, Caucasian colouring.

Tazzie was a blue eyed blonde as a baby-toddler. I had a stranger at Diva's school, who had met Wolf point blank accuse me of cheating on him. His afamily made a huge freak out over Tazzie's colouring, to the point I offered to draw them a Mendelian Chart to shut them up. "Tazzie shouldn't be so light when Wolf is so dark!" It was insane.

His one set of cousins were so incensed when they heard about it that they called the others involved and flipped. Colouring aside, Tazzie has his Daddy's bone structure, everything. Now that his hair's darkened, we get few comments. Princess, with her brown eyes and tanned look to her skin hasn't garnered any comments at all.

People are rude and ignorant. We knew, due to family history, that our children's looks could be anything from a blue eyed blonde to an even darker complexion that Wolf. Genetics are a wonky thing.

My daughter had almost violet (i guess they were very dark blue) eyes when she was born. They changed when she was a toddler to light blue and when she was 5 they went green. At the moment they are a pale greeny/grey around the outside with towards stronger green in the centre. I haven't a clue what colour they will end up.

I have green eyes (and red hair & pale freckly skin) and her dad has bright blue eyes (and a Mediterranean olive complexion and black hair).

Wow, it looks like there is no way to tell what color her eyes will end up. FWIW, I would love for them to stay grey; they are beautiful, especially when you catch them in the light. When I wrote the title to this thread, I was thinking it was inevitable that they would end up brown, and so to get past the comments, I wanted them to hurry up and change. My dad's eyes are like what a lot of you have described. He was born with green eyes that have changed over the years to hazel and back to green. His sister has green eyes as well, yet their parents both had dark brown eyes. They got their eye color from their grandfather, who had blue eyes. DH has light brown eyes, and has two siblings and a brother with blue eyes.

I'd say if they're grey now, they probably aren't going to turn brown. My brown-eyed DS had very deep blue eyes at birth (like blueberries) that quickly darkened while my 2 girls who ended up with blue had grey-blue that became bluer until about their 1st birthday.

It sounds like you and your DH are both carriers, so that's a 25% chance of blue for your child.

I can imagine your DS's eyes were unique and beautiful, being a deep blue. My DD's eyes were a light grey, almost blue for weeks, then slowly got darker grey. They were a pretty shade of amber during her toddler years. Now they are a light brown color.

All three of our boys are blond hair (with one being a darker blond/light brown) and BLUE eyes. My husband has true black hair and brown eyes and I have medium brown hair and brown eyes. :) I get comments very, very seldom but it's always fun when I do. It's a fun joke.

Funny enough though, the 14yr old and 4 yr old were both born with a head full of black hair and a deep olive complexion. Now both blond, light colored and blue eyes. It's crazy. They all look like they belong to my closest friend more than me. :)

That's interesting about their complexions. Our kids' complexions range from very olive to very light. All were very red-colored as newborns, except for this baby; she was very pale from the beginning. Also, they all had lots of hair, and this girl is bald. It's so interesting how genetics play out, especially when the parents are of different heritage.

Yeah, what Jean said!

:D

My eyes are a light blue grey color. I don't like them (I *am a woman, after all, LOL) but I've had people comment on how unsual and nice the color is.

I didn't mean to put my foot in my mouth, lol. I was just thinking that with DH and I having brown eyes, and four of our children having brown eyes, this baby would also have brown eyes. I didn't even know it was possible to have grey eyes past babyhood, lol. As usual, I have learned something new at TWTM forums.

My dd is 26 mos and her eyes are this strange mud brown color with dark blue around the edge. The last visit to the pediatrician she was struggling how to describe dd's eye color and I said "mud" and she paused then laughed and said "yeah, that pretty much sums it up." I keep hoping they'll change, they were a beautiful deep blue color that has steadily turned to the strange mud color. Her 10yo brother has beautiful hazel eyes that keep lightening up, they were originally brown then morphed to a brownish green hazel and now are steadily turning to a lovely light green hazel like my mom's. Our 9yo has the most gorgeous clear brown eyes, I keep saying girls are going to love his eyes plus he has long dark eyelashes.

My brother had white-blond hair and bright blue eyes until he hit high school. Around 16 his hair turned brown and his eyes turned brown. My hair is blond with red and has turned a darker blond from the white-blond it was as child, but my eyes have stayed turquoise blue with flecks of green. My mom says my eyes are the exact shade of blue her father's eyes were and I'm the only one in the family (including great-grandchildren) with blue eyes the color of Grandpa's. My mom has light green hazel eyes and my dad has light blue eyes.

I know exactly the color you are describing. When baby girl wears yellow, they appear this color.

Yep, genetics are wonky. My now hazel-eyed mother had steel grey eyes until she was in second grade (7). I used to have DARK-brown eyes, but have changed in my adulthood to a light hazel-green. My ds7 had dark grey eyes until he was nearing 4. They are now hazel. My little ds1 is nearing 2, and still has that color of dark blue/brown that could turn into anything ;) So, at least in some people, eye color keeps changing --even in adulthood! :)