Menu

What is the worst educational/HS item you've ever bought?

MamaHappy

We've tried a lot of klunkers through the years. Here's just a sampling:

Fast Track Action Reading ~ oh my goodness......worst thing in the history of learning to read!! They teach almost all of the letters with the "uh" sound at the end (tuh, zuh, etc). I'll still never forget when the lady on the cassette tape read off some letter sounds and then said, "these letters don't really have the uh sound at the end, but you can't hear me if I don't say them that way, right?" So to sound out "cat" she would say, ""Cuh........ah........tuh. Cuh....ah.....tuh. Cuh..ah..tuh. Cat!!! That's right!" :ack2:

Phonetic Zoo ~ hated it.

Writing Strands ~ day one: write "the pencil in on the table". Day two: write "the yellow pencil is on the table". Day three: write "the yellow pencil is on the big table." :tongue_smilie:

Professor B Math ~ too strict about not moving on until the child could instantly say the answer....my kid never could.

Right Brain Phonics ~ I still don't understand this at all. :confused:

Queens Language Lessons for Little Ones ~ some lessons literally took 10 seconds (plus I *hate* it when a publisher says the book is X amount of pages long but the backside of every page is blank yet still numbered. Pet peeve!). :glare:

Times Tables the Fun Way ~ changes what the numbers represent from story to story which leads to confusion.

Times Tales ~ stories are too confusing.

ETC Online ~ too many frustrating glitches......by the time we could get it working right the subscription ran out.

This is too funny cuh....ah..tuh

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Private school K tuition! All we learned in DD's year in private school was that we needed to homeschool.

:iagree: Same here with that one.

Misses for us :

Powerglide ( HUGE waste of money)

Alpha Omega Lifepacs. I have so wanted to like these, but they just don't seem to work for us.

Calvert from 3rd grade up. The only thing I did like is their literature selections. And Child's History of the World. Other then that, overpriced waste

I would have said 100 EZ lessons. My oldest daughter hated it with the heat of a thousand suns. But it worked great for my middle two, and not so much for my youngest.

BJU Math 6. We loved BJU until we hit this level. Not sure why either.

K12 past 4th grade. Love it for grades K-4. Not so much after this. But then we have used it with a cyberschool so that may make a huge difference too.

Saxon for my oldest daughter. Again she hates it with the heat of a thousand suns. My middle two do fine with it at their private school they are at right now. But that will change when they come home after this year. Definitely will be using CLE with them.

MUS , nope. Way to dry and boring for us.

Edited by TracyR

Luckily we bought this one used, but it was one of the pricier flops...

SSRW

How this is supposed to be good for wiggly kids is beyond me. My DD hated the music. It was sung way too fast for a young one to sing along. The "games" were basically bingo type and very repetitive. The readers had some stories, but were also a long list of words. And then the worksheet pages had the child writing 20+ words.

I am also regretting how much I spent on Discovery Education this year. We rarely use it. I do think it is a great service, but not for the price. I wish I would have waited to order through G3 instead of going through HSBC.

I haven't officially started so I don't have a laundry list yet...

When we were HSng DS1 for prek though BFIAR was a bust although we enjoyed the book selections.

Slow & Steady Get Me Ready was great for what it was, but none of those activities were really anything I couldn't have found anywhere else. They just packaged it up really nice in a book and charged $$ for it. I do really enjoy (and still use frequently) both the Toddler and the Preschooler Busy Books.

Honestly, IMO the best preschool curriculum ever is just lots of read alouds, outdoor play and exploration and a craft table where they can go to town with their creations.

The only thing I can think of this early on for me is Spell to Write and Read. If I wanted to use the method I didn't need to spend so much money or make it so complicated. Well, Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready, too. Totally didn't fit me and I should have known better.

I tell everyone who will listen to me how much I hated Power Glide Elementary Spanish. If I owned the company, I would be EMBARRASSED to sell that to one single family! Never mind hawking it at every convention!

That's the problem with a lot of these bad programs. You know they're so bad it's hard in good conscience to sell it another hser.:001_smile: And I've got quite a few on my shelves.......

