Menu

how much would you pay?

Yes, I think it would depend on the person. If it were a SAHM who used to be a teacher and is actually doing a little teaching with your kids, then more. If it's a young homeschooled teen, then less. Elderly neighbor, maybe in the middle... depends also on your area, etc.

Yes, I think it would depend on the person. If it were a SAHM who used to be a teacher and is actually doing a little teaching with your kids, then more. If it's a young homeschooled teen, then less. Elderly neighbor, maybe in the middle... depends also on your area, etc.

This is what I was thinking. If it were an ex-teacher, probably $15-20/hr. A teenager, maybe $8-12/hr. But with the way times are right now, so many out of work, it may be less.

ETA: But the question was, "what would you pay?" For a helper, I'd go with a teenager or SAHM and pay about $10/hr.

Edited by OleanderRain

Okay, more info.

This is a 20-something college graduate. She is married to a local, and is here legally, but is waiting for her work permits to be processed. A mutual friend put us in touch. So, she is not currently employed, has not taught, does not have kids but is a graduate (business school).

She would help with subjects (4th/2nd grade) but also just finger paint with pre-k'er.

Now, what do you think?

Sounds like something temporary for her, I would start someone out like that at about $10/hr and them give an increase every few months.

I agree...I wouldn't expect her to stay too long though. $20-30 per day with being tied down for so little pay isn't likely to be very enticing to her. Add in the idea that she has to be up and out the door in the am, drive to and fro....that make is more like a 3+ hr time commitment for little pay.

Maybe she will be happy to do it, just to have something to do, but just realize that it is most likely going to be temporary.

If you do it, set your ground rules early.

Is she to be there by a certain time? (I would give her a window of time to make it easier for her schedule)

Is she to be dressed in a certain way? (Are you okay with sweats and a hoodie or are you expecting a more professional 'teacher' wardrobe).

Are you paying her x amout for about x hours per day? Or is she going to keep track of hours and you pay in 5 minute increments? Is she supposed to stay until a task is done or just go when her time is up?

Are you going to be in the house....always? What if you have an errand, is she okay being alone with them?

What if your kids are sick? Will you still pay her? What if she is sick? What kind of notice are you going to expect to give/recieve?

Is she going to file the income on her taxes? Get her tax info up front if she is so you have it in case she quits unexpectedly.

When will you pay her, and in what form?

How much notice do you both expect if it isn't working out?

There are numerous threads over the years about hiring help like this, you may want to peruse the old threads to get an idea of more questions.

I agree...I wouldn't expect her to stay too long though. $20-30 per day with being tied down for so little pay isn't likely to be very enticing to her. Add in the idea that she has to be up and out the door in the am, drive to and fro....that make is more like a 3+ hr time commitment for little pay.

Maybe she will be happy to do it, just to have something to do, but just realize that it is most likely going to be temporary.

If you do it, set your ground rules early.

Is she to be there by a certain time? (I would give her a window of time to make it easier for her schedule)

Is she to be dressed in a certain way? (Are you okay with sweats and a hoodie or are you expecting a more professional 'teacher' wardrobe).

Are you paying her x amout for about x hours per day? Or is she going to keep track of hours and you pay in 5 minute increments? Is she supposed to stay until a task is done or just go when her time is up?

Are you going to be in the house....always? What if you have an errand, is she okay being alone with them?

What if your kids are sick? Will you still pay her? What if she is sick? What kind of notice are you going to expect to give/recieve?

Is she going to file the income on her taxes? Get her tax info up front if she is so you have it in case she quits unexpectedly.

When will you pay her, and in what form?

How much notice do you both expect if it isn't working out?

There are numerous threads over the years about hiring help like this, you may want to peruse the old threads to get an idea of more questions.

Thanks.

She lives in the neighborhood and can walk here. It is alright if it is temporary. I will always be here and just want to be able to nurse the baby or go to the loo in peace. I have a ds8 who CANNOT stay on task unless an adult is sitting within 1 inch from him. That will be one of her jobs. :tongue_smilie:

For 10 hours a week, I'd pay $75 a week.

The minimum wage here is $7/hour. This is not a job that requires someone to have specific abilities required by a college education. It is cleaner, easier, and faster to get to than McDonald's. The person does not have supervisory responsibilities in that another adult will be right there in the house. She will be a helper, not the Big Cheese.

Edited by RoughCollie

Well, if she's just in it to make pin money, so to speak, I guess I'd offer $100 a week. Remember she has to pay roughly 30% of that in taxes.

I'd be sure to get my money's worth, tho--have her work with the most distracting child for at least one of those hours, so you can maximize your time.