• 4 weeks later...

I know we can't use everything, and I have listened to too many people and their opinions of what is the best.. and wasted too many hours to count trying to force my kids to like : Saxon Math, Math IT, AND Wrap ups, along with Multiplication Memorizer kit.

100 ez lessons were dry, but I was desperate and went through it all with my 2 oldest and did see great results.

Just because something is dry, it may stick. I have been disappointed in myself for not sticking with some things very long. And have accepted that there may be just a few pages out of a book that inspire me to be a better mom.

And what works for one child may not work for another. Now I am trying new things: Singapore Math, TOG2, and Alphabet Island: Along with MUS some and 100 EZ lessons some. I find that sometimes it takes a little excitement or rewarding from me to get a child excited.

I did not like SL World History, and my dd did not like to read the books, but I made her read some, and I honestly felt overwhelmed with the IG's.

Still, other people love what I don't. I am learning that it is trial and error, and that I should not spend a fortune on 1 curriculum unless I know I can use some of it or sell it.

And I know that we have to make our kids do hard things, because life is hard.

Still, there has to be a balance and I ask for feedback, take mental notes, see what is sticking, assess problems, and pray for solutions, as well as ask on here.

I appreciate the feedback. I have to admit, I look at the size of the family before I listen anymore, and the age of the oldest child. I have to see how time consuming something is, and look at my schedule in a realistic way. I never know how anything will really work until I try it out. :grouphug: I am a sucker for a sale, and for tons of positive feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad I opened this thread and read the WHOLE thing - learned a lot! I have not idea what about 80% of the abbreviations are though... yikes!

I am concerned though as there appears to be no great math program - I think I've seen them all on here numerous times :001_smile: LOL!

100EZ Lessons

I tried it with DS and got to Lesson 2 before he started crying when he saw the book, put it away for a while thinking he wasn't ready yet. I pulled it out a week ago and we made it to Lesson 3 before he started crying. I'm saving it for DD, maybe it'll work for her.

HWT brought so many tears and it was only the first book. DS hated it. I liked it and still don't know why he didn't.

Edited by nertsmommy

I am glad I opened this thread and read the WHOLE thing - learned a lot! I have not idea what about 80% of the abbreviations are though... yikes!

I am concerned though as there appears to be no great math program - I think I've seen them all on here numerous times :001_smile: LOL!

Here you go. There are a lot of great math threads on here that might help you find what you are looking for. :)

As for the OP, SOS Health. Blech! :ack2:

Maizeydaizey, look here. I still get stumped by a few abbreciations too.

Don't worry about math. For every person who hates one program (and this is true not only about math), another loves it. ;)

There are many people who love their math programs including me. You just need to find a program (or combination of math programs) that works for the way you teach and for the way your kids learn.

MUS Primer - We skipped this as it was incredibly boring and unchallenging. The rest of the series was a hit for my oldest DD.

100EZ Lessons - We tried using this with my oldest 7 years and we both hated it. I hated the scripted lessons; she hated that it was so boring.

Apologia Jump In Writing program - **yawn** IEW is a much better fit for my oldest DD.

We purchased Discovery Streaming subscription specifically for:

Discovery Streaming EducaciĂƒÂ³n EspaĂƒÂ±ola - My oldest DD says it gives her nightmares. She can be a bit melodramatic but her eyes do glaze over every time we watch a video. She's retaining nothing.

Discovery Streaming Elementary Spanish - We are on the fence with this one for my littles. I'm not overly fond of SeĂƒÂ±ora Cana for Grade 1. The young ones seem to like it but they don't miss it if we miss a day.

:001_smile:

I haven't seen my duds, so thought I'd throw them up:

Little Passports: I loved the concept, my kids loved getting mail every month and finding the country on the map, (the map of the world they send is a favorite around here) but the actual contents of the packages were lacking. There was a short story, a worksheet with activities that my kids never wanted to do, and usually a toy or something dollar-store quality related to the country. That was it. If I'd been more dedicated or had a library available, I would have done a few country lessons about animals there, culture, food, etc., but that was why I ordered it in the first place. :glare:

Click 'N' Kids Spelling: My oldest used the reading program to learn to read, and begged me to get the spelling one. I picked it up off of HSBC and, yikes, it's so not worth it! It's basically a bunch of five minute lessons that introduce a list of spelling words. There's very little practice, which meant I had to write down the spelling word list and have him work on them before he went on to the next lesson and got a new list. It would have been far cheaper for me to just write up a list of words for him to do...

Oh, and 100EZ lessons I bought after my youngest decided he didn't want to do a reading program on the computer (rejected both Click 'N' Kids and Reading Eggs). He likes that book far more than the others, although it took a few lessons before I understood what the method was. Until that point, I thought it was sort of dumb. He's on lesson 30, though, and doing very well with it, so I'm glad I stuck with it!

A Child's History of the World--so many inaccuracies for us, but I know others rave about it, 100EZ lessons--didn't work for us at all, Horizons math, Singapore/primary mathematics, GWG, Writing Strands, and I'm sure there are more I can't think of now!

These aren't bad curricula, they just aren't for us.

Oh, dear! Glad you sent them (A & O Lifepaks) back. Everyone I've ever talked to who has used them tells me they are rife with error. Our local parent-teacher store used to try to push them on new homeschoolers, telling them that they were the "only approved curriculum" for our county (not true at all). I feel so sorry to think of all the poor newbies who got sucked into using them....

I am a newbie currently using them for 2nd grade!!! :thumbdown: They were recommended by our local home school store. :glare: We're actually speeding up and I barely touch the Teacher's manual. Ridiculous.

WWE: Brought DS to tears every time. Dumped it.

R&S English 4: DH and DS couldn't manage this one. Too teacher intensive for DH and DS had too much trouble hearing it from DH one day and me the next when we started tagteamteaching this year.

CLE LA: Love their Learning to Read program but after that all of the repetition and didactics drove us both crazy.

Spelling Workout: Just seemed to be a lot of busy work for DS. DD, on the other hand, will probably like the crosswords and word searches and unscramble the letter things.

Spelling Power: I like it but DH and DS just can't seem to get this one together either.

CLE Science 300: 200 level was fun but the 300 level just got too dry.

CLE Social Studies 300: Again, the 200 level was fun but the 300 level...not so much.

Another 100 EZ lessons hater here...my son started to cry within the first several lessons....I pushed through...and the tantrums got worse. I finally got the brains to chuck the stupid thing.

Singapore Earlybird....not a great fit for my son at all.

Christian Liberty Press The World God Made. Too....bleh. I can't explain why I don't like this.....just the general feeling it gives me...seems like religion masqueraded as science. Maybe it's because even though I'm a Christian I don't believe in young earth views. The whole book just seems so boring and not very scientific.

Incidentally I love most of the stuff from Queen Homeschool...especially the Language Lessons lol. Everyone is so different.

I can't say I've purchased anything *really* terrible, but I was pretty let down by MFW K.

I was also disappointed with MFWK (and I wanted SO badly to love it). The problems could've been me, though...

Wastes of money:

almost every cheap-o workbook that I've bought on a whim (um...and there've been a lot)

My list is going to step on a few sacred cows, but here it is:

Sonlight.

As a curriculum it is a flop. As a list of books pretty good. The IG is a waste of money if bought new.

First Language Lessons

I wanted to love this, I tried to like it. Used FLL 1 in less then a semester. Used FLL2 in about a semester. Dd was bored. I was bored.

Saxon Math

Hate! Everything about this math is like nails on a board.

SOTW

Another one I tried to like. Even started out enjoying it but by the time we left Egypt I felt like I was reading a bunch of tid bits and no real umph. My dd started asking what she was suppose to be getting from ___ story I just read. Maybe as a suppliment.

• 3 weeks later...
My list is going to step on a few sacred cows, but here it is:

First Language Lessons

I wanted to love this, I tried to like it. Used FLL 1 in less then a semester. Used FLL2 in about a semester. Dd was bored. I was bored.

Yep, me too. Used FLL1 and FORCED myself to get through it. Bought FLL2 and then asked myself why I did that. :confused:

We switched to MCT and love it!

Apologia's Exploring Creation series.... very, very, very, strong dislike. Turned me from textbooks for science for a long time. I have a Biology Degree and found these textbooks completely unpalatable. The kids weren't very thrilled with them either (Gee! I wonder why? LOL).

Moving Beyond the Page. I really wanted to like it so much, I researched it and I thought that this was going to be the greatest curriculum for my dd. I received it, was so excited and then we started using it. I then realized that it was just not a good fit for dd. For the first concept she loved it. It was about habitats and she was so happy, then we moved on to community and she now hates it. It's boring and she keeps asking for science (MBTP alternates between science and social studies, at least from what I've experienced). I now realize that we are just a classical education family, dd does better with it instead of a literature based unit type approach!

I made the mistake of buying the whole 6-8 package and only used some concepts and not others. Now I only buy the literature units I think we'll enjoy.

I DO like MBTP very much, but I still find that I need to supplement for grammar, spelling, math,etc. so that makes it very expensive (unless you join the yahoo group and buy used.)

Just reading this onerous thread now (and skipped from about page 10 to get here).

Didn't work for us:

We tried All American History Vol 1 this year with the 10 and 13 year olds and neither liked it. Nor did I. Too many facts weren't sticking. After two or three months, I asked them, "What do you think of this?" and they said, "Hate it!" So, it's gone. We're using (I kid you not...) an American history textbook I bought at Ross (the clothes store) for $6.00.

Saxon math -- I guess every homeschooler does it once, right? For us, it was the oldest that suffered through 5/6 or was it 6/7 years ago. She probably would benefit from counseling due to that experience.

LLATL -- wanted to like, didn't.

Spelling has been a mixed bag at our house. Two kids LOVED and did well with Spelling Power and two hated it. One kid was fine with Spelling Workout and two hated it. One kid did fine with AAS and one hated it. Now, my three older kids can spell okay and I correct them if I catch a misspelling and my youngest loves Reason for Spelling (I think she likes the stories) but I get tired of it myself, but we'll stick with it until she can spell decently.

I bought Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons and began lessons with my DD (just turned 4) last week. Now I keep reading that people hate it. We're not far enough into it yet to know how it will work for us, but I could sure use some encouragement!

So...if there's anyone reading this that had a GOOD experience with this book I would LOVE to hear about it!

Also, if you had some difficulties with it but found ways to make it work then I welcome any suggestions :)

I bought Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons and began lessons with my DD (just turned 4) last week. Now I keep reading that people hate it. We're not far enough into it yet to know how it will work for us, but I could sure use some encouragement!

So...if there's anyone reading this that had a GOOD experience with this book I would LOVE to hear about it!

Also, if you had some difficulties with it but found ways to make it work then I welcome any suggestions :)

I'll offer some encouragement!! :D I'm in the middle of using 100EZ for the second time and it is working wonders once again! My eldest is now a highly competent reader that devours every book in sight. I am very thankful to 100EZ for starting her on that path. My youngest is doing just as well with the program and thrives on the regularity of its rhythm. She loves the silly pictures!

I personally love that 100EZ is scripted. It gave me the direction and confidence that I needed to teach something as fundamental as reading. I know how to read, obviously :tongue_smilie:, but I wasn't sure I intuitively knew how to teach reading. Additionally, I think that 100EZ does an EXCELLENT job of teaching a child how to blend the sounds they learn. A very crucial skill.

My children didn't encounter any difficulty in phasing out the visual crutches used in the program and actually found them helpful; again, especially in learning to blend each sound. However, I will admit that the difficulty in the lessons makes a big jump at around Lesson 50. I dealt with this by turning "100EZ Lessons" more into "150-200EZ Lessons". :lol: We would do the sounds/words portion one day, saving the story for the next. That seems to have kept the kiddos from getting overwhelmed.

Also, we did follow up the program with Phonics Pathways to make sure all phonetic combinations were learned. But Phonics Pathways was such a breeze to use because my girls were already so learned in blending the sounds.

So, all that to say....it worked for us!

We used it and didn't find it that bad. DS and I mixed it up by the middle and did a lesson every other day with an easy reader in between.

I'll be using it again for my youngest but with an aid - tactile letters. I have both the upper and lowercase sets. Instead of putting his finger under the letter and saying the sound when it is first introduced, I'm going to have him trace the arrows as he says it. When we get to the 2-3 letter part, we'll mash the letters together as he adds the sounds.

We won't be doing the writing. At least not unless he's absolutely ready, and even then not all of it. Donnayoung.org still has printouts that go with but I think we'll spend the time doing fine motor skills exercises.

I used it with both of my kids, and we all really liked it! It worked really well for us. My daughters are both excellent readers now. If I had another child, I would use it again.

I passed it on to my sister (who doesn't homeschool) and she successfully taught her son to read with it. She told another friend about it... and so it goes. :D

We didn't do the writing portion though. We skipped that entirely.

Using currently with my 3rd kid and LOVE it. My older 2 are now strong readers thanks to 100EL and LOVE reading (my 2nd loved the stories so much that I scanned them and printed her own little book of the last 25 stories (after the typeset changes to regular) and a year later she still LOVES to read them.

I love that it teaches blending from day #1 (instead of most programs that spend YEARS trying to teach it after-the-fact), and that by the end they're reading at a sold 2nd grade level 200+ word stories on full pages (not a sentence per page). I think that really sets them up to transfer to chapter books and they have no fear of pages filled with words. :D

My 3 suggestions are:

1) if your child struggles, back up 5-10 lessons and try again (just reading the words and stories, not doing all the exercises). There seems to be a jump in difficulty around lesson 25 and 75 and both my girls needed to backtrack for a couple weeks. Don't try to PUSH forward -- the lessons should be easy for them.

2) Don't feel *too* bound by the script. Yes, read the scripted part beforehand to be familiar with it, but adapt to your child. We did handwriting separately and skipped some of the exercises as I saw fit (esp after the first couple weeks). I NEVER had my child read the story more than once, and I NEVER pushed reading "silently" first -- IMO they'll do this when they are ready.

3) You don't have to do a lesson per day. If they are getting overloaded, do the words one day and the story the next, or do it in 2 parts during the day.

Using currently with my 3rd kid and LOVE it. My older 2 are now strong readers thanks to 100EL and LOVE reading (my 2nd loved the stories so much that I scanned them and printed her own little book of the last 25 stories (after the typeset changes to regular) and a year later she still LOVES to read them.

I love that it teaches blending from day #1 (instead of most programs that spend YEARS trying to teach it after-the-fact), and that by the end they're reading at a sold 2nd grade level 200+ word stories on full pages (not a sentence per page). I think that really sets them up to transfer to chapter books and they have no fear of pages filled with words. :D

My 3 suggestions are:

1) if your child struggles, back up 5-10 lessons and try again (just reading the words and stories, not doing all the exercises). There seems to be a jump in difficulty around lesson 25 and 75 and both my girls needed to backtrack for a couple weeks. Don't try to PUSH forward -- the lessons should be easy for them.

2) Don't feel *too* bound by the script. Yes, read the scripted part beforehand to be familiar with it, but adapt to your child. We did handwriting separately and skipped some of the exercises as I saw fit (esp after the first couple weeks). I NEVER had my child read the story more than once, and I NEVER pushed reading "silently" first -- IMO they'll do this when they are ready.

3) You don't have to do a lesson per day. If they are getting overloaded, do the words one day and the story the next, or do it in 2 parts during the day.

Thanks!!

Not that anyone will read this, because it's so late in the thread, but here goes:

MUS Primer - love the manipulatives, the dc didn't like the DVDs or workbooks

FLL - loved the first 20 or so lessons, then couldn't take the repetition anymore

Sequential Spelling - nice concept, totally lost interest. Still debating whether much of spelling just comes "naturally" (with lots of reading) and with age and experience.

Edited by tmoan